I know I’ve been whining about the warm and snowless winter we’ve been having in New Mexico so far. I’ve been worrying about whether we’d have a White Christmas, or not. It seems that for us, a White Christmas has arrived a week early!
(This was taken around noon on Thursday, right after the snow started falling. Apache, the three goats and the two llamas are all in the barn)
(Note: We live in the Sandia and Manzano Mountains at 7,000 ft elevation.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
**A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow is in effect until 11am MST Friday**
* Snow accumulations:
*10 to 18 inches with 2 feet or more across the Sangre de Cristo Mountains as well as the Sandia and Manzano Mountains above 6,500 feet.
*6 to 12 inches and higher amounts are likely along the I-25 corridor from the Colorado border Southward to Pecos and along the I-40 corridor from Moriarty Eastward through Clines Corners.
* Timing... snow will continue through Friday morning before
diminishing. Snow will be heavy at times... especially across
the higher terrain and adjacent Highlands.
* Local impacts... visibilities will drop below one quarter mile. Roads will become snow packed and icy... including Interstate 40 and Interstate 25. Precautionary/preparedness actions...
**A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency**
~~~~~~~~~~
(Hopi, my son Jax’s cat, mesmerized by the falling snow)
I had a feeling it was going to be a doozy of a storm when Ranchman John blew off my gut feeling by saying that, on Wednesday, the weatherman was reporting just some minor snow showers for Thursday and Friday. I told him I had a bad feeling about this impending storm and he said it would blow over quickly and the snow would just be a dusting.
Hah! Famous last words!
He wasn’t so confident tonight when he backed his truck out of the garage and promptly got stuck because the 4-wheel drive went out. We spent an hour trying to get the truck unstuck, but the snow fell faster than we could shovel it out!
(This photo was taken only about 20 minutes after we gave up and went inside. The snow had already filled in all the footprints and shoveled areas)
Ranchman John had to call in to work and stay home instead. (Secretly I’m glad and very relieved) The road crews can’t even keep up with clearing the roads because the snow is falling faster than 2” an hour.
Earlier today I was suspicious of this storm when I went out and checked on the chickens, and they refused to come out, even after I shoveled an area for them to come out of their house. And just 30 minutes later, the entire area I had shoveled clean, all the way down to dirt, already had 2” of snow cover.
(Photo taken around noon Thursday)
I closed the chickens inside their cozy house with the heater bulb, warm water, and plenty of food to keep them busy. They seemed happy to be inside and said thank you by giving me three fresh eggs.
Apache was very happy to see me as I walked up to the barn.
(Photo taken about 3pm on Thursday)
It took us a while to walk carefully up the hill, while snapping a few photos. Dobbie says, “Hurry up. My belly’s getting cold!”
Apache mare was impatient, pacing, pawing and nickering.
“Hurry up and put that camera away. I’m hungry and bored up here”
The Llamas were so excited to see me they were both humming and pacing as I trudged up the hill.
I gave everyone cookies and carrots, fed them their hay, refilled water buckets, and tucked them in for the night. It was only 3:30pm, but it felt much later and was getting dark already.
Jen held my trekking poles while I took some photos.
I learned my lesson to use them last year, after slipping and falling on the snow and ice walking back down the hill from the barn.
Dobbie had fun in the snow for about 20 minutes and then she was more than ready to head back inside.
It’s tough having such short legs.
I wonder what we’ll be waking up to in the morning?
I took these two photos at 11:00pm Thursday night, on my bedroom balcony, and the snow is still falling hard and fast.
17 comments :
Oh, my! Is that 10 inches of snow I see?
18 inches???? HOLY SNOW!! We had record snow fall yesterday official count was 4 inches. I measured in my back yard that is wind protected and had just over 6. We never get that much here in Cincinnati. We are too far south.
Stay warm and dry my friend!
~Jeni
OMG!! No, thank you! You guys can keep that stuff up there!!!! It's been sunny and near 70 all week down here :) I love it!
Dobbie is so CUTE with her little coat on!!
LOL! And thats just the beginning.. Great shots, love Dobie girl in the red coat, at least you cant loose her in the snow..:-))
That's a lot of snow for one storm. Our forecast keeps changing every few hours, but this morning they posted a picture of ice for Saturday. We get ice around here all the time, but this is the first time I've seen the forecasters use that icon. It much be really bad ice if they are forecasting it.
Yikes! That's some storm. But, doesn't it feel good to know that you're inside, safe and warm, while all that is going on outside?
Yeah so we got snow but not much more in the near future. For our first real snowfall it's stuck around. I have gone for sleigh rides 3 days in a row. The bad thing about it is our water lines in the barn froze. We never had problems when there were cows but the last two years it's been bad and it really froze this year (it was -24 here brrrr and suuuper windy) my dad finally came out intending to take the heat gun to the lines only to check the heat tape and realize something had cut/chewed it and it no longer worked. Problem solved. I just hope we don't have to bucket again. it's actually not bad when theres snow this year. I put the big tubs we fill for horse shows and put them on the stone boat that pulls like a sled! So easy. I just open the gate to the barnyard and pull it over, no bucket carrying required.
Wow, you are sure getting the snow! The chickens knew, didn't they.The cat looks very un-impressed. Hope it stays around for Christmas for you.
Oh my, you did get a lot of snow...with more to come. From my perspective, sitting in my warm house at my computer, I will have to say that it all looks beautiful!
I apologize for the snow...we were supposed to get it and the storm slowed and pushed south, landing on all of you. So sorry (maybe not)!
Oh my, you did get a lot of snow...with more to come. From my perspective, sitting in my warm house at my computer, I will have to say that it all looks beautiful!
I apologize for the snow...we were supposed to get it and the storm slowed and pushed south, landing on all of you. So sorry (maybe not)!
Wow, Lisa that's some snow!!! We got 5 inches of snow yesterday but you have topped that for sure!!! I think what we got is enough for me, hope it lasts until Christmas then it can go away! Today seems warmer, it's in the mid 20's and compared to 10 and 12 degrees with high winds it is much WARMER!!! I am even thinking of going out for a ride today. However Gilly may have other plans....LOL... will have to see what he has to say first!
hugs..
jane
Well no worries about having white Christmas now! That snow should last for a while. Have a Merry Christmas!
Beautiful photos, but I'm glad you are all home, safe and warm. Not even a raindrop at our house in Las Cruces, but I can smell some distant rainfall--perhaps in the Organ Mountains.
pretty pictures! Is this much snow normal for your area, or is this an unusual event?
I enjoyed looking at the pics of all your animals..the chickens knew what was coming, lol! so they choose to stay inside nice and cozy.
Stay safe and warm
xoxo
Wow, when you guys do it, you do it BIG!!!
Yikes! stay warm, you might need to get stilts for poor Dobie
You could send some of that snow to Michigan. We've only had a few inches and we are SUPPOSED to get snow here - it's a northern state, right?
Post a Comment