Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Pine Flats Ride Adventure

Rarely do any of my riding companions lead or guide a ride. I am almost always the route finder, map reader and trusty trail leader.

But being trail leader, doesn't always mean that my mare and I are actually out in front leading.
Although we enjoy leading in front sometimes, Apache and I most enjoy riding way, far in the back, doing our own thing strolling through the forest on beautiful trails. It's quiet and peaceful and it's easy to find my Zen, and I think Apache can feel that Zen, too, and recognizes how peaceful I feel when it's just her and I on the trail together.
But I don't feel it's safe to ride alone, so we invite our trail riding companions to join us.

And this ride was no different.


Apache and I far behind, enjoying our quiet time in the forest.


Finding my Zen surrounded by gorgeous nature!



Trail Selfie of myself and Apache, my One-Eyed Wonder Horse!


It was a gorgeous morning with the sounds of birds and the cool shade of the ponderosa trees.



The pines provide year round color while the oak trees provide 3-seasons of color.


I am never happier than when I am riding my horse.


Ready to "thread-the-needle" between the trees.


Feels like we have the trail all to ourselves!


 Pure joy!


 My riding companions had to always wait at trail junctions to ask me which way to go, so I knew that we would always catch up with them. Apache never seemed concerned. She trusts me. And I'm honored that she does.

 

I still enjoy going off-trail, and exploring trails that I've never seen on a map. I get bored always riding the same established old trails, and realize that often the best trails are discovered by exploration and curiosity. Of which, I have both, in abundance. 

Thankfully, most of my riding companions trust my ability to keep us from getting lost. They know that I have never gotten us lost and that I have a built in GPS system in my brain. I am just very good with direction and finding my way. I always have been, although I have sometimes been less assertive about my abilities and allowed others to intimidate me and sway me to go in the opposite direction that I know is right. And then we've gotten lost.
Ok. I take that back. They have gotten us lost and I allowed them to do it.

Ok, I digress.

On this day, I wanted to check out a new-to-me-trail that I had spied on a previous trail ride, but had never seen on any maps that I use.  
One of my riding companions was gung-ho and eager to explore. The other riding companion...not so much.
But, it was two against one and I had a very good idea where the trail would take us, and even provide a short-cut, so I was confident that it was a great idea to explore this trail.
So, we took our trail detour.

 

  They did ask Apache and I to lead after we'd ridden a short way down the trail, and we happily obliged.


And wow! What a gorgeous trail it was! It felt like a little hidden forest paradise lined on two sides by steep canyon walls, with huge boulders and lush green vegetation all around. I decided to name it "Boulder Canyon Trail".



It was a wonderful adventure, but we did have some drama towards the end of the ride. A small tree had fallen across the trail and it was too low for our horses to walk beneath, even being led through. But there was a shallow arroyo just below the trail and one of my riding companions suggested heading down there to forge a detour around the fallen tree obstacle. While she was heading down into the arroyo, I dismounted and tried to move the fallen tree off the trail, although I had left my folding saw and saddle saw back in my trailer. The fallen tree was not budging, so I agreed with my arroyo-bushwhacking riding companion that her idea was the best choice.





But here's where the drama comes in. The other riding companion was causing a commotion and an embarrassing scene screaming and complaining, the entire time that the rest of us were working together to find a way around the obstacle. She wanted to head back the way we came and felt it was too dangerous to ride off trail around the obstacle.
And the more that this person screamed and complained, the more her horse got upset, excited and worked up. Her horse was dancing around, confused and scared. I think myself and the other riding companion just wanted to tell her to shut the heck up! 
I knew that if we turned around and went back the way we came it would take us an additional hour to get back to the trail head. I knew that if we continued forward and around the obstacle, we would be back at the trail head within 15 minutes!

And I was right. We all rode down, into and back out, of that arroyo to get around the fallen tree obstacle, and 15 minutes later we arrived at our trailers.


But even after we arrived back at the trailers, the previously screaming riding companion was still sullen and pouting, and I felt that was extremely rude, thoughtless, ungrateful and selfish. I had just guided her on a wonderful trail ride for several hours and I got her safely back at her trailer. I wanted to tell her "Let it go"! You were wrong, and we were right! Now, start working on your own self control, so your horse learns that she can trust that you won't wig out anytime plans change! Learn to go with the flow and relax, and breathe!

She did finally kind of-apologize and admitted that she got too upset. She basically just told me and the other riding companion, to force her to drink some liquor next time she acts that way. Hmmm..... 


Well, it was still a great ride and a wonderful exploration of a new-to-me-trail!







No comments :