Friday, January 1, 2010

Nine Inches

 

Interesting title, eh? Well, when the weather report came out on the night before New Year’s Eve, it said we could possibly receive between 2-3” of snow. (Our 8th snowfall of the season if anyone else is keeping track.) But when we woke up in the morning, this is what we ended up with instead.

IMG_6781

I’d say this was a wee bit more than 3” wouldn't you?

IMG_6744

My little Dobbie girl’s stubby legs are barely 6” long. She had to work hard to move through that snow.

IMG_6743

My daughter loved that the snow was deep enough that she could wear her new snow pants and snow boots.

IMG_6662

 

And so did I.

IMG_6716

My twinling sons had fun trying to make a twin snow angel.

IMG_6865


While I was easily amused with watching the big slab of snow slide slowly to the edge of the barn roof. I was secretly hoping it might fall on top of my mare, but no such luck. haha! Doesn't it look sort of like white fondant?

IMG_6809


But when a big section finally fell, she did run out of the barn.

Avalanche! Run for your life!”

IMG_6810

 

The llamas, goats and sheep were more fascinated with watching our neighbor’s kids sledding down the hill beside our paddocks.

IMG_6798

 

But they did come over for treats and attention later.

IMG_6683

The chickens refused to come outside of their house unless I cleared an area for them and laid out some straw for their feet, and set up some wood panels to block the wind.

IMG_6738 

They still spent much of their day inside their house, but the less time they’re inside, the cleaner it will be in there. In the winter I have to clean out their coop more frequently than in the summer.

IMG_6666

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is my Project 365 photo for today.

IMG_6713

The temperatures were down into the teens that night, and though Baby Doll has access to her barn stall at all times, she prefers to stand out in the snow with a small tree grove as shelter instead. And when I tucked my fingers underneath all of her frost and ice coated fur, I was amazed to find that the fur next to my mare’s skin was dry and her skin was toasty warm. A little bit later, she enjoyed a good roll in the snow and most of that ice and frost broke free leaving her back dry and fluffed up.



38 comments :

Dusty Devoe said...

I love snow pictures! We haven't had any yet this year. I was hoping we would get some for Christmas. Love Baby Doll running out of her pen!!!

Pony Girl said...

My goodness! It has to be a miracle snow fall in your area this year! Has NM turned into Colorado? Alaska?? :) I love your pictures! Remind me again what kind of camera you use? Do you edit them? They are always so "crisp." Like a fresh apple. Give one to BD for me!
p.s. I think a layer of snow and ice is actually a pretty insulating layer for them! ;)

Anonymous said...

Seriously spoiled chickens! I love it:)

cdncowgirl said...

I'm so jealous. Its totally ridiculous that in ONE snowfall you've got more snow than we have all winter! *pout*

I will admit that I would want to wait and watch to see if the snow would fall on the pony too! Does that make us mean? lol

Its so neat how a horses coat can be in that state and yet so dry and warm next to the skin. One of God's great ideas :)

Now I need to go check out this Project 365 thing... have a feeling I should leave it alone! lol

StefRobrts said...

That's crazy how she could be warm and dry under frozen hair! My sheep used to sleep out in the snow when they could have stayed under cover. I thought they were crazy, but maybe they were better insulated that way?

Sally said...

Isn't the snow fun?! We've been getting a lot more than usual (seems like it anyway).

Anonymous said...

You guys sure have had a lot of snow - I never realized you got that much where you live. Nice pictures!

Kateri said...

That looks like so much fun. We haven't got more then a few inches yet. Your animals looks so contented.

Gail said...

Beautiful photos, as usual.

Enjoy your pristine beautiful snow. I hope it doesn't come south.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You know it's a special snowstorm when all the kids get out and play.

TxFarmhouse said...

Well, you naughty girl!
Those pictures are beautiful. I don't know how you function in all that snow. I guess you're used to it. Love the pictures of the chickens and the other critters in the snow.

Carla said...

Yes, I would say that looks like more than 3 inches!

Glad all your critter are warm and toasty. Looks like your chickens have you well trained. :)

Kids and snow--perfect combination.

Stay warm and give Dobie a snuggle.

colleen said...

Oh such fun! The kiddies look like they were having a good time. The animals look a little more perplexed.

Wonderful shot for your 365! You think of the most unusual subject, I have got to branch out more.

Have a good weekend and enjoy the snow!!

Jocelyn said...

isnt it crazy that those dumb horses will stay outside in stead of being inside?
Star is definitely an inside horse. She prefers her room when the weather gets cold.

Portland would come to a standstill if we had 9 inches of snow !

Jocelyn said...

isnt it crazy that those dumb horses will stay outside in stead of being inside?
Star is definitely an inside horse. She prefers her room when the weather gets cold.

Portland would come to a standstill if we had 9 inches of snow !

Unknown said...

A wise horse is the one not buried alive!

LOL

Beautiful photos and love your choice for today.

Anonymous said...

Everyone was enjoying the snow, both two legged and four! And the snow is so beautiful.:)

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

I am shocked to see all that snow in NM...what the heck is going on! Oh, yeah it's Global Warming....NOT!

cdncowgirl said...

When I walked out in the pasture todady to check Kimfer's horses I thought of your snow. Ours is soooo pathetic that it doesn't even cover my boots (the foot part not up the shaft of the boot) The horses can still kick up dirt to mix with the snow. Pathetic!
Its going to be a rough season for the farmers if we don't get some winter moisture.

And I forgot to say before that I love how pampered your hens are! :)

Farmer Jen said...

Lotsa snow, and great photos. You definitely have pampered chickens.

I love the expression on Jenna's face. You and she look so much alike, Lisa!

Leah Fry said...

Yeah, I'd say that's a bit more than 3".

I'm hoping to win the HGTV Dream House, so we can be neighbors :-)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I think we're in for it this winter!

Tammy Vasa said...

I think the Big Fat Lying Weatherman moved to New Mexico! He's always up here lying his head off about the weather! In this case, glad its you and not me! Sorry!! It is snowing here right now, but not heavy thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

The snow looks so pretty. I don't miss it though!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love your pictures of all the animals in the snow. What a bunch of fussy chickens though. You're a good mom for putting down stuff for them to walk on. What a bunch of chickens!

Stay warm.

Melanie said...

Hey there Lisa!!! Thanks for sharing your winter wonderland with us. We haven't had but a smidgen of the white stuff over here....

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. Tell Jen I love her snow outfit. You're right about BD. Horses, if healthy, can take care of themselves in cold weather.

Dan

Desert Rose said...

Hay...good mom scooping poop for your chicks in all the snow!!! Happy New Year!

Debi said...

This post gave me a good laugh. The chickens totally crack me up as did the sheep and llamas watching the kids sled. Babydoll will watch over her shoulder for more avalanches. I miss snow, but the tropical weather here is nice.

Anonymous said...

thats a lot of snow! wow
little dobbie is cute, my dog would also struggle walking through that heap of snow!

Janice said...

Sorry but better you than me. I didn't realize you guys got that much snow there but then I don't know much about the rest of the world.Lovely pics though.

Patrinas Pencil said...

I just love all of your animals. Theya re so photogenic! You guys work so hard to tend to and care for all your brood. I love that amazing shot of Baby Doll's iced hairdo. Creative thinking to share that shot with us. I guess you have a smart mare there, even if she doesn't make sense to us sometimes.

Patrina

Sally said...

Oh, I feel for you. We're not used to so much snow around here-little to none is normal and it's snowing again tonight! Thanks for all your friendly comments Lisa, I really appreciate you stoppin by!
Sally

Lilla said...

You're such a good chicken mommy....laying a path and putting up wind blocks for your chickens! Those are some lucky chickens indeed!

We haven't seen that much snow here yet in Colorado, but winter is young and I'm not ruling anything out!

Happy New Year, Lisa!

flowerweaver said...

Sometimes I think we'd be better off with fur, too. We could do away with laundry chores, closets, clothes that have grown to tight, etc!

flowerweaver said...

That is an amazing snowfall, something I knew would be fun to experience but I'd never be able to drive in it, so maybe I was listening to intuition?

It is beautiful, though. Looks like the kiddos are having fun. I loved seeing little Dobbie navigating the snowy path! Looks like she is having a blast.

Celeste said...

Isn't animal fur amazing?
The llamas and sheep look quite content with your wintry weather.

The Wades said...

My kids would be in heaven-we'll at least for a little while. And who knew chickens were so darn smart?! So much for pea brains.

I chuckled to myself reading that you wanted the snow to fall on BD. So funny. Yeah, that would have been awesome. :)