Friday, April 30, 2010

Wishful Thinking

 

               A few days ago I was hopeful.

It was sunny and warm, temperatures into the upper 70’s. My peach blossoms seemed to be recovering well from last week’s hail and ice storm.

IMG_9828

      

       Even buzzing bees stopped by to pay them a visit.

IMG_9847

I had been enjoying the fresh air and cheerful bird songs by keeping my window open, even at night. The nights were still cool with temperatures down into the 40’s and 50’s, but I was cozy tucked underneath my down comforter. I sleep better that way even though some people would say it’s too cold and want to close the window and turn on the heat.

Yesterday a huge storm raged all day and night with sustained winds of 40-50 mph and gusts up to 67 mph. Wind like that can be very unsettling. Quite a few times I felt my bed vibrating and realized the wind was slamming so hard into our house that it was making our walls shake.

The skies steadily got darker and when I woke up this morning, I was greeted with this.

IMG_0073 

Last night when I went in to gather eggs from my chickens I found their plexiglass window had been blown out and broken into too many pieces to salvage. So I found an old poster frame, removed the plexiglass, and cut a piece to replace inside the chicken house window. I decided to use some duck tape to keep it from being blown out again, because the winds were still raging. This morning when I went to check on and feed my flock, I found that the window survived the night.

IMG_0039

 

 

 

That flowering tree inside their coop is a Red Delicious Apple Tree. It had just started blooming in the last two days. Ironically, I was thinking of taking some macro photos of some of the blooms yesterday, but figured I’d wait until today after the winds died down.

Too bad because now the poor blooms have probably went into shock.

IMG_0027

I wonder if some of the buds might not bloom at all. But at least I got my macro shots. sigh.

IMG_0035

When I was feeding the chickens (inside their house, of course) I noticed that my broody hen, Mrs. Cotton had decided to sit on the fake wooden egg, inside the other nest, instead of the three Polish and Silky eggs I gave her two weeks ago.

    The eggs were cold. So much for Springtime chicks.

IMG_0023

Ranchman John is in Philadelphia starting a new job and will be there for several months. So, I’m on my own again in taking care of things around the ranch and with my kidlets. I guess it was wishful thinking that our weather would be better, so that I wouldn’t have to hike up to the barn over icy, muddy, snowy and slippery ground.

I learned my lesson the last time I slipped and fell and hurt my knee when it snowed last month. This time I wore my knee brace and used my trekking poles as support and leverage. I probably looked silly with my heavy coat, gloves, tuque, and snow boots pulling myself up the hill with what appeared to be ski poles. Oh well, if it keeps me from falling again, that’s fine with me.

          The trek up to the barn looked long and cold.

IMG_0020  

I didn’t lock Apache up in her stall last night because I prefer to let my horse decide where she wants to spend her time. I like giving my horse the freedom to move around and be where she's most comfortable. The two paddocks and pasture that Apache has access to both have evergreen tree wind blocks and shade, as well as access to the barn 24/7. But she seems to prefer the outside over being in the barn. Apache mostly just eats in her stall and sometimes goes in to escape the wind. She doesn’t like to be penned up and becomes fidgety and antsy inside. She did look happy to see me this morning, though, and trotted right up to me, nickering. So sweet.

IMG_0043

 

 

Apache wasn’t so sure what to think of my trekking poles at first.

IMG_0044

 

 

 

                                  But I had carrots.

IMG_0045

                                                                                 

                                                                                   “Feed Me”

IMG_0054

Frustratingly, because of the crazy gusting wind, a lot of snow still made it into the barn. With their thick fleece, the llamas aren’t bothered by the snow at all.

Cataleya says, “Got cookies?” (She looks like a frosted mini-wheat, don’t you think?)

IMG_0069

I suppose it was wishful thinking hoping that the arrival of our Barn Swallows meant Spring was finally here. The pair that is building this mud nest, on our ceiling outlet, might be thinking of moving to a warmer climate soon.

(I think it’s neat to see our chicken’s feathers up there along with llama fiber and Apache’s tail and mane hair)

IMG_0070

Most folks who don’t have horses or other livestock can’t understand the appeal of just hanging out in a barn listening to the animals munch their hay. It’s almost zen-like listening to their rhythmic chewing. I was particularly satisfied watching and listening to Apache this morning sloppily, slurping her grain mash with gusto.



But I still don’t think she appreciated me locking her up in her stall and pen.

IMG_0066



And I know she can’t be too happy with our never-ending winter.

IMG_0063



I suppose it was just wishful thinking, believing that winter was finally over.

IMG_0056



33 comments :

CTG Ponies said...

I hope the sun comes out and the wind warms up and all of the yucky snow melts! Where in Philly is John? I'm about 35 miles west of Philly.

Louise said...

And I thought that we had long winters! Here's hoping that this is the last snow.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks CTG Ponies. I hope so, too. John is currently at the airport....homeless. lol!
Really, he is working for the airlines again at the Philly airport, but he doesn't have a temporary place to stay yet and is just sleeping in his truck.
Defintely not as comfy as the big rig he was driving last year. But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

~Lisa

Carla said...

Oh no!!! I think I'd be yanking my hair out right now if I were you. I'm hoping warm, spring breezes come and stay this time.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

We were supposed to get all that snow, but I think that the high winds blew the clouds by so fast that there wasn't time for anything to stick. They clocked our winds from that storm at 81 MPH. We are thankfully now out of the pattern of having snowstorms every weekend, but now they have chosen to come through every Tuesday, which is the one day of the week I have to drive up to the lake office. I suppose it will keep snowing through July this year, says my pessimistic side. My daughter got a job as summer camp counselor in China in a city by the sea this summer. I wish I could go with her. It's gotta be warmer there.

Deb said...

Congrats to your husband on the job...so sorry it has to be so far away...hopefully it will turn warm and stay that way for you and your crew...

Dreaming said...

Oh, as I watch the snow swirling in our 17-20 mph winds, I am also doing some wishful thinking. But, I do know that spring will come to you and to me and it will be glorious. I like to think that days like this make the gorgeous spring days even more appreciated!

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry our winds made it over to you and dropped snow. We had a 10 degree temperature drop here for 2 days and WIND, WIND, WIND!!! Not sure if it rained in our mountains, but it sure was nice here! Next week, it will be 100 degrees. UGH!

Unknown said...

Gee to think I was complaining today because my hat flew off and got shredded under the stock shredder behind me cutting grass and I got a sunburn on my hair line. Sure glad I was in a tank top. The winter should end soon!

StefRobrts said...

More snow?! I can't believe how when it's gone everything looks so dry and yellow, then you get more snow. It's so different from what I'm used to!

We had a hen go broody, and she won't stay in one place as long as there are other nest boxes around. I think the other hens might chase them off to lay more eggs too. So I moved her to the tractor with 6 eggs and she has been devoted to sitting on them ever since. 2 weeks to go!

Gail said...

You got a good man, as if you didn't know that already.

The snow will melt and the sun will shine again...sometime.

jane augenstein said...

Opps! I hit send before I finished!
XO
Jane and Gilly

jane augenstein said...

Oh, dang!!! That's terrible, your poor fruit trees!!! I hope that somehow the blossoms are able to come through it.
the weather here has been pretty warm but three nights we've had frost....I am still protecting my garden plants and they aren't in the garden yet.
Lisa, I am so wishing that spring would get to you and the snow will be gone!!!

EvenSong said...

I love the sound of animals munching, and the smell of hay. It usually sets off a flash-back to lazy summer days, even when I am bundled up against the wind and snow. We've had crazy wind this week too, but luckily, no snow. The hay fields are greening up!

Beth said...

Arg. . I agree with Apache! Time for spring! At least we don't have snow.

I love your little silky. I just lost mine to a fox the other DAY. It was day time and the fox came out.

Your poor apple blooms. I hope you get some fruit. Do you sell it or just for your family?

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Hopefully this will be winter/spring's last hurrah! I noticed a few swallows in my barn the other day but I expected many more. Maybe they were smart enough to know about this last cold spell. It was so cold this morning that my mares were shaking. I had to throw blankets on both Annie and Nadia.

Alison said...

Oh, you poor thing! Too much disappointment in one day. I dunno, those apple blossoms could come back...how did the peach tree make out?

Still, I'm glad you have a safe way to make it up to the barn and hang out with the animals. I never had horses, but I know what you mean about hanging out with the animals and just listening (and smelling, too--that warm animal smell, plus the hay and grains and the whole atmosphere.)

Chin up sweetie; I hope Apache helps the Ranchman-less months go by quickly!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

The snow sucks I know , but it will make things green anfd beautiful soon! Glad you took care with your knee

Christy said...

I'm sorry. That stinks. It was 39 here the other night and I thought I'd go crazy!

Jeni said...

umm... yah... Lots of wind in Southern Ohio but definitely Shorts and Tank top temps here!

Your flowering trees are very pretty I sure hope they bare or bear fruit for you this summer. Nothing like an apple or peach off a tree!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

On my, snow and strong winds. I appreciate that we are having a fairly nice Spring and that loooong winter.

John is sleeping in his car? in Philly? Bless his heart. Hope he has a good job.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Oh my God, I can't believe my eyes.

Apache looks great though. Much healthier for them mentally and physically to be able to go in and out at will.

Patrinas Pencil said...

Lisa, you sure tell a good picture story....thanks for sharing your day. I'm sorry about the snow....and I'm sorry about ranchman John being away for so long... that's tough! ...for all of you... I pray safety for him and you - and strength to do what you need to do for the ranch anamials and the kiddlets. Sounds like a very long time. God bless you for the courage to carry on through thick and thin..

I love you first two pictures of th peach blossoms.. So crisp and clear... I see the hair on the bee and the veins in the leaves and petals...awesome!!

I always love seeing your horse and your animals...loved the swallow nest too. I'm just glad that you have chosen to share your life with me...thanks for sharing

Have a great weekend.
Patrina <")>><

Callie said...

snow, warm, snow, warm..........would make me crazy! Nice photos!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Lordy!! I cannot believe you got snow again! I'd go mad crazy Lisa! I hope you don't lose your trees again this year!! I am glad to hear that John got a new job but sorry to hear your all alone and he is without housing!! JEEPERS!! I hope everything turns out well!!

jacksonsgrrl said...

Lisa~ You sound discouraged! I can't say as I blame you... it is already summery here, in the 80's daily! Love it! I just can't live where snow is that prevalent. Scarred from childhood. I'm from Philly and my brother and mom are still there. My brother is right downtown (he's an art teacher) and my mom is in Boothywn which is 30 minutes south on the Delaware border. Let me know if John needs any help, my family is the hookup,
especially my brother....
Take care,
Mindy

Leah Fry said...

Haha! Yes, Cataleya does look like a frosted mini wheat.

You're right in that most people don't get the zen of just hanging out with the critters. Nothing is more satisfying and calming. All is well with the world.

Keep that #@!* weather! Our forecast seems to change hourly and I still can't figure out what it's supposed to do this weekend. Chance of storms (rain, thank goodness), but the odds are all over the place.

Too bad about Mrs. Cotton's chicks. She must have known something you didn't.

small farm girl said...

Girl, you need some warm weather! Enough already with the snow. lol

Rising Rainbow said...

Now it's May maybe things will warm up. I sure hope so. I'm fed up with the winter like spring too.

Janice said...

Wow I thought we had stupid weather. Everything looks cold and closed up again.

Ed said...

WOW! You guys sure have had a tough never ending winter, but alas you do live in the mountains. The pics are excellent but the peach blooms in the snow are SPECTACULAR!!! Hope you still get plenty of peaches this summer..:-)

Ed said...

WOW! You guys sure have had a tough never ending winter, but alas you do live in the mountains. The pics are excellent but the peach blooms in the snow are SPECTACULAR!!! Hope you still get plenty of peaches this summer..:-)

Amy said...

Apache is such a beautiful gal!!!