Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not-So-Wordless Wednesday ~ Orangutan

 

I was going to make this a completely wordless post, but I fell in love with the Orangutans recently and have since learned a few fascinating things about them and just wanted to share. I hope y’all don’t mind.

This is Mama Sara and her daughter Reese, born at the Rio Grande Zoo in Albuquerque in October 2008.  Reese is now 10 months old and such a precious little baby. I could sit and watch the two of them together all day.

IMG_6854

Native to Indonesia and Malaysia, Orangutans are currently found only in rainforests on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra.

Map picture

The age of maturity for females is approximately 12 years. Females remain fertile until about 30 years of age. Orangutans may live for about 50 years in the wild.

IMG_6843 

Gestation is typically 8 1/2 months.  The babies are extremely slow-growing. Mothers stay with their babies for six or seven years.

IMG_6848

The Infant stage lasts from 0-3 yrs. The Juvenile stage lasts 3-7 yrs. Adolescent stage lasts from 7-10 yrs.

IMG_6846

With the high maternal investment in raising young, there is usually an eight to ten year time span between births.

IMG_6850

Since females generally have only three to four offspring in their lifetime, males may engage in fierce competition for females.

IMG_6845

As a slow reproducing animal, orangutans are particularly vulnerable to population losses, as they take decades, even centuries to replace.

IMG_6852




From the Tower of,

27 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info - they are indeed amazing creatures!

Melanie said...

Awwwwww...what is cuter than a baby orangutan??? Although, I think I say that about all baby animals, don't I??? LOL!!!

Excellent shots, Lisa. You really were able to catch the bond betweeen momma and baby. :)

Reddunappy said...

Such a cute little red head! Love the hair doo!

Gail said...

I love these! One time many years ago at a zoo, the handler had an orangutan dressed in baby clothes and was playing with it in a grassy spot, blanket, bottle and all.

My mother, who never said anything bad about anyone said I hate to say it, but that is the ugliest baby I have ever seen. Wnen I told her what it was, we all had a good laugh.

cdncowgirl said...

Great pics Lisa - they definitely let us feel that bond :)

Whenever I think of orangutans I think of that Clint Eastwood movie and the line "Left turn Clyde" lol

I didn't know they were so slow to reproduce. Maybe if more people knew that they'd be more concerned.

cdncowgirl said...

Mel - cuter than a baby orangutan? A baby horse of course!! lol

Desert Rose said...

You never cease to amaze me! All the research you do...all the great pictures! Way to COWGIRLTHE&**^UP!!! (25 cents in my cuss jar!)

white_lilly said...

Thank you for sharing, they are amazing and your photos showed that.
I love the fluffy curls of the baby, so gorgeous :)

xoxoxoxo

Paint Girl said...

I love that baby Orangutan, look at all the wild hair!! Soooo cute!! Your pictures are amazing, as usual!! Thanks for the history lesson on these creatures. I didn't know any of this about them, I guess you really do learn something new everyday!! I can't believe they keep their babies for 7 years!! Wow! I think I am now an Orangutan fan!

cherie said...

i am amazed by the way they care and the depth of their love for their young.

colleen said...

I could just wrap her up and stick her in my pocket. She is just adorable. Thanks for the info I learned a few things.

Leah Fry said...

Great pix. Since they are now confined to such a tiny area, it would be interesting to know what their range once was.

lisa said...

I love them! Great shots and post! Here I go learning things again! Thank you!

Mrs. Mom said...

You are really really developing an eye with that camera Lisa. Those shots are incredible. Not being sappy or anything here (yeah right! LOL) but you can really FEEL the love between Momma and Baby!!

Keep it up girl!!

Mrs.C said...

Beautiful creatures. Did you ever watch Orangutan Island? It was so interesting.

Alison said...

Beautiful shots, Lisa, those are really stunning. Crazy orange, them 'rangutans.

Re: Dobby...in the books, Winky was a female house elf "freed" (i.e. fired) by Crouch for letting his son escape, impersonate Moody and help kidnap Harry in "The Goblet of Fire." Winky didn't adapt well to freedom, in spite of Dobby's encouragement, and ended up drunk on butterbeer for the rest of the series, as far as we know. See? Dobby's a much better role model!

ezra_pandora said...

That baby's hair is hilarious!! Looks like me in the morning. I didn't realize that they reproduce so infrequently. Very interesting information.

Holly said...

great photos! Love that baby. Great doo on her too!

Anonymous said...

Glad you filled this post with words, Going wordless would have been a huge miss for all of us! First of all lovely pictures! Secondly it was like a brief interesting zoology lecture! Love it! :)
~WildBlack

Unknown said...

The pictures are priceless! Sara looks very contented. Playgroup must be meeting at SOMEONE ELSE'S house today!

Ed said...

Fantastic!!! Great pics and commentary. They are facinating...:-)

Andrea said...

You can tell she is a loving mother, just look at her eyes. She looks like she is so proud and so in love with her little baby. And talk about a cute little baby at that. I had no idea about lots of those facts!! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Lisa is little fella is just too cute. What a beautiful color as well. :)

The Wades said...

I am so in love!! Oh my goodness. I've seen these two and the zoo and ohh and ah every time, but these pictures are so precious. Thanks for sharing--the pictures and the info.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

What a amazign photos!! Thanks for sharing, made my morning:)

jane augenstein said...

Great post, again, Lisa! Love the first picture of momma and baby! Perfect! Love that baby's hair, awww, I want to put a little ribbon in it! LOL
very informative, thanks so much!
hugs...
~Jane

clairz said...

Thank you for directing us back to these photos. They are wonderful!