Saturday, February 21, 2009

Goat Wrangling~an Encore


Many of you got a kick from my previous Goat Wrangling post, and although I never know what amusing photo opportunities I might see from day to day, I always hope they'll be interesting enough to share with my blogger friends.

I think you won't be disappointed by this entry.

I peek out my bathroom window several times a day to check on my animals. This is the view I see. I can see our neighbor's house up on the hill, our barn, two of our three padocks.....and......goats not where they're supposed to be.

The llamas, dozing and chewing their cud gave nothing away, except a feeling of calm. (That feeling was not to last)

But I saw those wiley goats. Do you see them, too?

Those little goat monsters are supposed to be on the right side of that horse fence.


Then just like a bunch of crazy gremlins, the goat monsters went tearing about looking for trouble. Do you see them underneath the horse trailer?

We don't keep the goats in with my mare. She's pretty tolerant, but we don't like to take chances. Those goats don't seem to care about chances.

Baby Doll had had enough of the goatie annoyances and politely pushed the goats out of her pen.

Latte asked if she could come back in, but Baby Doll wasn't budging.

Latte says, "Anybody got a backhoe to scoot this big spotted girl out of my way? A crane maybe?"

Baby Doll says, "Back off, puny ear-less mutant"

Hmmmmm? This is interesting. Everyone standing, staring. Can't be a good thing. Can it?

Oh wait! It's just little Red Riding Hood prancing up to visit the critters. (Hmmm, but why are the goats running away? They adore their young human friend.)

I've seen Livestock Guardian Dogs, but never Livestock Guardian Horses.

And quite honestly Baby Doll's not doing such a great job as Livestock Guardian Horse. Maybe she needs more training. I'd say she's about as bombproof as they come, though. (Yikes!)(Click pic for a larger view)

I think Baby Doll lost interest. But just look at the mayhem! Run Pepper Run!!

That's it, Zuni! Chase 'em back into their paddock, girl!

Whew! Ranchman John to the rescue finally.
(Baby Doll reporting back for duty, sir.)

Ummmm....Zuni, get your head out of Moon Pie's butt.

Goats are back in the paddock. Job completed. Sort of.

Zuni (Big Bad Wolf) lost her mind for a few minutes. Terrifying little Red Riding Hood. Baby Doll (Grandma) refused to tolerate Zuni's misbehavior and set the hound straight.

Whooops. Looks like Zuni made a break for the Wooly paddock. Not good.

Baby Doll says, "Sorry Mom. I was just trying to help"

Finally the Hound of Baskerville is captured, while Baby Doll wallows in guilt. Poor girl.

Baby Doll says, "Ahem. I think you forgot something people. It's green, tasty, comes in a bale and horses love to eat it."......."Helloooo"............."Somebody?"


From the Tower of,

40 comments :

Deb said...

OH the joys of having animals, it is never a dull moment! Our problems usually involve the neighbors animals, last Mothers Day we had to rescue a sheep that had gotten stuck between our fence an the neighbors, they have a wooden fence, we have a chained link and theres maybe 3 or 4 inches between, we don't know how she fell inbetween, guess she was hanging over the fence being nosey, we ended up having to cut our fence to get her out, of course first we had to tie our dogs up, they were going crazy, got our forklift stuck, we had first thought we might could lift her up with straps using the fork lift, didn't work, all the same time the other sheep was hanging over watching and bahhing, what a day.

mrscravitz said...

oOH! I like the new look to your blog! Loved the story! Oh How I wished I could have goats! LOL They are so fuN!

colleen said...

Zuni to the rescue again...I think those goats like it...Baby Doll too.. I love the new look of the blog and the painting of Baby Doll is just beautiful...

Nancy K. said...

Babydoll is SO beautiful!! Almost makes me wish I had a horse again...

;-)

Christy said...

Baby Doll is a pretty good goat wrangler. Never a dull moment huh?

Leah Fry said...

I like that painting of Baby Doll! Before Poco came to live with me, he had a goat as a pasture buddy after his old horse buddy died. Maybe a herd animal is a herd animal.

CTG Ponies said...

The critters are doing a good job of providing you with lots of entertainment :)

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures and a great story. Well done, Baby Doll.

Dan

Vaquerogirl said...

I love the new banner! Totally cool! My neighbor that raises goats says that to keep a goat IN you need something that will also hold water. That cracks me up!

Gail said...

PS: Love your remodeling you've been doing!

StefRobrts said...

Looks like Zuni knows her job! Tomorrow Barclay is going to get one more sheep herding lesson even though we are out of sheep for the moment. Since the herding teacher took Houdini off our hands she offered to give Barclay a free lesson in return.

Reddunappy said...

LOL goats always crack me up, they are so funny! Great new header pics! Your post made me laugh! I remember when our pygmy weather and the pot bellied pig got out and took off up the road, such an oddball pair they were LOL oh and the guinea pigs, I never thought those little balls of fur could have so much personality! but they do.

Claire MW said...

Nice new header picture! How appropriate! I absolutely loved the picture book that was today's story! Delightful! Made me giggle. Those goats are such rascals.

I also wanted to comment on Svetlana's picture, since you had mentioned her in my post about Luna. She is so beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen a Karakul before. Gorgeous fleece!

Mrs. Mom said...

LOL Lisa! What a day you had there huh? Never ever a dull moment with critters!!! Baby Doll is a rip. She is SO expressive.

Hey Love the new look here too. Fantastic header.

Hope YOU are doing grand dear Friend!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That was highly entertaining. Great action shots. Zuni looked like she was having the time of her life. Goats can be so comical. When we first moved into this neighborhood, there was a horse and goat living together in the same paddock. They were so attached that when the owner sold the horse, she told the buyers they had to take the goat too as a package deal.

dp said...

We had a goat breach today too. They got out of the horse paddock (gate wasn't chained *quite* tight enough) and into the pasture. I found them all standing around on the brush cutter, about 10 feet from the gate. I love that moment that always happens in goat wrangling when they look at you and "Maaa" as if to say "Oh? You're here too? Awesome!".

allhorsestuff said...

Oh hello you!
Too funny all those pics and wrangling!
Who did your artwork...very snazzy with the blue to set off Baby Dolls striking looks.
Be well~
KK

Desert Rose said...

oh how fun...love to see the critters intercat!

Pony Girl said...

"Puny, ear-less mutant", OH LOL! You crack me up Lisa. See, if you weren't trapped in that tower you wouldn't have caught this whole fiasco as it unfolded, from your perspective! ;)
BD just looks so velvety and fuzzy....I lover her perky little ears!

Pony Girl said...

One more thing...who painted the header portrait of Baby Doll? Did I miss a post where you talk about that? It's lovely! It is BD, right?? She's even wearing her bitless bridle!! ;)

Katharine Swan said...

Amazing pictures, Lisa! Baby Doll is a hoot, diving right into the bar fight like that. :o)

Love the new template, too! Who did your painting? How much does she charge? I want one for my WALL!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Y'all have been asking about my beautiful header, a custom painting of my mare, Baby Doll (and yes, PG, isn't it cool that she's even wearing her Bitless Bridle. I had no idea the artist would include that. I love it!).

Well the answer is Morgane Antoine, a French artist/painter who does indeed do custom/commission work.

I entered her contest through the 'One World One Heart' promotion, and out of 200 entries, I was chosen!

My prize was an ACEO which is sort of like an Artist Trading Card, approx a 3"x5" hand painted piece of art. They seem to cost around $30.00 per piece. Very affordable.

Of course, I chose my painted pony, Baby Doll, when she asked me what animal I'd like her to paint for me!

I just gave her some links to my blog posts that included photos of Baby Doll and then left the rest in her able hands.

I haven't received the actual card yet, but she did send me a copy via e-mail to see what my reaction would be. I love it!
I think it makes the perfect header for my blog, don't you?

I included a direct link to Morgane Antoine's blog and website at the top of my sidebar, so please check her out. She does amazing work. You won't be disappointed if you ask her to paint one of your horses or other animals. :D

~Lisa

Paint Girl said...

I know how goats can be, I have 4. We've only had one goat escape but my other half was home and was able to finally catch him. I keep my 4 goats in with my 2 horses, they all get along so well, actually my Arab and my Nubian are best friends! And my Paint takes her naps with the goats. I would like to one day have a separate goat pen because of feeding, that is when it is most hectic.
I love your goat story and your new colors and like everyone else LOVE the painting of Baby Doll!

Dusty Devoe said...

Never a dull moment at Laughing Orca Ranch!!!

lytha said...

Babydoll has a great life - so much going on to entertain her even when you can't ride. Your documentary of farm life was very enjoyable today, thanks for sharing!

~lytha

GreyWolf said...

What a GREAT post. I love it. BD did a darn good job I'd say.
And brave Little Red, taking on the job all by herself.
The action pic's of Zuni, fabulous!
And of course your wonderful narrative. What talent!!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

well at least it's always interesting and entertaining at your place. never a dull moment.

Tammy Vasa said...

New blog look is very nice!

Picture of Baby Doll and herd of goats is priceless! Made me laugh!

How is your shepherd about herding Baby Doll? I have a 1.5 yr old white german shepherd and his goal in life is to herd the horses. When we ride, he is fine & stays ahead of us, but if we stop and take a break, he starts his circling. And when I let the horses out to pasture, he is in hot pursuit!

I've never had a herding dog before... didn't think this one out I guess... :) Of course he is perfect in every other way. LOL!

D. said...

YOU are a hoot girlie - I hadn't been by for a visit for a while and am sure glad i stopped by to read the goat post - I laughed -your dialog was great - especially the earless mutant comment. My poor husband was going "what's going on!" I am soooo sorry about your chicken too - I did read back a ways. Also - great pics of the sunset!!!!!
Deanna

Anonymous said...

What a laugh you've given me today! The new look is fabulous, and BD's painting is beautiful. But your post and photos are hilarious! Aren't you glad you could view it all from your nest on high?

Zuni was just doing what comes naturally to a Shepherd - my sister's GS used to herd us when we went hiking - always circling back to the last one in line, checking to make sure we were all staying together!

Nancy in Atlanta

DesertHen said...

Loved the recap of events as they happened. Goaties are such fun to have around, they always provide some sort of enjoyable show. Our goats live on my parents five acres about 40 miles from us. We love sitting out when the weather is nice just watching their antics. Ummmm...goaties under the horse trailer is not a good thing. The year we worked for the "goat farm" a group of babies decided our horsetrailer was the perfect shady spot to nap. Several weeks later we noticed all of the light wires hanging from the trailer....yep, the little stinkers chewed right through them.

Happy Sunday to you. (((HUGS)))

ezra_pandora said...

Little red riding hood, lol!! Go Baby Doll!! She looked super calm throughout the whole thing, that's amazing. My mare would've been the one running around like there was a wolf on her back. The one with her repremanding Zuni was cute too, Zuni was totally giving in. lol

Like other's have said, never a dull moment. Wonder if sometimes someone doesn't let things slip so that they can have some excitement....lol

cdncowgirl said...

Oh my gosh! Great commentating, that was very entertaining!! :)

I've been a bit absent the last week or so, now I'm all caught up. And I must say, I LOOOOOVE that new header.

Andrea said...

Never ever a dull moment!! I love it!! Zuni is such a great goat dog!! LOL!! And Baby Doll, I think you might need to back off those extra green stuff called hay!! Girl look at that belly!! But that is okay, I love your belly!!

I hope you are doing better today!!

Jocelyn said...

Baby Doll is quite the Guard Pinto there Lisa!
The goats are constantly in trouble and when I say to hubby and Step kid I want goats they both go " EFF NO! They are so naughty and nothing but T R O U B L E !

Looks like you ahve the same scenario at your house!

Melanie said...

LOL!!! I love your goat wrangling series!!! I think it is great that Zuni herds them so well...even if she gets a bit exuberant!!! And Baby Doll makes quite the mother hen. :)

Egghead said...

Lisa that is hilarious. The photos are really cute. Those stinker goats....funny.

The Wades said...

Who needs a movie or tv when you have that kind of action going on right outside your window! Exciting stuff.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

LMAO, what a great post, lol, I was even going to ask you this time if Latte was earless? Your captions are HILARIOUS. Poor little goaties, just wanted some fun... I've started gathering our goat pics and getting my goatie posts ready... I have not forgotten!

allhorsestuff said...

had to come back to this one to show the Mutant to Bruce..Latte right..he loves that goatie!
Kac