Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't Cry. It's All Good.

Ever since I enjoyed a nice visit with Linda
over at the 7MSN, and she turned me on to Pioneer Woman, by making me one of Ree's yummy recipes: Crash Hot Potatoes, I've been trying out some of Pioneer Woman's delicious recipes.

With the weather getting cooler, I'm in the baking and cooking mode. The house just feels warmer, cozier and is filled with delicious aromas.

Yesterday, after making Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings my entire family thought we had all died and gone to heaven. Forget about those chain restaurant 'Awesome Blossom thingies', these Onion Strings are absolutely AMAZING!

First I sliced the onions paper thin (and cried a little, like I always do) and then soaked them in milk mixed with white vinegar (I didn't have buttermilk on hand). Then I tossed the milky onion slices into the flour/spice mixture until coated.Then it was time to fry, baby!Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow! So yummy!
I was able to make 4 batches from one and half onions. My family was like a bunch of seagulls diving down to grab them faster than I could get them on the paper towel!

Light and crispy with a zingy taste of spice. They were just so dang good!If you haven't visited Pioneer Woman's Cooking blog, I encourage you to do so right NOW. You will never regret it.
If you've already been there and have enjoyed some of her recipes, I'd sure love it if you could share your favorites with me and why you enjoyed them so much.

17 comments :

Grammy said...

This makes me soo hungry. Thanks for sharing how well they came out.

Pony Girl said...

I made those last summer! We had them with hamburgers. Everyone was impressed. And I only burnt myself a tiny bit on the hot oil cooker! ;) I baked sugar cookies at school w/the kids yesterday. I almost forgot the egg! I was laughing. I love to bake, but w/nine kiddos there and limited time, it was a riot!

Amanda said...

I have tried many of her recipes and DAMN THEY'RE SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! I would tell you my favourite, but I don't know it! :) The chicken with bowties was delicious, and the roasted garlic mashed potatoes!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but now i have to try these onion strings tonight! :)

Melanie said...

Ohhhhh yummmy!!!!! Who doesn't want to cook like Ree? I have made her garlic mashed potato things, and they were heavenly.

My main problem with her recipes? Since they are real food that use real ingedients, I often do not have the time to make them...maybe I should plan my meals a little better! Now there is an idea...lol!!!

Glad your family enjoyed those onion strings...send some my way....

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, those look so good! I am going to have to cook some up.
You asked about the omelette. Here is how I have cooked them for the last 30 years,(ugh,that sounds like a long time).
In a bowl beat 2 or 3 eggs with a fork.Add about a tablespoon of water beat a little more.
Have about 2 tablespoons of butter melted in a non stick frying pan over med. heat. Make sure the pan and butter has heated good.
Pour the eggs in and tilt the frying pan to get the eggs all around the pan. Let it cook until you see it getting solid looking. Put whatever filling you want on one side of the eggs so you can turn the other side over it.
I flip the whole omelette over with a big spatula and cook the other side.
There you have it.Easy wasn't it?
Have a good day.
Pam

Grey Horse Matters said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious I think I will try them too!

Gone2theDawgs said...

I have avoided PW cooking blog like the plague.....just what I need to do cook up a bunch of tasty foods...my clothes are fitting kinda tight anyway. I love reading her "regular" blog. I'm just going to have to break down I guess and start trying some of her recipes and then starve myself for a few days after consuming it all....sigh. Those onion strings look delicious!!

Andrea said...

I like a lot of her stuff. My favorite is her brisket. I cook that all the time. But I use a roast instead of a brisket. So good. And her mashed potatos are yummy, and the Pasta A la Besty is to die for!! I haven't tried those onion rings. I will have to. They look good. I haven't been over to her blog in a while. I go on PW kicks off and on.

Andrea said...

I like a lot of her stuff. My favorite is her brisket. I cook that all the time. But I use a roast instead of a brisket. So good. And her mashed potatos are yummy, and the Pasta A la Besty is to die for!! I haven't tried those onion rings. I will have to. They look good. I haven't been over to her blog in a while. I go on PW kicks off and on.

Jamie said...

I wish I liked to cook, but I hate it - I guess because I am not good at it. I always burn something or do not cook it long enough.

Those look great !
Thanks for the sweet comments.
I had a blast at the show.

I love The Pioneer Woman's blog - that is the first blog I ever read.

Keep up the cooking - maybe it will insprire me !

Carla said...

I've been reading Ree since she was about 6 months into her blog. It's been fun watching her grow, but it doesn't feel the same. She's gotten sooo big. I still have her bookmarked and read her every day--just don't comment anymore.
Her cooking blog is dangerous! You need a diet Coke with every recipe.

Dan and Betty said...

I love onions in general, and onion strings in particular. I'll definitely check out her cooking blog.

Dan

Christy said...

I like her spicy mac and cheese. I haven't tried many of her recipes, they aren't the type of things hubby like generally.

white_lilly said...

Oh my! She can cook and forget about the calories. You should try her cinnamon rolls, absolute heaven! so warm, sticky, gooey, yummy yum yum
Darn it! I'll have to go and make some now, thanks Lisa

Egghead said...

I have tried quite a few things from her site. My family loves her brisket and I make her pico de gallo all the time. I have made the spicy mac and cheese and the crushed potatoes yum! Oh and her chocolate sheet cake. I like her cooking and photography stuff the best.

GreyWolf said...

Oh GREAT, Thanks a lot. Now I HAVE to go to PW's cooking blog, and I just KNOW I'll be making those onions tonight. I am going to be "turning you in" to my Dr. and cardiologist as the cause of my weight gain and high cholesterol at my next check ups.
I guess I had better WALK to your place so you can "work" it off me!!! :)

The Wades said...

I love all things Pioneer Woman! She is so creative and awesome.

I especially love her sheet cake. Yummo.