Sunday, February 21, 2010

Riding Test ~ Day One

 

Several readers left me a comment saying they were surprised that ‘Sugar’s’ owner didn’t bother to clean her up before we arrived. And I have to say I wasn’t surprised at all. Yes, it would have been nice, but I understood why she didn’t. In defense of the owner, she doesn’t live where her horses are being winter pastured. She lives over an hour north of the property and she had to meet us off the highway, about 15 min. north, because it would have been too difficult for us to try to find the location on our own as it’s way in the boonies.

The other reason is due to horse budget. I got taken when I bought my mare, Baby Doll over 2 years ago and I’m embarrassed to admit that I paid $3,500 for her. But even after a year of trying to find her a good, appropriate home, I had to take a huge loss because of the terrible horse market right now and I only got $900 for my mare. So, that’s my horse budget, if y’all must know. And unfortunately, most horses in the under $1000 range, just aren’t presented the same way that horses of higher price and quality are presented. So there ya have it. The reason why ‘Sugar’ was a muddy puppy when we picked her up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Ranchman John and I drove over to Colleen’s house Saturday to see how ‘Sugar’ would do under-saddle. She hasn’t been ridden for a few months so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

IMG_8283

When we got there, Colleen was already on ‘Sugar’ and there were several other riders there, riding their horses, from our Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club. It was great to see Christine, riding her new gaited gelding, and her hubby, Cory was there, too. He and I posed together, as crazy, spooky Zombies during the ACTHA Halloween CTR Event in October. He volunteered as one of the challenge judges and I was one of the assistant judges. It was wonderful to visit with everyone.

Colleen rode ‘Sugar’ in the arena for about 30 minutes, testing her out in her steering, stopping, trotting and cantering.

IMG_8282

Colleen decided against using the tie down and the long-shanked single jointed snaffle bit that her owner sent along with her. Instead, Colleen used a snaffle with a copper dog bone and short shanks.

‘Sugar’ seemed to go well in that and was easy to steer and stop. She understands leg and seat, too.

IMG_8281    

Colleen has a nice little trail obstacle course set up on her property with hills, steps, ‘tunnels’, bridges and a water obstacle (in season), too.

IMG_8289 

I thought that ‘Sugar’ did really well with the obstacles that Colleen rode her through and over.

IMG_8290

Even when a couple horses from Colleen’s herd came running over ‘Sugar’ didn’t get too out of hand, although that does seem to be a negative with her. She is very interested in other horses and seems to feed off their energy, probably because she’s not been around so many horses all at once. But I think many horses, who are being ridden in a field of loose horses would get excited when the loose horses start running.

‘Sugar’ was still a little excited after the loose horses got chased away and moved on, but she did eventually settle down once the high energy level those horses caused, went away.

I’m hoping to ride her on the obstacle course on Sunday, if the weather is ok. It’s snowing right now and is expected to snow again tomorrow. Bleh! I’m sick of winter. I want to ride! (Don’t laugh at my wonky legs. My stirrups were way too short and I was perched up there rather awkwardly. I didn’t readjust the stirrups after Colleen dismounted as I wasn’t planning on riding for very long on Saturday because it was so brutally windy. I must give ‘Sugar’ lots of credit for being so very patient and forgiving having me up there riding so badly.)

IMG_8296

I did get to spend quite a bit of time riding ‘Sugar’ in the arena Saturday, though. First on a lead line until I got a feel for how ‘Sugar’ would act with me on her back, and then on my own. We did figure eights, serpentines, circles, we backed up and we went over the poles and onto a wooden platform and around logs several times. She was a good girl and we had fun.

IMG_8299

She is so different than Baby Doll, and even Atta Bay and Rosie, in that to get her to move you’ve got to squeeze her hard and even kick her. I never had to kick Baby Doll and I never even had to squeeze. Just a simple cluck or word ‘walk’ and she moved. If I would have kicked her, Baby Doll would have sent me to the moon!

IMG_8300

Her owner says she uses a crop on ‘Sugar’ to make her move. I’ve never used a crop before and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I suppose if I did buy ‘Sugar’ I could wear spurs, but I think I prefer a softer, more sensitive horse. I wonder if that can be re-trained?

IMG_8301

I did try something different with ‘Sugar’, instead of kicking her to walk over the poles, for instance, I’d praise her like mad and encourage her to move on with my voice. ‘Sugar’ really seemed receptive to that and was even willing to try harder. I liked that a lot.

IMG_8302  

Ranchman John took some photos, but not too many. And he keeps forgetting how to take video with my camera. Please don’t focus on my terrible leg and heel position. We didn’t re-adjust the stirrups after Colleen dismounted, and it felt awkward. I didn’t think I’d ride her all that long with the bitter wind blowing, but I did end up riding her for at least an hour.

IMG_8303

I wish Ranchman John would have gotten photos after I dismounted ‘Sugar’ and we exchanged Colleen’s saddle for my own Henry Miller Amish-Made Plantation Saddle. I was able to get back on and ride for another 15 minutes in my saddle. It was my first time back in my own saddle since my accident, over a year ago. I love that saddle.

(You can see some of the saddle in this old photo of me riding Baby Doll, as well as in the Henry Miller link above. This photo also brings back old memories. I always thought it was funny how Baby Doll's mouth would get all frothy white and drool when she wore her Dr. Cook's Bitless Bridle.)

IMG_8001fixed

It’s so comfy with it’s gel pad suspended seat, but the cantle is low and it has no swells, so I don’t feel as secure in it anymore, especially on steep trails. It seems too big for me now, too. And it may have even helped contribute to me falling when Baby Doll teleported. Everyone at Colleen’s ranch were very curious about the saddle, though. I admit, it does look rather odd. lol!

(Like this silly old photo of me in my saddle, riding Baby Doll in the pitch black of night. I remember being blinded by that flash, too. lol!)

IMG_7611fixed

It was so cold and windy while I was riding, that Ranchman John went back to the truck to stay warm. But……Oh, I can’t forget! Ranchman John got up on ‘Sugar’, too. It’s been over two years since he’s been on a horse, so I just took him around on a lead line until he got comfortable. I think he enjoyed himself and ‘Sugar’ was a good girl the entire time.    



43 comments :

Leah Fry said...

For not being ridden in a long time, I'd say Sugar did pretty darn well. I was impressed at how she did the obstacles without more than the slightest hesitation.

You look good up there!

Anonymous said...

Horses can be retrained to respond to soft aids, although it takes time and patience. The fact that she's a little dead to the aids and was ridden in a tight tie down probably just means that her owners were a bit rough with her and not subtle, and may have been yanking or hanging on her mouth - her head position in the pictures certainly doesn't deserve a tie down - I'm not a big fan of the bit they were using which can be harsh and confuse the horse.

Good luck, and thanks for your kind comments over on my blog.

Lori Skoog said...

Lisa...from what I have seen, Sugar should pass the test easily. I wonder if my horses would be that well behaved doing the obstacles and being approached by loose horses. Colleen has a great facility. I LIKE your saddle....the important thing is how does it fit your horse? I don't think you went off your horse because it was too big...it was the other circumstances. I also am loving the bitless bridle. How tall is Sugar?
Have a great time riding today. You are doing so well.

Cheryl Ann said...

Well, it seems "Sugar" got quite a workout! And, you, too! I'm glad you get to try her out for a week. That seems reasonable! She does seem like a nice horse, but I'm no expert!

Mrs. Mom said...

Fingers crossed that you have an informative week with Sugar. I like her sturdy build, and her kind eye.

I'm excited for you! ;)

Cant wait to hear how things are going!!!

Unknown said...

Sugar is a really nice looking horse, but I am really partial to paints. I hope you get a chance to get her out on a trail ride soon.
I can't believe how much it has snowed there this year. I keep wondering how I am going to make the transition to New Mexico when the time comes. I am freezing here in Florida this winter, what will I do with myself at 6500 feet??
It looks like you were having fun with Sugar.

Unknown said...

Your saddle does not appear to be too big bit you are not sitting correctly in it in either image on babydoll which makes me think its definately not a good fit. Remember your ear, elbow and heel should be in a strait line. Your legs are way far forward. Thats what we call a chair seat. It has nothing to do with you because you sit fine in the other saddle on Sugar. It'll make you want to pitch forward and fall back. Very unbalanced.
I would try that mare in a plain snaffle if I were you. Maybe her rearing (and a few head tosses I seen there) may be contributed by the curb strap/chain.
Looks like she did well in the wind though.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

How many hands is Sugar? I had Mike watch the video of Sugar stepping up the pallet, and he said that shows she's a good horse, she didn't bawk. Again, she is a beautiful horse. Good luck today.

Jeni said...

Wow.. I like her! My well trained horses freak a bit when loose horse come running up to investigate. She should be able to desensitize her to that.

I think it's a good thing that owners do not clean up their sale horses. It gives the buyer the ability to have a more "real life" experience grooming.

Do you know her breeding at all? How many other owners has she been through? Why was she a rescue, neglect or abuse?

Hope your weather gives you a break so you can really test out that pretty little mare.
~Jeni

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It looks like Sugar did well for you. I'm impressed that she handled all those obstacles.

small farm girl said...

Lisa, that sounds very promising! Exspecially the part about her trying more when you praised her. Great job!

strivingforsavvy said...

Great photos and she looks like a nice horse! I agree with you, it would be the exception for a horse to not get excited when loose horses come running over. They feed off the energy. The fact that she calmed down quickly is nice. Also, yes, the sensitivity issue can be retrained and it is not even hard to do! My horse was dull and lazy when I got him and now he is a joy to ride!

Shirley said...

Very interesting. This looks like a nice mare, she handles really well and doesn't seem fearful or beligerant at all.I like the way she carries herself, and suspect she may have some Morgan blood; Janice might be able to comment on that.
I think the forward problem will be an easy fix without resorting to forcefulness, especially once you two are really in tune with each other. Sometimes when a horse does not want to start out it's because they are reluctant because of the way they are ridden, and see it as painful or just unrewarding work. Encouragement and praise just may work wonders on this mare. Can't wait to see more of her!

lisa said...

That is soo good. I sure hope sugar keeps up the good work and you both are happy together!

Gail said...

Sugar just may be your cup of tea...but be sure. Horses live a long time.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

If you're comfortable on her that's a great sign. Looks like she handled everything well. As for getting excited when the herd ran up and then ran away from her, it's much easier for a horse to approach or leave a herd than for the horse to watch a herd approach and leave them. As for being dull and needing to be kicked to move forward, yes, that can be retrained. see how the next ride goes with her!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Anonymous said...

Great job Lisa, you both look so pretty, Sugar in the Henry Miller and you in your new boots. :)

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Seems like Sugar did really well. Horses can learn to be more responsive to lighter aid. Plus you two don't know each other well yet, time will improve the communication also.
You look comfortable on her. See how the week goes, but she looks like a keeper

Deb said...

very pretty horse...great videos...

Anna Larson said...

Great job and a nice find. Looks like the changing of the bit was the issue. Like I said in the other post, some people just don't think about the comfort of the horse when putting in a bit.

As for the aids and her slowness to respond, some of that could also be because she's out of shape. My mule is horrible for moving out when shes out of shape, but when she's fit, she moves out much easier.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Sugar looks like a good girl! She's super cute and it looks like you're having fun with her. I hope it continues to go this well. I'm sure you can work with her on the cues to get her responding to less, especially since she's already making progress for you.

Crystal said...

Lisa sounds like you had a good ride on Sugar and she seems like a nice decent horse. Keep riding and you will know. Sure is nice to have so many helpful people, like Colleen, around as well.

Janice said...

I am liking that mare and I think the more you ride her you will see why.I'm not sure about the Morgan connection but it really doesn't matter what she is. I am liking her attitude and her apparent gentleness. Fancy price tags don't mean good horses.If that mare turns out as good as I think she will you stole her.

Louise said...

She looks lovely, and I'm glad that you're getting a chance to test her out. I agree with a lot of other folks that the forward problem can be fixed, and it looks like you have just the people around you who can help with that.

The most important questions are do you like her, and, do you feel comfortable riding her?

Dan and Betty said...

She is a good looking horse. Take advantage of Colleen as much as you can and spend as much time in the saddle with Sugar as possible before making a decision.

I believe you can retrain a horse to be more responsive to your legs so you don't have to kick, but it takes time and patience.

Good luck.

Dan

Far Side of Fifty said...

keeping my fingers crossed for you..I hope you have a great week..I know that a good horse to trail ride is what you really want..so I hope you get to do some of that this week:)

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, Sugar looks like she it a promising prospect! Looks good in the video and you look good on her. Hope the riding lessons on her turn out good.

I like the looks of your saddle, looks comfortable. I used to have an Australian Stock saddle, I really like it but it was pretty heavy. That's the reason I sold it.

Good luck the Sugar, can't wait to hear more!
hugs....
Jane

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Things look very promising for you and Sugar , I suspect it would be hard to find a horse that in a strange field with new riders and a bunch of loose horses (esp one that had a few years off)that wouldn't get a little jazzed up! She did well on the obstacles and the new bit does seem a big improvement .Enjoy the week and keep us up to date please!

Patrinas Pencil said...

Looking good , Lisa :) Good that John got up on her too - and also good that she was good. It would be nice if she could be a "family' horse.

Still praying...
Patrina <")>><

cdncowgirl said...

Sounds like you're enjoying your test rides :)

I agree with what Kate said so I won't ramble on and repeat it.

I was pretty impressed with the video of the loose horses... its totally natural for a horse to want to rush off with the herd, years of evolution have taught them to stay alive that way ;)

jacksonsgrrl said...

Lisa-Sugar looks like she may be the one! Most horses will act up at times when free horses run up to them! NO biggie. Certainly don't make that the deal breaker! I agree with a few comments from above. NO to tie downs. Snaffle bit if possible. (I love my French Link Snaffle...) I think a Tom Thumb is a Western equivalent to the snaffle? sort of? Australian saddle. I have one. I know it makes you ride with your legs more forward. I also have stopped riding mine so much cause the contact just isn't there for me. I can't feel my horse like I can in my English saddle. In fact, I would like to sell it and get my dressage saddle! That said, I am no expert, and if you love that saddle, just make sure it's a good fit for your horse! They can be wonderful, comfy trail saddles and the poleys are awesome to hold you in when coming down steep inclines, and the deep seat is a plus! Also, lots of times, just having the crop in your hand will get your horse to move out without EVER having to use it. And of course, if the horse is sluggish, make sure it isn't just from the trepidation you may be feeling or perhaps ill fitting tack, or tack she isn't used to! Maybe this is the horse that senses what the rider needs! Did your friend who rode her mention the lack of forwardness? I can't relate as Jackson is SO forward, but I HATE riding horses that don't have ANY get up and go! That said, I am just telling you of my own experiences and you need to sift the info. you get from all above comments (and mine:), take what you need and discard the rest! I'm excited to see if you buy her! :) You are coming so far so fast! Riding is just in your blood! Sorry you haven't heard from me, the winter blues have hit, even here in Texas. Lots of rain, mud, and cloudy, blucky days. Ugh.
~Mindy

Anonymous said...

Wow, she looks pretty good for not having been ridden.
Sounds like she's just been deadened to the aids and this can be retrained with a consistent rider.
If she's had a tie down and is tossing her head, have her teeth checked!

Mama H said...

Wow, she seems like a great find so far! You must have felt VERY comfortable on her back to have stayed up there for so long! She's pretty good looking, and has a nice stocky build, although she seems a little on the short side for you! What did you think of her size? I'm sure you're still looking, but I think this little mare should definitely be a top contender.

Unknown said...

Lisa,
Congratulations on buying another horse! Sugar looks great!!!!! I think you an dher will have a great time together! I wish I had the ability to do this....but I can't...so I move on. Kudos for you to keep going....it takes courage....I hope you two have along and wonderful life together! Sandy

StefRobrts said...

Seems like a nice little horse. I can't wait to hear more about her :)

City girl turned Country Girl said...

I too am not to concerned with the lack of grooming... Personally I have a white horse that I just sold and at this time of year she is yellow LOL!! Looks like a palomino, but I can't give her a bath!! And I do also like the idea of you grooming her to judge how her ground manners are. She seems to have done a great job for her first ride in so long!! The obstacle course is a great set up! I can't wait to hear your view of riding her through it!

Jocelyn said...

Lisa, can I use that picture of the big tires and the horse going through. I was tryinhg to explain it to our barn owner and she just wasnt getting it.. AT ALLL

We are trying to gather ideas for our own extreme trail course and I loved the tire deal.

Victoria Cummings said...

Lisa - Sugar looks quite happy to be there and to have something to do. It's such a hard decision that you are trying to make, so take your time. Maybe you could lease Sugar for a month to see how the two of you get along? That's what I did when I bought Silk, and it was such a good idea - I got to see her on her good days and her bad days. Also, I believe that there are great horses available in all price ranges, and even for free, out there in the world. One of the best horses I've ever seen was a free rescue horse that a friend of mine adopted. You could put a baby on that horse and she would watch after it with such gentleness, a real angel horse. You'll know in your heart when you find the right horse. It's great that you are looking for one.

CTG Ponies said...

Lack of grooming is no big deal. I would almost rather do it myself if I was looking at a horse to see how they react to it. You can definitely work with her and I think she did fantastic considering how little she's been ridden. I also agree that your legs were too far forward and too straight in the last pic with Baby Doll. I like the pics of you on Sugar with more bend in your knee. I have a rule of thumb - more whoa than go. You can always make them go faster. Good luck with her!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

In the photo where I was sitting back on Baby Doll, I wasn't riding, just sitting there doing goofy things, like I said above the photo.
We were acting like 'trick riders' lifting our legs up, hanging off the horses, laying across the horses, sliding off their butts. It was just silliness. But yeh, that saddle is way too big for me, but because it's an aussie style it's meant to place you in a more chair like position.

I'm planning on selling it soon, even though I'll be sad to see it go because it's like sitting on a cloud. But it probably contributed to me falling off sideways when Baby Doll teleported. I really want a more secure saddle. I'm considering one with poleys or one with a swell, instead of the A-Fork that I have now.

Do you think Sugar is too small for me, or a good size? Some people have said that I look just a bit too big for her. I love her height and how much easier it is to mount and dismount with my gimpy knee and hip dysplasia, but I don't want to be too heavy for my horse. I'm too old and not self-conscious enough to care if I look weird, though. lol!

I didn't like that tight bend in my knee though because it made it impossible for me to get a heel down position, especially for my gimpy knee. Colleen likes to remind me, "shorter stirrups for rodeo" "longer stirrups for trail", so I do like my leg a little bit straighter so I don't get all cramped up.


~Lisa

QuiltedSimple said...

She looks like a wonderful horse - even my extremely well broke mare would not be happy being approached by loose horses! As for the saddle - I think also what you are feeling is that your saddle is making your legs swing forward, which will not give you a secure seat. It probably felt wierd in the other saddle because it kept you in the proper position, but your legs didn't look wonky and out of line at all when you were on Sugar. They looked really good in fact. Enjoy this week with her!
Kris

Unknown said...

I haven't read all the comments so I don't know what the consensus is but..... I like Sugar. There is alot to be said for a horse that you always have to make "go". In the show world we ALWAYS look for a horse that you have to speed up - not one you have slow down. This goes right down to there temperament.

So while I think there are some things I may not LOVE about Sugar - that in itself is a huge bonus. Or at least from what I can tell from your post....

allhorsestuff said...

WOW Lisa!
You are getting out there and meeting horses..I am so happy for you!
Sugar seems pretty well mannered with all the obstacles- SHE- had to overcome in that riding day...not being ridden in a while,
WIND, riding with Loose Horses(Please tell me YOU won't do that ever!)And that bit...I was just riding with someone that had a high ported long shanked bit like that on her well mannered horse. WHAT! Um, her need for a tie down may be because of that bit and the way she was being ridden with two handed contact. Pressure on the poll and in the mouth and chin..Too harsh.
I thought your legs looked almost right, maybe a notch lower so your upper calf can touch her sides and ankle can loosen for you heel to unlock and lower.
She is mighty sturdy looking ...And her expression is so cute Lisa..she looks to be enjoying a job. Never mind that you may need to push her some...I do believe that when you start to know her and hopefully use your bitless bridle, she will understand you aides and move into forward with out fear of being hit in the mouth. She can learn to trust you. You can have little conversations about the subject.... Like ...
...When I ride Mr. Danny Boy, my PBO's Morgan gelding...he is slow as molasses to walk up or sometimes move up when I ask him...seems like I constantly nag...till I remember to ask with confidence and make sure he understands me to be leader and a fair leader.I take a little crop along, and it comes in handy...I have never hit him with it...I show it to him and sometimes hit my own boot..-as I ask for the- go-
Now he associates seeing that little crop with me slapping my boot..and he easily moves away from the sight of it...not the pain of it. He is so smart!

I am excited for you...and take your time...Are you going to vet her at all? Like teeth?
Hoping and praying for the right equine partner for you!
Kac