I just want to tell all of you, who’ve left me such wonderful comments, a huge and grateful thank you for your well wishes, congratulations, opinions and advice on my two most recent posts about finally making Apache my own and interpreting and dealing with her licking. You guys are the best!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today was gorgeous with temps close to the 60’s! I would have loved to get out and ride, but I had other plans to do with Apache instead. She’s been in her smaller paddock for the past week and I wanted to get her into the larger paddock/pasture to give her some more exercise, and get her used to the llamas, goats and sheep, and to give her access to the barn and stall, if she so chooses.
As I told you all a few days ago, Baby Doll took several months to get used to the llamas and was very spooked for a long time even to look at them. She eventually did get used to them, but it took a while.
I expected similar reactions from Apache and had prepared myself to deal with them and to just be there to help give Apache courage, even though I was also worried about any potential blow-ups or freak-outs and me getting hurt by them.
But I was still hoping that Apache might act like ‘my’ noble, brave, handsome Rojo did when he first met my llamas, as I took them out for a walk past his pasture.
He was a friendly gentleman and I think he had a crush on my pretty little llama girl, too.
(Did you happen to notice that handsome Rojo also wore a heart on his left shoulder…..just like my Apache does, too? I just noticed this as I was posting his picture. wow. Coincidence?)
This is a very special, to me, photo showing how gentle Rojo was with my little girl. Sometimes he would lower his head and let Jenna hug his muzzle and give him a kiss. It was very sweet. Such a terrible loss……….I sure do miss that beautiful boy.
Anyway…I digress.
Ranchman John told me that he wouldn’t be surprised if she just took the llamas in stride and wouldn't be bothered by them at all. It’s so annoying when he’s right.
I went up to her paddock and got her haltered and then I spent some time grooming her a little and trimming her bridle path. Her mane is so thick and bushy, it’s impossible not to get it all tangled up in the halter and bridle. I was then prepared to take her for a walk around the larger pasture to show her the fenceline and where all the trees were located….and to introduce her to the llamas.
After walking around the entire fenceline, we came back around to the barn where all the llamas, goats and sheep were hanging out.
When we walked along the woolie’s fenceline, Apache just stood and stared, even when Catlinite was being rude and stared back in his aggressive stance.
I walked her past them a couple times, but was surprised that she was eager to walk up to the fence and meet them face to face. So we did. And she never batted an eyelash.
I could tell Catlinite was disappointed. His glare had no effect on Apache at all.
She was just curious and tried to make friends with everyone.
Cataleya was much more friendly as usual and she rubbed noses with Apache, which was very sweet.
(In llamas, ears laid back is actually a sign of submission, not aggression. But when ears are laid back AND their nose goes up in the air…watch out! Then they are preparing to spit!)
And, of course, the goats and sheep were all happy to make a new friend.
Apache kept looking at me, as if she wanted me to know that she was fine with everything, and I just couldn’t stop praising her for being so calm, confident and sweet.
I love her more each day!
So, she passed another test with flying colors. I removed her halter and let her explore the rest of the pasture on her own, with me walking along beside her.
To be continued………………
34 comments :
Apache is something very special.
Great photos!
Haha, I bet that was a new experience for her! She is such a wonderful little mare. Its fabulous how she has taken everything in stride. So very happy for you and your entire family!
Excellent day of new beginnings!
Kac
Looks like one big happy family! Love the last picture of her.
Such great photos! My horses are horrified at the llama's on our ditchbank rides.. Makes me giggle but so scary for them and me on their back!
Yeah Apache! What a good girl... I'm glad she is doing so well.
Awwww. They all look so cute together. She fits right in.
You are one lucky woman, to have a treasure like Apache come into your life. Horses like that are worth their weight in gold. Congratulations! And, I wish I could have seen the smile on your face as you were introducing her to all of the critters.
What a gem! I'm very happy for you.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
Sandy
Yea Apache!! Congrats on yet another test that she's passed. :)
You are so in love! Hope Ranchman John isn't the jealous type, lol! But yeah, I have to side with him on this; not so surprised at Apache's calm. (And oh, beautiful Rojo, such an undeserved fate for such a wonderful guy.)
I am a little suprised, however, how quickly you've regained all your horsey love. Happy days are here again!
Just goes to show what taking your time to find the best horse for you really pays off!
Another home run post, glad to hear Apache is making new friends..:-)
Apache is a treasure. What a sweet soul.
Great news! She's perfect!
She is such a blessing. How wonderful for you, seems like she knows you need her to care for you.
You have outdone yourself on the photos. Everytime I think this one is the best ever and then...
Is the heart a freeze brand? They may very well have come from the same original herd.
I so pleased that I am hearing all this delight in your voice...uh, words.
I love happy stories.
You have heard the expression "Meant to be" need I say more .....it just is.
Lisa, so glad that Apache is making friends so easily! You picked a good one, she is taking everything in stride! Yippee, for you!!
Can't wait to hear when you start riding there on your place.
So happy you have your "hearts desire"
blessings to you...
Jane and Gilly
What a sweet mare - I like that she was looking to you for confirmation!
oh she is such a good girl! I love the new name aned the new trails you'll be experiencing together!
I just knew she would fit in! She is so perfect for you guys!
Fantastic story and pictures! We don't have llamas near Janow's ranch, but there are llamas near where I take lessons. Great driving ponies brave llamas most of the time. Spring has brought mating llamas, and those take getting used to!
Congratulations Lisa on your new girl. I love her new name, Apache, we had a paint at one of the farms named that,he was so sweet, like I'm sure your new girl is.She seems like she's going to be perfect for you and the family. Good luck with her. I loved all her pictures and read back on all of her story. I think this will be a good match, good luck again with her and your riding. I do wish you would consider a helmet though, even if you're not doing much with her.
Hey Lisa, I left a comment on the post about getting Apache was official, to congratulate you, but it must not have gone through. Anyways, I will congratulate you again on getting Apache, I am so excited for you!!! I think you have found the perfect horse for you and your family, and I can't wait to hear all about your journey together!!
I am so happy she isn't bothered by the Llama's and goats, she'll fit right in!!
Congratularions Lisa, sound like you and Apache are a perfect match. Im glad you found each other.
Looks like you've got a winner in Apache. I'm so happy for you. :)
Not bad. Even my dependable Morgunn would be a little cautious.
Good stuff.
Dan
Lisa I was wondering if you had any sites on preparing fleece for spinning. Last night a friend and I sheared a couple of her sheep and I have a few large bags of fleece that need to be washed and carded(right?) before I can take it to the homestead to spin it into yarn myself.
You really lucked out, Lisa. She's awesome.
What wonderful news. I'm glad she's becom(ing) the horse of your heart as well as a good, dependable ride.
What did you decide about the licking? I'm so curious.
I sure love that you love her! That is sooo coolio that Rojo also had a heart!! They were both "heart' horses! She is such a sweet horse for you - and the family. How cool that she passed yet another test with the rest of the critters.
Hugs,
Patrina <")>><
oh lordy i can just see the Arabs here if they saw a llama - eeek! seeing that they've been scared of cows and wind the last few days. hooray for sensible Apache!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Rojo was such a gorgeous soul...I am not a bit surprised at how well Apache did though!! She is awesome!! I liked your tidbit about the llama's ears pinned! Very interesting!!
Post a Comment