Myself and five of my friends decided to enjoy another ride in one of our favorite local trail systems: Juan Tomas Open Space.
It was a perfectly gorgeous day and Apache and I led the ride.
It was a perfectly gorgeous day and Apache and I led the ride.
We shared one of the trails I discovered with my kids this year during our Mother's Day hike.
The trail travels along the far eastern boundary of the Open Space, so I named it The Boundary Trail.
Boundary Trail isn't listed on any maps and doesn't have any signage, but it is well used and easy to follow.
Boundary Trail is only about two miles long, but it connects to the main loop trail called Ponderosa Trail, so it creates a really nice loop option.
Everyone stopping in a meadow so Roxanne could adjust her horse's tack.
I always enjoy riding in Juan Tomas Open Space because the trail surfaces are mostly smooth, there are a lot of tall trees with abundant shade and it's just very peaceful and pretty.
It's easy to find my Zen and just focus on my horse and the beautiful nature all around us.
My trail selfie showing just how beautiful and peaceful the trails are.
There is also an abundance of scrub oaks which provide lush green walls and tunnels. In the Fall, the scrub oaks turn beautiful shades of red, orange and copper.
We rode for a couple hours and then we stopped for lunch.
I found a wonderful lunch spot beneath the tall ponderosa trees, perfect for tying up our horses and giving them cooling shade.
And there was a cozy rock grotto for all of us to sprawl out and relax while we ate our lunches.
Of course, Gin caught me with my mouth full.
Apache always looks forward to seeing me after lunch because I always have an oats and honey granola bar to give to her.
I decided to do a walk-a-bout after lunch and take a photo of everyone with their horse.
Gin and Mimi.
Roxanne and Shadow
Renee and Roxanne's horse, Taco. She borrowed him for the day so she could ride with us.
Ginny and her horse Tibi.
Yvonne and her horse, Etta Bay.
And, Yvonne took a photo of me and my sweet mare, Apache, the One Eyed Wonder Horse!
After lunch, I led everyone up to Look-Out Rock to enjoy the spectacular vistas looking south towards the Manzano Mountains.
Yvonne is like me, always smiling when riding her horse.
The trails are never boring and always beautiful here.
My Happy-To-Be-On-My-Horse-Out-In-Nature Selfie!
To create a fun loop, we also rode in the Cibola National Forest for part of our ride.
There are even signs at the border between the Open Space and the National Forest.
And the vegetation is so thick, lush and green.
And I always love riding beneath the tall pines.
We rode for over 3 hours and then untacked and watered our horses back at our trailers.
Apache's eye socket 3 months after her eye was removed. Looks great!
She loves for me to rub my fingers all around inside her eye socket and along her scar.
After our horses were untacked and cooled off, we led them into the shade of the forest and then we all gathered together for ice cold beers in the shade, too.
Great conversation, lots of laughter, and ice cold beers. What a perfect way to end an awesome ride!

No comments :
Post a Comment