We had a few unexpected surprises come up (besides the barn snafus). We have to get our pipe going up to the barn, repaired because it burst this past winter when our temps stayed below zero for several days.
It's been a royal pain having to carry buckets of water up the hill to the barn every day. And with the horse (they drink far more than llamas do! hehe) it's a necessity to get the water working again.
The guy doing our fencing gets things nice and straight using surveying equipment. He's a pretty nice guy and let me have a peek into his transit, which I was very impressed with. It's amazing how far you can see through the scope and with so much detail, too.(Click photo for larger view). That large tree in the center there is a pinon tree. Pinon nuts are so yummy toasted and sprinkled on a salad!

The horse paddock will be about a 1/2 acre (to the right in the picture) and borders our barn on the north side, an empty pasture behind our property to the west, our neighbor's barn and horses to the south side, and our own pasture to the east, which will be about 1 1/2 acres after the horse paddock and llama/goat pasture is fenced in. I'm leaving this area empty for extra grazing and open space, but mostly as an area for me ride our new horse.

The tractor pushing the llama/goat pasture stakes into the ground (as seen from my kitchen)

The fence ready to be tied onto the stakes.

The barn addition is just about done now. We've had an excellent structural engineer come out and inspect it twice and show our contractors what to do to bring it up to safer standards, and we've only got a couple things left to do and the barn will be completely done. Yay!

It's really great having that extra 8 feet extension on the barn. It not only provides shelter from the blowing wind and snow, but it's providing shade on hot days. (Today we had temps close to 70 degrees! I got a sunburn while I was outside, too!)

I'm in the barn looking out (southeast).
2 comments :
I dream of a new barn, alas, we must work with what we have.
I have barn envy!
Post a Comment