Sunday, June 15, 2008
Saturday Horse Riding
On Saturday my friend and neighbor Valerie, her daughter and myself took all of our horses out for some riding out in the 'back 40', on some of the country roads near our houses, and around her arena.
It was a busy day for her Arabian Mare, Annie, who had been trailered to the Vet that morning for a pre-maternity visit, then trailered back for a farrier visit and trim at home. And it was a monumental moment for Valerie because it was the first time that all three of her horses had been taken out together for riding and the first time that spirited Arabian Annie had been on trails or roads beside the back 40.
We were all amazed at how calm and focused Annie was. Maybe it was because all three of her horse posse were with her or maybe she was feeling confidant after she figured out how to master the trailering finally. Or maybe she has just finally calmed down now that she is 15.
Whatever the reason we all had a great ride together. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Valerie and her daughter and the day was just beautiful, hot, but breezy.
We didn't ride Valerie's 3 horses for too long, though, and tried to keep them off the roads because they were a little sensitive after getting their feet trimmed.
When we got back to the barn, we saddled up my Baby Doll and I rode her in the arena. She seemed very pouty when she saw me leaving on Nadia earlier, so I was glad to finally get up there and ride Baby Doll for a little while.
It was a big day for me and Baby Doll, too. Because I used my new Amish Made Henry Miller saddle today, both on Nadia and on Baby Doll.
The saddle seemed to fit Baby Doll really well and was comfie and roomy in the withers and shoulder. The saddle is designed for gaited horses, but it's great for horses with higer withers or who need more room in the shoulders to move freely.
And I can't say enough about the comfort for the human. wow!
I rode for the first time without any discomfort or pain in my knees, hips, legs, or back. The saddle, with it's suspended, gel-padded, seat is like riding on a cloud. So comfie up there!
And I like my Endurance stirrups that came with my saddle, too. They are very roomy and have a thick padded foot rest. So nice!
Saturday was also fun because my one twin son, Jackson rode Nadia in the arena bareback. He was so happy to be on a horse that actually did what was asked, after riding that camp horse, 'wolf' recently...the horse fatter than an oil barrel.
And Nadia is over 20 yrs old and super patient. Thank goodness.
Another big deal about Saturday is that it was the first time that Rancher John rode Baby Doll, too. He was a little nervous as he can count the times he's been on a horse on one hand. But he did seem to enjoy himself up there and my saddle, too.
Baby Doll was a little bit bratty though and tried to test him a few times by not doing what was asked and then trying to take off back to me a few times.
It was getting dark and was dinnertime for her so we weren't too hard on her. I was hungry, too!
Wanna See some pictures? I made a slideshow that you can see below:
Saturday Horse Ride
Related Categories
Critters
,
Dakota's Baby Doll
,
East Mountains
,
Family
,
Farm Life
,
Friends
,
Horses
,
Jax
,
John
,
Lisa
,
New Mexico
,
Saddle
,
Trail Ride
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
7 comments :
Yeah! The whole time I read this post I was hoping you'd have some pictures! That slide show was really great! It looks like you had a beautiful ride with your friends. Your new saddle looks comfy and unique. We were hoping to do a trail ride this weekend, but one of my sister's mare was a bit lame so we didn't get out.
That's great that you love your new saddle - it looks really cool.
Loved the photos - looks like you guys had a nice ride!
I might have to look into getting a saddle like that - but maybe next year. I found out that I can trade in my 2 saddles that don't fit at my local tack shop and get credit for them so I can buy a new one to get me by for now. I think I'll be riding English for a while.
sounds like you all had a great day, loved the slide show, the horses are all really adorable and look so well behaved.
Thanks for sharing all those pictures. John and Jackson look like happy cowboys up there. I'm glad the saddle worked out well. I recently switched back to my old, cheap saddle just for a change and was amazed by the difference in comfort levels for both me and the horse. It really pays to invest in a good saddle.
I love the pics of those beautiful horses. And you picked out the perfect saddle for Baby Doll.
As a kid my sister and cousins had horses and your stories bring back such great memories.
now I hope I can post this comment, the last few I have left never showed up. Wacky computers.
It certainly sounds like you are enjoying that new saddle. I guess like most things in life... you get what you pay for. Cliche, but true! Enjoy!
Pony Girl, Laura, Nuzzlling Muzzles, Grey Horse Matters, Sugar Creek Stuff, and Rural Writer,
Thanks so very much for stopping by my blog and leaving such wonderful and friendly comments.
I appreciate them all and am so glad you stopped by for a visit.
I'm glad you like my saddle, too. It's always difficult to spend so much money on something...just for fun...and for no other use but to rest your butt on. But like you all said, you get what you pay for and it will probably last longer than me and even my grandchildren.
And it really is so comfy. haha!
Post a Comment