Yesterday evening, I brought Apache into the barn for the night because the weather report said we could expect more snow and rain with colder temperatures. I also wanted to take my measure tape up to the barn and see what size blanket I should buy for my mare. Interestingly, Apache was frightened by the measuring tape and jumped and ran away from me whenever I tried to touch her with it. So I decided to desensitize her to the tape, even though I was a little surprised that she didn’t trust me to touch her with it in the first place.
We spent about 15-20 minutes with me just flinging the thin tape on her sides, back, neck, head and legs, until she finally stood stock still and started licking and chewing. Then I began touching her with it using my hands, sliding it all over her sides and back as if I was measuring her. She got nervous again and moved away, so we went back to just flinging of the tape again.
And then I brought out a few cookies and kept reassuring and rewarding Apache while giving her praise, which seemed to work even better to relax her. After another few minutes of that, I moved away from her and went back into the tack room for more cookies, to give her a release from the pressure. Then I came back and started back again with flinging the tape, and moved into rubbing her with it until she stood relaxed, licked and chewed. I was very proud of her and then I was finally able to take her measurements, which were 69”.
I was surprised because that is the size of Baby Doll’s blanket, which I still have. It will be interesting to see how it fits Apache, as she just seems so much smaller than Baby Doll was. Well she’s shorter in height at least, but maybe not in length. I wanted to try the blanket on her, but didn’t want to add anymore pressure since she had cooperated so nicely in getting used to the measuring tape. I decided to just keep her in the stall for the night instead.
Good thing, too, because when I woke up around 3am to use the bathroom, I noticed that there was over an inch of snow on the ground. Thankfully it had all melted by the time I went up to feed everyone. The sun was even shining. But something told me to keep Apache in the barn for the rest of the day anyway. Good thing, too. Because by late morning the skies opened up and it turned into a blizzard up here!
I noticed that my neighbor D, must have bought a new horse and possibly sold his other three. He’ usually keeps them down in the Rio Grande Valley where he can ride them in rodeo roping events. I felt badly for this new horse, because he probably came up from the valley and isn’t acclimated to our colder spring weather, and his first day here he has to deal with a blizzard.
Can you see him?
I took these photos from my bedroom balcony glass doors, so I had to zoom in for a better view. See him now?
Poor guy seems to be without any buddies, too. D doesn’t have any real shelter for his horses except for the wall of his yard and a couple short juniper trees to serve as a wind block. When the wind picked up and the snow blew sideways, this poor fellow galloped all over his paddock.
I received an e-mail from my friend Renee this afternoon. She had just gotten home from riding down at Cedar Hill Farm this morning. She said the snow was falling fast and thick and she could barely feel her fingers and toes, but Renee said she had a blast anyway and would do it again in a heartbeat. She’s one tough cowgirl! And that’s the way it is up here in the central mountains of New Mexico, above 7,000 ft.
If you have horses and you want to ride, you’ve got to just get out and do it, or you’ll never get the chance. Our weather can change so quickly. A group of us gals who rode in January, February and March this winter, through snow, rain and wind, call ourselves the Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club. Seems like a fitting name considering how we get can get snowstorms from October all the way into May, eh?
22 comments :
I like the sound of the Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club! But I sure don't want that weather. Today was the most beautiful day. I got too much sun, of course, but it felt like heaven with the sun shining and a light breeze.
You know what size Poco's blanket is? 80".
Is that guy with the horses you're talking about the one that owned Rojo? Fortunately, horses are tougher than we give them credit for.
Please, please keep that weather.
Wow! Lisa, more snow, bummer! I don't have a blanket for Gilly or Pokey, they seem to not need one. I should get one for each of them though, just in case I ever need one. I'll bet Gilly would take a huge one! LOL Pokey a little one.
Hope the snow goes away soon.
Oh, that poor horse, no where to get in out of the snow, rain or wind, I know horses are tough but a little shelter of some kind would be nice for them!
hugs....
Jane and Gilly
Hmmm, I sense a pattern here. You get wind, then we get wind. You get snow, then we get snow! Enough, already! Snow in May just doesn't make sense (neither does snow in September, which we had last year)!
I wasn't sure whether to get blankets for my guys. I had to borrow one from a friend when Pippin had a tooth extracted on an especially nasty day. The anesthesia and pain made him really vulnerable to the cold. So after that I bought blankets, just in case. I'd rather have them and never use them, then need them. I've checked the guys during our last few snow storms to make sure they weren't shivering. They've shed out most of their winter coats, and they seem wetter than usual. But, no shivering, so, no blankets.
I'm betting that summer where you live, like my location at over 7000 feet in elevation, makes up for the weather you are getting now!
Oh, I bet your neighbor's horse thinks he died and went to he**!
ugh!!!!! You are changing my mind on retiring to the mountains !!!
Remember .. this too will pass. Someday.. maybe...
I just can't get over that you're having snow again!! GAH!!! I love this about the Internet though, that you can look at all these places you'd like to live (boy would I like to join you) except for the SNOW!! I couldn't hang with that.
Love it though, love to watch it thru your eyes :)
Well Lisa, more's coming from the West. It's still snowing here.
whaaaaat the ??! well, we have snow in the forecast for this week too! what a crazy spring. (of course, i love it : )
- The Equestrian Vagabond
it's hard to believe your getting snow..and we are wearing shorts today here in Texas...
you're having Spring blizzards and others are having tornados and flooding, but fortunately we are having a very nice Spring. I hate it for ya and the animals, sure hope it clears up soon.
That's blowing pretty hard. I picked up a gift for you and the kiddos while I was out shopping this weekend. Hopefully, my boss will give me half an hour off to get to the post office and mail it out this week.
Apache may be shorter but she looks stouter. And if she's close to the same length I wouldn't be too surprised if they both wear the same size blanket.
Size is funny, Voodoo is definately the shortest horse we have but he has the biggest head. lol
Apache may be shorter but she looks stouter. And if she's close to the same length I wouldn't be too surprised if they both wear the same size blanket.
Size is funny, Voodoo is definately the shortest horse we have but he has the biggest head. lol
I noticed the neighbor's horse but I think it's the gray, although very, very dirty.
It's snowed three days now, enough already! I've been blanketing Annie because she's shivering from the cold. She's very sensitive to the cold, especially since she's mostly shed out now.
Man that's thick snow! Just curious, when you measured Apache did you go from the center of the chest to the center of the tail? Most horses don't like tape measures, especially the metal ones. Horse-eatin' things, ya know!
I feel bad for you and your horse. Enough is enough!
You are a good horse owner....much much differnt than your neighbor D!
keep smiling
Patrina <")>><
Thats nutty snow. We usually have our last storm by the middle of March. That is why Stormy was named as she was, she was born two years ago in the last snowstorm in March.
And here I have been complaining about all the wind and rain we have been getting, and you have snow! Ick! I was out working Chance in the pouring rain, soaking wet and miserable. I feel like it is never going to warm up!
Oh my, will it ever end!! I will say again I don't know how you do it!! I would go batty with all of that snow!!
ps~ I like the "Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club" name too!!
OMG more snow! This winter just doesn't want to let go! We're over in Amarillo, and the past 2 night have had to turn the heat up just a tad to keep the chill out. Sure hope once winter is gone for good, summer is uneventful.
Good for you riding in the snow! With the winter that we had, if you didn't ride in the snow, you didn't ride. It's hot and humid here - 70 at 5 AM, going into the 80s. Sending some warmth your way!
Hi Lisa,
Could we have a photo tour of your barn please? Or, if you've already done this, could you please point me in the right direction? We're going to be building another barn and I think I'd like something similar to yours. I'd love to be able to show my husband more photos so he'd get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Thanks,
OS
Good thing you love snow so very much, eh? :D
I'm glad your instincts had you keep Apache in the barn. As exposed as she might feel, at least she's better off than her neighbor. I don't suppose D has improved his fencing any?
I didn't realized Apache wasn't used to blankets. But thinking back to what you've told us of her previous owners...well, duh.
Post a Comment