Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Heart is Painfully Broken

 

(Warning: This post may be disturbing to some readers. I have included graphic photos and descriptions, which may be offensive to some. If you are the sensitive type, please do not read this post. You have been warned. Do not leave me flaming comments complaining about this subject matter. It’s my blog and no one is forcing you to read it.)

The worst thing that I have ever experienced or seen in my life happened last night. And I will never be the same again. I feel as if my heart has been ripped apart and my soul is raw and aching. I need to share this story to help heal these open wounds, pay tribute to a beautiful and gentle soul, and help me find some sort of peace and closure.

I know you all were expecting to see photos and read stories about my holiday weekend up at Val’s cabin, but my heart is just not willing…and I don’t know when it will be again. I think that after I’m through sharing this story, I shall give myself some time to heal from the sadness…and horror I’ve just experienced.

This story is about the handsome, strong bay gelding that I chose to photograph and include in my blog header. His name was Rojo.

IMG_3803

He and his grey buddy have provided me many hours of entertainment when I’ve been at my lowest and most discouraged. When I was stuck in bed after my injury and subsequent surgery, I could look out my window and see Rojo and his grey friend galloping and cavorting in their field, grazing peacefully or just displaying amusing behavior.

IMG_1564

Even when my own mare and my friend Val’s horses were unavailable and not in my line of sight, as I healed in my tower, I could count on Rojo to be there as I gazed out of my glass doors.

IMG_4129

Many of my photographs, over the past year, are of this strikingly handsome horse. And I intend to share most of them in another post….a tribute to Rojo.

IMG_5571      

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I was up late and heard neighing around midnight followed by persistent honking of a car horn, which doesn’t happen around here unless something is wrong.

My first panicked thought was something had happened to my mare, Baby Doll and Val’s gelding, Scout and her mare Nadia, whom we recently began a grazing lease arrangement with our neighbor, who owns several hundred acres beside our neighborhood.

Fortunately for our horses (and us), they were fine, but unfortunately for our other neighbor ‘D’ and his two horses………they were not fine.

As soon as I heard the honking, I jumped into my GMC and drove over to where I saw a car slow down on the hill above our neighborhood. I forgot to grab my cell phone, but had my camera already in the car. And this is what I saw. 

IMG_8110

The photo quality is poor but you can see that is a horse standing in the road. I knew that my neighbor ‘D’ had just bought this horse yesterday because I had spoke to him on the phone in the early evening. And I had seen this new grey gelding over in his field as I looked out my bedroom glass doors. So I immediately knew who the horse belonged to.

But I didn’t see Rojo, the bay gelding. It was very dark outside, but if you look to the far left of the above photo you may be able to make his shape out, down in the gully.

As a sat there in my GMC, honking my own horn, like a crazy woman, trying to wake up my neighbors, especially ‘D’, to get some help, another car came over the crest of the hill pretty fast. I flashed my highbeams over and over until they slowed down and drove past. Afterwards the grey horse crossed back over the road.

IMG_8113

(All of my photos are dark or blurry or both. My hands were shaking and it was pitch black outside. Photo quality was not something I was focused on.)

At this point I became impatient because no one was coming outside to help, so I kept my horn blaring (it was around 12:30am….but it was an emergency) and then drove over to ‘D’’s house and honked in front of his garage until it finally raised about 5 minutes later with him groggy-eyed, still buttoning up his shirt.

I told him his horses were loose and to grab some halters and that I’d drive him over to the road. He grabbed a bag of feed, too and climbed into my passenger seat and we headed over.

I kept my high beams on as he walked out to his horses. He haltered up his grey horse as another truck drove up.

IMG_8115

I thought it was odd that Rojo just stood in place and didn’t even try to move away or towards ‘D’. And when I heard ‘D’ say, “Oh man. Oh sh*t” I knew in my gut that something was seriously and terribly wrong.

‘D’ finished up haltering his grey gelding.

IMG_8118

And he managed to walk up to Rojo and assess the damage. And it really was horrible. A horse owner’s worst nightmare. Even from my GMC window I could see that something was wrong with Rojo’s left leg.

“D” left Rojo standing there as he led the grey horse back home. I drove across the road to block traffic and I set up my blinkers. And then I zoomed in on Rojo and could see that his left front leg was bloody.

IMG_8120

And worst of all I could see that it was bent at a terrible angle.

IMG_8124 

It made me feel sick because I knew then that poor Rojo had no chance of survival. That this injury would prove fatal for this beautiful animal.

IMG_8125 

He looked at me with his soft eyes, filled with confusion and pain and he nickered at me…….and I lost it and just sobbed.

IMG_8127

At that point instinct kicked in and I knew I had to try to help Rojo, at least to get him out of his misery. So, I asked the man in the truck, waiting up the hill, if I could use his cell phone to call 911 and Animal Control. I gave them the information and the dispatcher promised me they’d have someone out quickly.

Meanwhile, ‘D’ had come back out with a small pistol to put Rojo out of his misery, but after he tried to do the deed, with me in the GMC shining my high beams for light, he realized not only was he not up for the job, but that his gun wasn’t powerful enough and would probably just cause more injury instead of instant death.

I told him to hold on for a couple minutes and that I had called Animal Control. And just at that moment they drove up.

IMG_8128 

But unfortunately, that officer didn’t feel comfortable with killing Rojo or that his weapon was powerful enough either. And the closest euthanasia medicine availability would be an hour out, so he told us that another officer, with a high powered rifle was on his way over. As they waited for him to arrive my heart was aching for ‘D’ and especially for Rojo. I knew Rojo must be in horrific pain and I just wanted him to be free.

IMG_8132

This photo was taken just a couple minutes before Rojo’s life ended. When I got home and looked at the photo, I was surprised at how Rojo appeared to have become a ghost horse.

IMG_8129 

The officer with the high powered rifle showed up and they asked me if I’d mind staying with my GMC’s high beams pointing at Rojo and I agreed to help. I had no idea how absolutely horrifying it would prove to be, though.

I closed my eyes when the officer aimed, but when I looked up after the first shot, Rojo was still standing, even though he had been hit. I saw the rifle take aim again and I bowed my head and squeezed my eyes shut tight and prayed hard. And when I looked up, Rojo was on the ground, his body still twitching…...

But then Rojo finally lay still….. and it was all over.

IMG_8137 

(Note: I apologize if this post offended anyone or caused anyone sadness. Everyone who started out was warned that this post wasn’t going to be about happiness, flowers and joy. This post was created for me and it was important that I find a way to get this heavy burden off of my chest in the best way that I know how, through my writing and photographs. And since Rojo was a special and important part of my life and has been a highlight on my blog for over a year, I knew I needed to give him, and myself closure, while paying tribute and honoring such a beautiful and gentle equine friend. And I know it’s just coincidence, but I also found it ironic that Rojo injured the same leg that I did 6 months ago. If you happened to follow along and you feel sympathy and were touched by what happened last night, then I hope you’ll come back for my special tribute to Rojo. He deserves at least that much, I think.)      




From the Tower of,

64 comments :

jacksonsgrrl said...

Awww. Man. That is every horse owner's worst nightmare. I know a few people who have had a horse hit and I pray Jackson never does all the time. He is pastured next to a crazy road. It is my worst fear. Sorry you had to go through that.
--Mindy

Anonymous said...

oh lisa...this made me cry.
so very sad. was rojo hit by a car?
did the person even stop?

CTG Ponies said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this but you were able to help end his suffering. It's very hard to watch them die. I held Diego while he died last year. As a matter of fact, it's one year today. You guys did what was best for the horse.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Lisa, I am so overcome with shock and emotion. I couldn't even cry last night. But, looking at your pictures...Oh my God, the horror of being there and witnessing it! It's such a tragedy that, although not unexpected, should never have happened! He never built a sturdy enough fence for his horses and his field is right next to the highway! The new horse must have caused them to break through or jump the fence and then he stepped in a hole or landed wrong on the uneven ground.

I imagine 'D' is in complete shock right now as I would be if it had been our horses. When I went to bed last night I imagined that I heard galloping horses...but it was such a long day for me yesterday...if only I'd gone out and checked. But then I would have gone the back way to check ours and not up to the road. I never knew the brown one's name until you mentioned it here, now I'll never forget...

May he rest in peace, dear Rojo.

((hugs))

d2cmom said...

Oh that hurts. I'm sorry you had to be there for that, but glad you heard the honking. If you hadn't the grey horse may have been hurt to. Thank God for and find some comfort in that. That's the hardest part of being a responsible animal owner. If they get hurt, they depend on us to make it better. We have had to do that with my beautiful sweet dog that got hit by a car. It hurts so terribly when they trust you and look at you like that.

Ali said...

I really don't know what to say but that I am so sorry! I know that doesn't help you feel any better, but I will be praying for you in this horribly hard time. Your story made me cry, as it should. Anyone that has a problem with you writing this needs to never come back to your blog again. It is your right to blog about what goes on in your life, that is what a blog is all about, an online journal! Anyone that knows horses and how devastating an injury like that is will understand. Big huge virtual hugs my friend, I will be awaiting Rojo's tribute, he was a beautiful animal!

colleen said...

Oh my Lisa. I am so very sorry that Rojo is no longer with us. I feel for your loss and the pain that it causes you. Thank goodness you were able to help though. Just imagine what would have happend if you hadn't gone outside. Rojo would have suffered even more and who knows what would have happened to the grey. My thoughts are with you and may you find some peace within your heart when you post your tribute. We'll miss seeing you here Rojo, may you rest in peace.

Esther Garvi said...

Oh I'm so sorry Lisa. This touched deep in me and I can feel your pain, feel Rojo's pain, and his owner's. I am so sorry.

Do you know why the horses were let out?

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Lisa! I know he was not your horse (legally) but I am soo sorry! I know how traumatic it is to see a horse go this way. We had one of ours get hit by a car but it was a death upon impact. The horses pushed this one big gate over. Everyone was out, but Indigo luckily. A guy was driving without his license, going 160 down our road at 6 am. He struck my one mare, threw her 15 feet into the field, totaled his van. Once we got there he admitted this would be his third time driving without his license and without insurance and he wanted us to go get his wife and say it was her driving. Yeah right! The guy wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack lemme tell ya.
I take it Rojo was hit by a car too!? Why didn't the person who hit him stop? How irresponsible.

Carla said...

I couldn't bring myself to read past the picture of the new horse in the road. I had to scan quickly to the end of your story and work backward. Thank you for the warning.
I'm sorry you had to see it and hear it. I'm glad the sheriff was there to help poor Rojo out of his misery. I wish I could take the images and sounds out of your mind and help you heal. Only time can do that.
Prayers for all involved.

gtyyup said...

I'm so sorry for what happened...it is so tragic and for an animal lover as you are, it will take a long time to come to terms with it all.

There is a good reason to post this too. Everyone needs to remember how important it is to have good fences and gates that latch securely.

No matter how the horses ended up on the road (no pointing of fingers in any way), it was amazing how quickly authorities were there to help. I'm glad you were there to keep Rojo's suffering to a minimum and to possibly save a human life if they had hit the other horse.

((((hugs)))) to you as I wipe my tears away~~

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

One dark evening my inlaws arrived home to find Tuxedo, American Paint, standing the front yard. FIL grabbed a halter and lead, but when FIL approached Tux, he ran out in the 4-lane road. My FIl is waving his arms and some cars stop, put on blinkers and horns, but one driving gal was totally oblivious to all the commotion, rammed into Tux, he had to be put down and she was somewhat injured. Later tried to sue FIL but it was thrown out in court.

So sorry you had to witness such a nightmare Lisa. At least you got on the scene and did everything that you could for poor Rojo. May he rest in peace now.

sidetracked said...

I sooo sorry for you and for Rojo. What a horrible thing to have happened to such a sweet boy. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and that Rojo is free and running in green pastures.

Lisa said...

Oh Lisa that is just a heartbreaking story. What a sad, sad event - my thoughts are with everyone involved as I cannot even begin to imagine how traumatic this has been. I'm so sorry for Rojo and I will definately be back for your tribute.

No need to apologize for the content, this is life and life isn't always pretty.
Sending you a giant hug this morning.
Lisa

Claire MW said...

Oh Lisa, my heart breaks for you, just as I know yours is also broken. This is a horrible, tragic accident and I did not know that such an injury would require a horse to be euthanized. I am stunned at your bravery and your ability to face what needed to be done. He was blessed to have you in his life and you were the one who did him the ultimate kindness, one that pained you more than it ever pained him. Peace be with you my friend.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That is heart breaking. I'm sorry for Rojo and his friends and D, and that you had to be involved. Who knows how long he would have been out there suffering had you not investigated what all the honking was about. Even with your eye closed, it was one experience you didn't need. It's hard being there during a death.

Vaquerogirl said...

Oh man- What a horrible thing to happen. I can absolutely commiserate with you. As a kid I kept my horses on a pasture near my house. It wasn't the greatest place, and the horses got out on the highway all of the time. I used to lie in bed and plan how I would have to put my horse out of his misery if ever he was the one to get out and hit. Well, my horse did get out one day- but on the other side of the pasture- the side with the train track and she was hit and killed. I was devestated to say the least.
About 10 years ago, my daughters little black horse got out on the highway near where I had her boarded. It was foggy and dark and she was coal black. She was hit and the animal control had to come put her down.
You never get over the fear of this happening, but hopefully you can put it behind you after a while. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Christy said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry! What a terrible experience for everyone involved.

South Valley Girl said...

Oh, Lisa - my heart goes out to you. But you were there for him, and I know he felt and appreciated your sympathy and love. They know the ones who love them.

You did the only thing we can do for the four-leggeds we love when their time on earth is done - be there for them and send them out into the dark surrounded by our love.

Blessings to you.

SVG

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, Lisa, NO! First Beauty and now Rojo! Please offer my sincere thoughts to your neighbor. And, for you, too, Lisa. How awfully sad.

Callie said...

Geezus, That's sad. How aweful.....

Farmer Jen said...

This is very sad. My prayers are with you and Rojo and D.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

We don't believe that any cars hit Rojo, even though he was found on the opposite side of the road. We figure that the new horse spooked and was nervous and didn't understand the 'hokey' fence that "D" keeps....long story on that.....and then the grey jumped the fence and Rojo followed, probably jumping into or stepping into a prairie dog hole in the process.
Even just jumping into that gully that Rojo was found in could have caused the fatal injury, too. There are many deep holes in the gullies around here and if he ran down in there and landed in one he could have twisted his leg and it could have snapped.

If a car would have hit Rojo, we would have expected to have seen braking tire tracks, heard the collision, or seen more damage on Rojo than just his leg.
Also, he would have been injured crossing the road and the car would have hit Rojo's right side...not left.

We have a lot of prairie dogs around here and they pock the land with holes, Even Baby Doll and I have stepped into a couple holes while out on the trails. Of course, we weren't galloping when it happened, and we only took them at a walk.


~Lisa

ps Thank you everyone for your kind and caring words. They mean more than I can even begin to say.
He may not have been my horse, but he was special to me and a friend, too. This has been very very difficult for me to deal with. I've yet to sleep since the previous night and I was over in the pastures checking on my mare Baby Doll and Val's horses Scout and Nadia, by 5am this morning.

Then I went back over there at 7:30am with a bag of carrots and let our horses try to cheer me up a little. It didn't really work, but Baby Doll was being especially kind and gentle with me and I do appreciate her for that. She was letting me hug her and nuzzle her neck and just hang on her as I wept. I wonder if she knew what happened?

Anonymous said...

I had to come back and read this a few times to read the story, as I knew the outcome the first time I started ready. It's tough. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful.

AareneX said...

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry...and so proud of you for getting up in the middle of the night to help. Not everyone would, you know.

You were brave, you did what you could. I'm sorry that there wasn't a happy ending, but you prevented a much slower and more painful ending for Rojo by being willing to help.

I'll definitely be back for your tribute.

Anonymous said...

I am so so sorry. You did what you had to do for him to end his pain, and he knew that you would help him. I lost a mare 8 years ago to a fractured leg in turnout, and my deepest sympathies are with you. May your horses and people help you heal.

Tammy Vasa said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Lisa. What a terrible thing to have to go through. But glad you were there to help the other one.

We live on a highway and this is my worse nightmare. They've gotten out twice due to the kids not closing the gate. It has made them/us that more cautious. Scary, scary when it happens.

God speed, Bay Boy Rojo....

Dan and Betty said...

Well said good friend.

Dan

Chelsi said...

I am so sorry for both Rojo, his owner and for everyone involved, yourself included. My heart aches for that poor pretty gelding. What a good boy he was to allow himself to be handled after the accident like that...such HUGE hearts these horses have. Lisa, I'm sorry that you had to be called out of your how for such a tragic event but I believe these things happen for a reason...just imagine how long he would have suffered for had you not been there. Bless you for you kind heart.

*HUGS*

Unknown said...

I am sitting back here reading posts - although I haven't really felt like commenting much because of recent events.....but I am reading and your post moved me to say that I am SO VERY SORRY for Rojo!!

Somewhere on the other side of the rainbow bridge I just know he's playing around with other gelding but still pass along my condolences to his owners......I know exactly how bad this sucks for everyone right now.

Jessica said...

I have to admit that I quickly scrolled past the pics...but reading the story was heart-wrenching enough. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine the pain this has caused you. I'm glad you got some comfort from Baby Doll...she probably knew she needed to be there for you. So, so sorry. I'll be back for the tribute, for sure.

Desert Rose said...

Such a sensless tragidy..that did not need to happen if I read between your lines. My heart goes out to you for witnessing this terrible thing but I understand that your post was about closure and I hope it helped you begin to sort this out. I am sad that you had to practically beg readers to be genlte in our comments...!

Melanie said...

Oh Lisa...I am terribly sorry. What a horrible thing to witness, and I agree with you that he was most likey not hit by a car (I have seen that, and the injuries are horrific, not just a mangled leg)

I will miss his pictures on your blog, as he proved to be a very photogenic horse. Long live Rojo's memory, and I can't wait to see your special tribute to him.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Lisa, I understand too well how hard it is to lose an animal.

It will take time. I am so sorry for you, your friend, the horse, and everyone involved.
Take care.
Pam

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that Lisa! And I am terribly sorry about the loss of Rojo, he was beautiful!
You did the right thing, you had the strength to get done, what needed to be done. You will be in my thoughts!

DesertHen said...

Such a sad moment to have to witness, but you were there for a reason...you are such a sweet, gentle, loving soul and you were needed there in that moment to help comfort Rojo and help anyway you could. I'm so very sad for you and I'm sending many, many (((((HUGS)))))

My FIL's horse got caught in their wire fence and severed his leg so badly that he had to be put down. This was a pristine pasture, beautiful fencing, gates, etc....so even when we provide the best of conditions, accidents still happen.

Unknown said...

Lisa,
Maybe you'll think I'm crazy, but I don't think it was a bad thing that you were there.

About 7 years ago my husband witnessed a man he didn't know get hit by a truck and my husband held him in his arms as he died. He still dreams of Jim, of holding him as he saw the sky for the last time. His friends were so relieved that jim wasn't without someone who cared.

We believe that a true blessing before we part this earth is having a loving spirit there in our final moments.

I believe you were Rojo's.

I'm so sorry for Rojo. But I'm so glad he was blessed to not be alone in his last moments here.

cdncowgirl said...

OMG Lisa, I have no idea what to say. I'm so sorry that Rojo had to have such a sad end and that you had to bear witness to it.
The horses getting loose is one of my worst fears, after all we are surrounded by roads on 3 sides,all of which are high speed. *shiver*

lisa said...

Its never easy to lose a horse or any animal you love. I lost my first horse, he was only 12, and that was very sudden (we think from a air bubble that burst in his lungs. He had COPD. It was a very traumatic time for me also. All we can do is be glad that they aren't suffering and know that they are in a happy place!!

C-ingspots said...

Oh Lisa, I am so very sorry. I can understand how your heart hurts after going through this. But, I would be willing to bet that Rojo was very thankful that you came to his rescue. Anything tragic is always made easier when a friend is by your side. You were there for Rojo. May you take comfort knowing that, and may Rojo rest in peace.

mrscravitz said...

I know EXACTLY HOW you feel! I was with a friend of mine, that had to put her horse down due to colic. There is just something horrible about a horse falling! I cried for two days over that one! I have held my own animals when their time came to go to Rainbow Bridge, and it was hard, but it was NOTHING like putting a horse down! NOTHING AT ALL! I still have nightmares about it! And this was a euthanasia, Not a gun shot. I can just imagine that This was way worse! And ROJO was such a beautiful guy! HOW SAD! I feel for you, and totally understand if you need to take a break. It is traumatic for the human to go through something like this!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Oh Lisa.. I am crying my eyes out.. I am so sorry...how awful.

I cannot imagine how awful it was for you..I am so sorry this awful accident happened.

Gail said...

Many times we are called to do things that we would never choose to do. There is a reason you were there, although it was a sad horrifying experience. You were there to help Rojo and his owner.

I, too, have enjoyed the wonderful pictures you have shared during your recovery. Rojo has been a part of your recovery and he will always be a part of your life, in your heart and soul forever.

God bless you and Rojo's owner, I hope this is never something I have to experience.

Reddunappy said...

Oh Lisa, what a horrible thing to go through. I dont think this was a horrible post to make, horse people NEED to know how to put their animals out of misary if the need arises, to avoid like you said, hours of pain waiting for a vet.
We live on a road that cars go by at 50+ miles an hour, and it is my personal nightmare that mine will get out and get hit, they have only gotten out a couple of times thank god, but for some reason the brats have to run down the drive to the road!!
Good call on your neighbors part not using a small caliber pistol to do the job, more horrors that I can imagine, nothing smaller than a 45 long colt, to do the job properly. Or a 30 caliber rifle.
again I am so so sorry you had to witness this, it is never easy from any angle.
Horse and Rider magazine had an article years ago on where just to shoot them, I found that invaluable, and yes I could do it if it came to that.


Just a fyi, I have heard in Europe they do not give any of them lethal injections, all is done by gunshot.

Just keep in mind that you helped him, so he didnt suffer for very long.

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness!! What a tragic event!! I can not imagine what Rojo's owners are feeling right now. I am so sorry. What an emotional night. I am so sorry. One night I had a lot going on, my husband had been working out of town for about three months and me alone with three kids and feeding horses, I accidentally left the pregnant mare's pasture gate undone. They both got out. But luckily they just crossed our road, which isn't busy, and they went to the barn and hung out there by the other horses. I was so scared when I saw them missing the next day!!! I am so sorry for your friend's loss. He was a beautiful horse!

D. said...

Lisa, I am just weeping! I am so sorry that you and your neighbor had to go through all that.
I am heartbroken for you - When I first saw the post I thought it was Babydoll and my heart sunk.
Hugs sweetie!
Deanna

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, I am so very sorry for the loss of such a beautiful horse that has been a part of your life in photos. I believe that "Breathe" said it correctly, you were there for Rojo. Somehow he was able to reach you to let you know he need help. I also believe that our animal friends are very connected to us in ways we can not understand. You were his angel that got him the help he needed; you saved him from terrible pain he must have been in. Not his owner but you, are the one he chose to help him in his hour of need. You helped with his passing, bless you heart!!! He will be waiting to thank you at the rainbow bridge where all our beloved animals are waiting to be reunited with us again.
As painful as it is to you now, know that what you did is a wonderful thing for this horse. He knew you were there for him because he called out to you when he saw you.
We are all put in situations for a reason and yours was to help Rojo pass on.
Namaste dear Lisa....
Jane

Blackfeatherfarm said...

I have to admit I couldn't finish and scrolled quickly to the bottom of the post, I knew what was coming. Just wanted to say so sorry, I know the heartbreak. Posting about it to get it out was a good thing to do, even though a lot of hearts are broken, I always think beloved animals deserve to be cried over. What a beautiful boy, at least you were there to comfort him and say goodbye. I'm so sorry.

KD said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Rojo, but you played an important part in him passing in a humane way. I will look forward to your tribute.

Shirley said...

Lisa, I too know exactly what you went through. I had it happen to me; a late night call out"I think you'd better come, your mare has a bloody leg". The call we never want to get. Watching your beloved horse suffering and dying. I posted about her here- http://rideagoodhorse.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-300th-post.html
Although it is heartbreaking for us, I think that being there for them is good, and bless you for being there for Rojo.

Mikey said...

oh damn, that is the worst. I'm so very sorry you had to go thru that and so did Rojo. Y'all did the right thing... hard as it was. Hugs to you girl, I'm so very sorry

cdncowgirl said...

Wow, took the time to read some of the comments. Never realized the fence was a possible issue. I just thought it was a freak accident.
No use blaming the owner though, I'm sure right now that is the last thing he wants to hear.
I was wondering where Rojo's buddy was when this happened? If I'm reading correctly the grey on the road is a new horse, did the other grey get out as well?

Also, while Baby Doll may not know or understand what happened last night I'm sure she was picking up on your emotions and knew something wasn't right with her 'lead mare'.

(((big hugs))) hope you get to sleep some tonight.

white_lilly said...

I'm sending you a really big hug your way because you are so brave and such a good person. I'm really sorry for Rojo and it just rips my heart reading about his tragic end.
Love hugs your way
xoxoxoxo

Dusty Devoe said...

I am so sorry Lisa. Rojo was a beautiful horse. For some reason you were one of the persons chosen to be there for him during his last moments. You are an angel. I am thinking of you. HUGS.

StefRobrts said...

What an awful, traumatic experience! I'm so sorry you had to stumble into it after all you have had to go through lately. That is so very sad! RIP Rojo.

Leah Fry said...

Oh Lisa! I'm so sorry your poor psyche has taken yet another blow, and that the beautiful Rojo had to be put down. I'm glad you were there with him in his last moments, and that you arrived in time to save the gray horse. I pray for your healing and restoration, my friend.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh Dear God. As a horse owner, this is one of my worst fears. You are all in my prayers.

The Wades said...

I can only imagine how horrific that had to have been! I'm with you--blogging about something seems to make me feel better.

You were great to help. Sorry for your loss.

Celeste said...

Oh Lisa, I have no words that can possibly help the pain of this horrific experience. Tears pour down my face as I type the only thing I can say is I am so glad that Rojo had you there to ease his passing.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

I dont even know what to say....I'm crying too, i just hate it when horrific accidents happen, poor guy, you can tell he hurt so bad I'm glad that you all didnt have to wait until morning to end his suffering, as hard as it is, its a loving gesture to him...strange to say i know, but you know what I mean...how sad just breaks my heart for such a sweet sweet horse.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Oh my GOSH!! I am just in tears reading this tragedy.. I am so sorry to hear of this tragic loss of such a beautiful horse and obviously one that you adore and love... My heart breaks that he was in that pain, and I cannot imagine how much this has affected you, and his owner...

I will now look at the tribute post..

Girl Tornado said...

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa.... omg, my heart feels every bit of the pain and horror you lived through this night with Rojo. The night we came home to our paint horse's hoof injury a year ago was the night from hell for me. I had barely been in KS for a month, and a horse injury. I was shaking and fearful for our paint horse, but his story had a happier ending thank god. I'm in tears for poor Rojo, and for you, living through this horrible tragedy. I've already read your tribute too, what a wonderful, wonderful tribute to a sweet tempered horse.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Wishing you some peace.

Jen

Patrinas Pencil said...

Thanks for sharing all of that, Lisa. I'm so glad you did. Sorry you had to witness it but I think it was meant to be. It is more than a coincedence that he injured the same knee as did you, especially since I now know that you found a plastic horse leg after this. Whch leads me to believe that your own injured leg will carry you wherever you need or dessire to go - because of your love for Rojo.

There is such and uncommom thread that runs through all of these posts that I've read tonight about you and Rojo. Every step you take is in Rojo's memory - like he walks beside you, every step of the way. Such an empowering story!

I've been told that horsess have many of the same traits as angels. Rojo sounded like an angel. And the picture that gave the impression of him rising as a Ghost horse, was powerfully convincing. It is evident that something was taking place.

Again, gentle hugs,
Patrina <")>><