Thursday, April 10, 2008

Critter Walking

Jenna likes to take Moon Pie for walks on a leash, even though he really doesn't need one. Wherever we go, he walks right beside us. But walking on a leash is probably good practice for 4H, parades and PR, so we'll keep doing it, since Moon Pie doesn't seem to mind.
It's funny how the llamas seem to be the leaders as they browse the paddock all day, but once we join them, we humans are the leaders, and we are followed wherever we go. Ironically, we don't even hand out treats in the pasture, either. They just seem to gravitate to us because they like being near us.

Jenna likes to call it our "Critter Parade".
Walking a goat is fun.
My sweet Luna smiling at me. Can't you just see the love in her eyes? I swear that girl steals my heart! That's Cloud, beside her. He's a cutie, too. Rcently he had a bout of bloat that kept me worried and in the barn most of the day and night. It was my fault, though, feeding too much grain. From my goat friend, Kat, I learned how to treat him myself and not to kill 'em with kindness giving too many treats. It's tough because goats are just so sweet and cute, but I don't want to ever go through the fear of losing any of my goats to bloat again.

The odd thing about me spending so much time treating him for his bloat is that he seems more affectionate and friendly towards me. I suppose being force-fed vegetable oil, probios, and being chased around so you don't lay down and put pressure on your lungs, and then being massaged vigorously...for several hours...can make a goat and human much closer. (giggle)
Here's pretty Lily saying Hello!
Lily and Cataleya are pals.
Walking up the hill to the barn.
The Critter Parade!
It was a cold, windy day, but we love to hang out with the animals.

4 comments :

Christy said...

I want a critter parade! How fun.

Carla said...

It's funny, they aren't really even looking at you (like maybe you had a treat or something). Everyone is just going on a walk. "And a little child shall lead them".

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Christy,
Thanks for stopping by. I know ou will have your own critter parade very soon. And you are always welcome to come visit us and join our critter parade.

CeeCee,
Oooh! I so like what you said about the little child who leads them. Thank you!

Egghead said...

I love that first photo of Jenna taking the animals for a walk. I would have that framed. We have a neighbor with llamas and they named their black one "Obama Llama". Makes me chuckle.