Monday, December 29, 2008

Toffee Treats and Ortho Appointment

Just what I needed after my crazy week. A package was delivered to my house with my name on it. When I realized it was from English Toffee Anytime, I was so excited! Andrea from Swamp Suburbia had invited her readers to enter a contest to be the first of 40 readers to receive FREE toffee. I entered at the last minute, but was immediately contacted by Ron as being the 39th person. Woot!
And I cannot say enough good things about this decadent, rich toffee. It is the best toffee I have ever tasted, honest! It is the kind of toffee that you can feel generous about when giving to others as a gift. I love that the ingredients are pure. I asked for the dark chocolate version and the only ingredients are almonds, semi-sweet chocolate, sugar and butter and pure vanilla. The pieces are huge and delicious to the last bite. The quality truly shines through. Check out English Toffee Aytime to order some for yourself NOW!


Mmm...After wiping the chocolate off my lips, it was time for my hubby to drive me to the hospital in Albuquerque to the Orthopaedic Department, for my first visit to the Dr.
I was feeling pretty good seeing all the equine magazines, while waiting in the exam room. I realized that my Dr. must be a horse rider and/or owner. And he is.

Dr. Atler gave me a physical exam by manipulating my leg and knee. Some of the swelling has gone done a bit, but the knee is still very tender, painful and 'loose'. So the exam was quite uncomfortable.

Dr. Atler believes I've damaged or torn my meniscus.
I learned that there are two C-shaped pieces of cartilage known as the menisci (plural:meniscus) that curve around the inside and outside of the knee to stabilize and cushion the joint.
Any activity that causes forceful twists or rotates the knee can lead to a torn meniscus.
Signs and symptoms of this type of injury include:

~Pain (CHECK)
~Swelling that occurs slowly, as long as 24 to 36 hours after the injury. (CHECK)
~Inability to straighten the knee; the knee may feel locked in place.(CHECK)
This is a drawing showing the knee and miniscus.

The knee contains four ligaments — tough bands of tissue that connect the thighbone(femur) to the lower leg bones(tibia and fibula). One of my collateral ligaments — the one on the outside(lateral collateral ligament) is most likely sprained. The anterior cruciate ligament(ACL) stretches diagonally from the thigh bone and connects near the front of the shinbone. Dr. Atkins believes my ACL is torn.
An ACL tear is likely to cause:

~Immediate pain that worsens when trying to walk or bend the knee (CHECK)
~A popping sound (I CAN'T REMEMBER)
~An inability to bear weight on the injured knee (CHECK)
~A feeling that the knee might buckle(CHECK)

An injury to the anterior cruciate ligament can be a debilitating musculoskeletal injury.
Continued activity on a knee with an ACL injury can have devastating consequences, resulting in massive cartilage damage, leading to an increased risk of developing osteoarthritis later in life.

The ACL primarily serves to stabilize the knee in an extended position and when surrounding muscles are relaxed; so if the muscles are strong, many people can function without it.

The term for non-surgical treatment for ACL rupture is "conservative management", and it often includes physical therapy and using a knee brace. Lack of an ACL increases the risk of other knee injuries such as a torn meniscus, so activities with cutting and twisting motions are strongly discouraged. For patients who frequently participate in such sports, surgery is often indicated.

And for me, my Dr. recommends knee reconstruction and repair surgery.

The surgery is typically undertaken arthroscopically, with tunnels drilled into the femur and tibia at approximately the original ACL attachments. The graft is then placed into position and held in place. A variety of fixation devices are available, including screws, buttons and posts. The graft typically attaches to the bone within six to eight weeks. The original collagen tissue in the graft acts as a scaffold and new collagen tissue is laid down in the graft with time. Which is why the graft takes over six months to reach maximal strength.

After surgery, the knee joint loses flexibility, and the muscles around the knee and in the thigh atrophy. Treatment requires extensive physical therapy to regain muscle strength around the knee and restore range of motion (ROM). Often the lengthy rehabilitation period may be more difficult to deal with than the actual surgery.

A rehabilitation period of six months to a year is required to regain strength and use. After surgery no athletic activity is advised for 6 to 7 months. Whether the ACL deficient knee is reconstructed or not, the patient is susceptible to early onset of chronic degenerative joint disease.
I'm still waiting for my MRI and then we'll know the exact damages. I'm a realist, but I'm going to try thinking positive and hoping for the best outcome possible.

Here's a diagram showing the ACL location.

For some reason I believed the rehab period would only take about 6 weeks...not 6months to a year! Gah! That's half a year to get back to normal. And worst of all, that's 6 months before I can even sit on my horse's back or ride the trails again.
I was on bedrest for a month when I was prego with my twins and thought I would go insane! And it's only been a week since my fall, and I am SO through with these freaking crutches and not being able to go freely up and down the stairs. I'm already tired of being tired, sore, and weak. I'm fed up with having to let everyone else do the things I used to do.

I sat in the exam room with tears streaming down my face, letting the news sink in. I felt like an elephant had sat on my chest. My heart ached. Not being able to play with my goats, snuggle with my llamas, feed my sheep, gather the chicken eggs is tough enough.

But having lost the ability to groom my beautiful painted mare, give her cookies, apples and carrots, halter her and take her for a walk, wrap my arms around her neck, tucking my face into her fuzzy fur and breathing in that earthy
horse smell is absolutely killing me.

I consider myself a pretty tough cookie, but I can't help from crying, especially when I see my horse and other critters out in the paddock. Please. Can someone tell me how I'm going to survive this ordeal?

I know this picture is awful, but can you sort of see my mare trying to figure out where my voice is coming from? Too cute! Do you think she misses me as much as I miss her?

John took this photo of me as we were leaving the hospital. My face was a puffy mess after all my crying.
And you can bet that, as soon as I got home from the Ortho, I burrowed into the English Toffee Anytime box. Made me feel just a tiny bit better.


Happy New Year from

28 comments :

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh how horrible! I'll be thinking of you. At least it is correctable....
Kris

Claire MW said...

Oh Lisa, my heart breaks for you! That is so difficult to imagine - not being able to ride for so long. There must be a way....your horse would probably be horrified, but could you ride on a lead in a circle, just to be able to ride and remind your horse that you love to ride? My boss had a torn ACL and she was limping for quite a while but she improved with the rehab quite quickly after some initial pain. The toffee is bound to help improve your mood, but doesn't compare to being out with the animals. I will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I guess it is a lesson in patience, but what a brutal lesson.

Be well my friend.

Gail said...

Docs tell you the worst and then when you are not that bad, they take the credit. Praying you are not as injured as you think!
Don't give up on miracles yet.

Christy said...

I'm so sorry about all this. What an ordeal! There has to be a way to get you out to the barn and let you just sit there with the animals. If you can get to a car, seems like someone could get you to the barn. Hubby owes you big time, can't he carry you out there? Or bring the animals up to the deck to visit you, at least Baby Doll. And a few chickens could come into the bathroom with you (easier to clean up after them). Let's think creatively here.

ezra_pandora said...

Hey wait!! I thought you had to keep the little blog ad up for 6 months THEN you get the toffee. Well I just screwed myself out of free toffee then! sheesh. I suppose I need to read a little better next time.

I'm so sorry to hear. Let's just hope, pray and cross our fingers that your MRI shows the most minor injury possible. Can you use your mare as part of your rehab in someway? I mean, maybe you can get up using a stool and just let your leg hang and you can ride around the safe areas where she doesn't spook? Total knee reconstruction would really really suck.

I'm thinking about you, I hope he gave you the worse case scenario and it isn't as bad.

Grammy said...

Just stopped by to give you a big hug. And wish you and your family a Happy New Year. I also pray you will make a full recovery.
Grammy

Cheryl Ann said...

You WILL survive, just as I survived the news that I can't ride for another 6 months! Hey, we're both in the same boat! My orthopedic doctor told me, "You'll NEVER ride a horse again!" to which I replied, "Oh, YES I WILL!" and I will. Think positive thoughts. Do some reading, knitting...anything to keep yourself busy! We're all help to support you and that's important also! I think the most important part of healing is to be positive. My cousin once had a horse fall over backwards on her. She injured her back, but by eating a healthy diet and keeping positive thoughts, Valerie completely recovered. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! "Mind over matter."

Linda G. said...

O Lisa, I'm crying with you! I'm so sorry you have to go through this....
I do believe your horse misses you too..
Gee, I'd like to cheer you up, but as my Graddaughter, who is reading this with me says, "It sucks!"
You will get through this though and you know you'll have lots of loving support:)
I dropped in to wish you a Happy,HEALTHY, and prosperous New Year! A much better one!
Hugs,
Linda

gtyyup said...

How are you going to survive? You just will.

You're a very strong woman with places to go and things to do and see...you have all the reasons on earth to survive...and recuperate.

I know this doesn't make it any better or easier, but we're here for you. To listen and give support.

(((Hugs))) my dear. And, enjoy that English Toffee...it looks delicious!

Unknown said...

You're a cowgirl that's how you will get through this.

Were tough - and life knocks us down and knocks us around sometimes but we always pick up and move on down the path - like my friend once told me "We are cowgirls we can cry along the way."

I know easy for me to say I am alot further along in the healing process than you - but I still can't ride and they say it's a no no till spring, which will be about 6 months for me, the longest I've ever gone since I was a baby without riding.

Soon hopefully you will be able to at least get to hobble outside and visit them - being able to do that for me was a sanity saver. Try to refocus your efforts on kinds of things you can do from your laptop and from inside the house. Tack to clean? Things to organize? Maybe start a new blog - maybe take some online courses or how about picking up some new books? Try to keep busy - and yet still rest alot.

Time will pass - slowly, but it will still pass. Get your surgery as soon as you can so you can start healing.

I am sorry you are going through this too...I know it sucks.

PS - You might want to give those other kind of crutches a try...like maybe you can try them out somewhere and see if you'd like them better (but you may have to wait till you're more stable - the doc will know if they could work for you).

DesertHen said...

WOW...what an apt.for you and all of that info to take in and digest!! Thank you for the update and I will keep those positive thoughts that the MRI will come back better then expected. You will get through this no matter what! Once they figure it all out and get you in a brace...you will be able to move around and get out to see your horse and critters. Our boss had the knee surgery you are talking about after a snowmobile incident....he was up and moving around again with the brace on after a few weeks. He was able to work, drive tractor, etc.....with lots of physical therepy, you will do fine. Keep a positive attitude and outlook...chin up! I know it is easier said then done.....but you must live in the "now" and accept the present moment for what it is. Yeah, I read A New Earth and it really hit home and sunk in for me. I don't think I would be sitting here at this desk or have this job if I hadn't read that book last spring....okay, I'll be quiet now.....I'm probably driving you nuts....=D ((((HUGS)))) to you and here's me email if you want to write....deserthenatgmaildotcom

sugarcreekstuff said...

Terrible news. I sure hope everything goes well and you heal quickly.

Jocelyn said...

Oh girl I am so sorry!
I was off for two months before surgery due to the painful numbness and neck instability, and then ANOTHER two and a half months after that! I could go out and nuzzle them, but defintly no riding. I suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. You'll get through it, toffee, coffee and blogging will help.. some...Wow, what a bummer, but you'll be as good as semi-new soon!

Jocelyn said...

Oh girl I am so sorry!
I was off for two months before surgery due to the painful numbness and neck instability, and then ANOTHER two and a half months after that! I could go out and nuzzle them, but defintly no riding. I suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. You'll get through it, toffee, coffee and blogging will help.. some...Wow, what a bummer, but you'll be as good as semi-new soon!

Andrea said...

Oh Lisa, I feel so sorry for you! What a horrible Dr. apt. My friend tore her ACl on my trampoline in high school. She was big into dance and she was out for a year. She had to wear a knee brace for a while. But she was walking not long after surgery. So, I have faith that you will be able to visit the barn and all your animals soon.

And I am so glad that your toffee has made you feel better. I love that it's called Life's Essential Induglence. It's so true. I hope you are feeling better soon. And keep us posted on what the MRI said.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I feel bad for you Lisa, but hang in there you will get through it, simply because you have to. Things might not be as bad as you think, wait for the MRI, As I said before I've been through the arthroscopic surgery on both knees for meniscus tears and it wasn't bad at all. You'll be on your feet again before you know it. In the meantime enjoy the toffee and see if you can find some sheepskin for the crutches the cushioning will help the pits. Happy New Year.

Tammy Vasa said...

Now is the time to bargain with the dr. Remember when we used to get perms and they would tell us not to wash our hair for 48 hours? Well, my friend who is a beauty operator said they exaggerated 48 to at least 12 to 24 hours from their client. Never had a perm fail! LOL!

I broke my ankle shortly before a big ride. Dr. said no riding for 6 weeks (yeah, I got the 6 week deal you were hoping for). But the problem was, I had a big ride coming up in 4 weeks, so 6 just wasn't going to work. So when I went in for my 3 week check-up, I took my stirrup with me. I told the cast man that the cast could not be any bigger than the width of the stirrup! And the doc went along with it! So it was really like the perm thing. Really!!! LOL!

In all seriousness - the doc knows best. Good luck in your recovery, be a model patient & you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Celeste said...

Lisa,
I am so sorry, I cried reading your post so I can only imagine how you are feeling. It is amazing how the animals in our life are such a huge component. My heart goes out to you and I hope your recovery is quicker than the Doctor thinks.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Well that sucks!

You seem to be in good hands though. Ya gotta love that you have a 'horse' doctor looking after you.

Re: the crutches thing. You're not really supposed to put all your weight on the crutches with your armpits. The idea is that you tuck them under your arms and then support most of your weight on your arms & hands. Ideally, very little weight is borne by your pits.

As for getting out to mingle with all your animals, I have every confidence that you'll figure out a way to make it happen. You don't strike me as the sort of woman who will let a little obstacle like a blown knee keep her from what sets her heart alight.

BTW....mmmmmmm that toffee looks yummy!

Happy New Year, Lisa! Keep the faith!

Carolynn

Trail Riding Cowgirl said...

Lisa,

First, thanks for stopping and commenting on my blog. I was very impressed by your blog. I am sorry about your injury. Being that I am sort of an expert on beating one's self up, let me say you will get through this. I would encourage you to get a second opinion first.
I have had both knees operated on among other things several times. I was told I would never ride again. I sure showed them, watch me work a cow! Keep your chin up and you will conquer this, remember it is not forever just a bump in the road.

TRC

Trail Riding Cowgirl said...

Lisa,

First, thanks for stopping and commenting on my blog. I was very impressed by your blog. I am sorry about your injury. Being that I am sort of an expert on beating one's self up, let me say you will get through this. I would encourage you to get a second opinion first.
I have had both knees operated on among other things several times. I was told I would never ride again. I sure showed them, watch me work a cow! Keep your chin up and you will conquer this, remember it is not forever just a bump in the road.

TRC

Callie said...

Oh Crap! Surgery! OMG! I feel for you! Take in this New Year my paint horse sister! I hope this all goes well! I'll send up a little prayer for you!

Gone2theDawgs said...

Lisa, I have numerous friends that have had ACL surgery (mostly from skiing accidents). Common surgery, and if you stick to and work at your therapy you recover REALLY quickly. Everyone has said that it was definitely worth getting. I kinda think you have some inspiration to get up and mobile as soon as possible, so you probably will have a quick recovery.

Now, as far as riding....as you are healing from your surgery would be an awesome time to work on your groundwork. (Just don't twist and turn your leg too much!), but you will be SO happy with what you can accomplish with Baby Doll when you can't ride, it will make it worth it, I promise!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You look gorgeous in that picture, Lisa. When I first read the title of this post, I thought, "Oh no, she ate some toffee and now needs orthodontry to straighten her teeth out." I always write "Ortho appt." on my calendar when the kids need to see the orthodontist. But I digress...

My husband recently had ACL and meniscus surgery, and so did two of my coworkers. It may take up to a year to be totally pain-free and strong and back to normal, but you can function much sooner than that. It's a gradual recovery. My husband was off his crutches and hobbling two days after the surgery. There's hope. You'll look back on this as just a speed bump someday. Hang in there. Make the best of this time and keep busy with something you can do while in traction, such as writing a novel.

Carla said...

Oh LIsa, I'm so sorry you got such bad news. Try to remember that the docs give you the worst case scenario, so you aren't blindsided if it happens. Think healing thoughts toward your knee, just like you did toward the twinlings when you were bed-bound. Can't hurt, might help.

I know you'll figure out a way to get outside! Wait for a warm day and have Farmer John put a stiff chair (kitchen table chair?) in the pen with the animals. You'll have snuggles in no time. Getting outside and getting some sun on your face will go a long way toward helping heal your fears.

(((hugs)) and prayers,
CeeCee

Unknown said...

Six months? Oh boy, are you going to need some more toffee.

I suspect you'll be up and around before that, but make sure you don't short change your recovery. Ground work is a great middle ground, maybe you can even work in some trick training.

Here's a little bloggy hug! Hang in there!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I'm getting caught up on your blog, but going backwards :-p

I'm so sorry you have to have surgery, eek! But how cool your doc is a horse person and getting you in sooner rather than later!

Amy said...

Just a bit of encouragement here...I work with a guy who's daughter tore her miniscus during a basketball game. She had knee surgery to repair it and after just a few physical therapy visits she was good as new again. This girl is an athlete and got a basketball scholarship for college, where she is studying to become a nurse.