Saturday, November 18, 2017

Gutierrez Canyon & Micro-Brewery Ride


Well I always enjoy riding at Gutierrez Canyon Open Space. Me and this open space have a pretty long history together. And it helps that this open space is only a 20 minute drive from my house.

This past summer the Rocky Mountain Youth Corps did a lot of volunteer trail work including building new trails to divert users away from old trails that have been closed due to erosion.

The new trails are beautiful and adventurous.


I love that my mare trusts me enough to travel on any trails that I ask her to, even though she only has one eye. She truly is a Wonder Horse!


The new trails take full advantage of the beautiful trees as they wind through them.


I am in love with the shadows and dapples that the sun makes as it shines through the branches.


Apache and I often find our zen as we meander our way through the lovely forest, enjoying the peace and quiet.


But the trail designers and builders also planned some spectacular sections of trail with breathtaking vistas.


Apache and I always stop to take in the views. One of the things that I love about my beautiful mare.



Trail Vista Selfie!


Always interesting and pretty.



Even with the trails being narrow with steep drop-offs, Apache proves to me that she can handle it. She is very attuned to my right leg to push her away from the edge and she listens to my voice when I tell her "over".


Yvonne and her mare Etta Bay pulling up the rear.


Stopping for lunch, Loretta and her gelding, Duke.


Yvonne posing at our lunch stop.


Someone snapped a photo of me letting Apache enjoy a few bites of grass during lunch.



Interesting terrain.


Yvonne and Etta Bay riding through an arroyo.


Amazing New Mexico clouds above Loretta and Roxanne.



Always smiling Roxanne and her gelding Shadow.


Loretta enjoying the vistas.


I love how the trails hug the sides of the mountain and wind around and up and down. So fun!


The ABQ Open Space Volunteers built this impressive stone bridge a few years ago. It's a fun trail obstacle to ride across.


Riding back to the spacious trail head parking area. My trailer's in the middle. Impressive Sandia Mountains vistas as our backdrop.


After we unsaddled and watered our horses, we walked over to the Ale Republic Brewery right next door to the trailhead parking area to enjoy some delicious beer!
Loretta, Roxanne, Yvonne and me!


The entire time we were enjoying our handcrafted beers, we could keep an eye on our horses. What a prefect location for a brewery! haha!




Life is Good!

No comments :