Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Scenes from the New Mexico State Fair

 

Two weekends ago my kidlets and I joined our homeschool group on a field trip to the New Mexico State Fair. We spent the entire day there, ate lots of fattening and yummy fair food, spent way too much money, saw so many great things, and had so much fun.

Here are some of the photos we took while we were there.

IMG_1944  

IMG_1958

 

IMG_1966

 

IMG_1970

 

IMG_1977

 

IMG_1987

IMG_1988

 

IMG_1994

 

IMG_2006

 

IMG_2020

 

IMG_2031

 

IMG_2037

 

IMG_2089

 

IMG_2084

 

IMG_2079

 

IMG_2044

 

IMG_2052

Now that the New Mexico State Fair has passed and the Albuquerque International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta has begun, it is officially Fall here in New Mexico. Fall won’t last long, though. Already we’ve had a hard frost and days with gusty cold winds, and mornings waking up to ice in the water buckets up at the barn.

IMG_1065 

My mare, Baby Doll is growing her winter beard and is already covered in a soft, thick fur coat and is fattening up like a Thanksgiving turkey. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m predicting a harsh, cold, snowy winter. 

I sure do miss summer…….

IMG_8203





From the Tower of,

27 comments :

colleen said...

Awesome! I wish we had stuff like that here in the mountains. That totally looked like a blast. The little sleeping piglets were just adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love the startlingly pink pig nose!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Now that's what I would expect from a fair. All of our fairs are usually just booths where you gamble your money away doing rigged activities. I want to see the animals and entertainment.

jane augenstein said...

Great pictures!!!! Love the bi-colored longhorn, beautiful.
Jena, is so cute....looks like her momma! :-)
Gilly is all haired up too and looking like a big red velvet boy. I too have heard that we will have a hard winter. Glad for all the hay we put up in the barn this summer. The boys will eat well.
hugs...
Jane

Mrs.C said...

PIG NOSES!!! I looove pig noses. I've spent my entire life begging for a single piglet to make a pet, and so far - no luck.


All great photos, btw. Can't wait to see the hotair balloons.

Unknown said...

I miss summer too! I love that pink pig nose. So cute. They seem to be growing their winter fuzz fast.

Unknown said...

The fair looks like it was great fun! If you miss Summer, come here. Or South Texas - it was 97 on that trail ride!!

Love the trio at the end. :)

Deb said...

your photos are always so beautiful...haven't made it to our fair yet...hopefully this weekend..if the rain leaves us...

Alison said...

LOL, we sure didn't grow cows like those in Ohio!

Reddunappy said...

Oh beautiful pictures! Wow I dont know where to start, longhorns, pigs the carosel! gorgeous! and the acrobats, Wow!

Coloradolady said...

Lisa, wonderful photos, looks like it was a really fun day..it always feels like fall here when the fair comes!

Anonymous said...

Your post is spectacular as always. Love the shots of your daughter. :)

Anonymous said...

Your post is spectacular as always. Love the shots of your daughter. :)

Janice said...

What an excellent post. I enjoyed that immensley

Mom L said...

Awesome photos, as always, Lisa! The longhorns are amazing, and the photo of the birdies at the end caused a sharp intake of breath on my part.

But I love the piggie noses!!

Nancy in Iowa

Desert Rose said...

Beautiful colors in your photos...love all the animules!!!

Gail said...

The better comment is a question.
what didn't I love about your photos? Nothing.

Celeste said...

Love the piggy pictures - those pink soggy noses are so fun.
Looks like you all had a great day.

Dan and Betty said...

Great photos. I enjoy the exhibit part of the fair, especially the animals and rodeo, but I could care less about the rides and games.

My Icelandic, Morgunn, is really getting hairy and it's early for him so I agree -- cold winter coming.

Dan

Laura said...

Awesome pictures! I'm guessing you had a great day with your kids! I've always wanted to go to a big state fair, but haven't made it yet.

I hope your winter isn't too harsh - we haven't had any ice in water buckets yet - but give it a few weeks...

brrrr!!!

mrscravitz said...

Baby Doll has more of a winter coat than my ladies do. It was suppose to get down to 28 degrees or thereabouts last night, but I don't think it got below freezing. I was expecting to see a lot of frost all over everything, but not in my neck of the woods. I do feel that this winter will be a doozy, but not sure in what form. We had a lot of snow last year, and I don't think we could get so lucky to do that again. All I know, is we have not had a fall, it has gone straight into winter.....

Lori Skoog said...

Thanks for taking us along. Great shots. Your macro photographs are also quite amazing! You've got it!

cdncowgirl said...

I LOVE the first piggy pic :)
Your camera does such a good job you can almost feel the plushness of BD's coat (she's looking good!)

allhorsestuff said...

Nice fair there! It has been sooo long since I have gone to one, almost felt like I did through your great pics!
I loved the Sepia of Jena
Kac

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Sounds like the fair was a blast!!! Those ladies in the air were quite interesting...I want to know how they were higher than the clouds LOL?!

Your mare sure is fuzzy!! Mine are starting to spurt their winter coats too...I really don't want a harsh cold winter :( I too wish it was summer...

The Wades said...

Exciting fair adventure.

Kateri said...

That looks like a fair worth going to! I loved all the photos, but I confess if I were to pick only one on this post, I have to pick the baby barn swallows. Totally cute!