No. This isn’t a post about Apache. But here’s a photo of her taken this morning. Can you see her through the blizzard?
No. This post is about another special horse (and another critter, too. More on that later)……….
It’s been a year since Baby Doll went to go live with her new owners.
You can read my heartfelt tribute, see her doting owners, and the last moments we spent together, by visiting this link:
Not more than a week has gone by, this past year, that I’ve not thought of my first horse. Sometimes I’m just remembering her scent, some of her endearing mannerisms, the good rides she gave me, or her beauty and spirit. Sometimes I remember the not so great things, too.
I wonder if her memory will fade someday?
I don’t think so.
Baby Doll will always have a special place in my heart.
At least I know that she is happy and doing well. Her new owners, who live in Eastern New Mexico, in Portales, adore her. They take good care of her, ride her often, and treat her like the princess she knows she is. The following photos were sent to me by her owners, so please excuse the photo quality.
Baby Doll has some good neighbors and very nice living quarters.
She is ridden a lot, by her Dad, T. He takes her out on the trails, with his wife and her mare, and, during the summer, he works on a cattle ranch and takes Baby Doll with him, giving her a job herding cattle. I’m sure she loves it.
She might even get more love and attention from T, than she got from me.
I sure hope T’s wife, B, doesn’t mind sharing her husband with the other girl in his life.
I still miss her sometimes, but I know she is enjoying her new life and is doing just fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~
On the same note, but a different species of animal, I’ve been wondering how my two sheep, Blanca and Svetlana, that I sold last May, are doing. You can read about that day by visiting this link:
And you can check out a very endearing, funny story that their new owners sent to me last summer:
Last week I received an email inviting me to attend some interesting classes taught by traditional Navajo Pueblo Indians on processing churro wool and mutton. So I forwarded it to Blanca’s and Svetlana’s new owners, because they are focused on the history of Navajo sheep and preserving the Navajo heritage. Of course, I was also hoping for an update on my two very sweet and special ewes.
That evening, I received an email back thanking me for the information along with a few photos and some exciting news about Blanca.
That’s right! She’s a Mama!
She gave birth to a little female lamb on Dec. 6th. This was not only Blanca’s first lamb, but also the first lamb born to her new owners and their flock. They decided to name her T’aala, which is Navajo for first!
Is that not the most wonderful news?! Receiving the news right before Christmas, was like being given a very special surprise gift! Really made me happy.
I was told that Blanca is a wonderful Mama and takes very good care of her pretty little baby. T’aala inherited her lovely and unique butterscotch markings from her Daddy, a 4-horned Navajo Churro Ram. He must be very handsome, because she’s beautiful and quite exotic looking!
They are hoping to find Svetlana her own handsome ram someday, but in the US, Karakul sheep are very rare. They did have Svetlana out with the Navajo Churro ram this summer, because Karakuls and Churros are both coarse wool sheep. But her owners don’t believe she was bred because the ram had too much difficulty maneuvering around her tail…….the trademark fatty tail of the Karakul sheep, which is where the sheep store fat to survive in the desert when food is scarce (think camel hump).
I did a post about my sweet Svetlana and Karakul sheep, as well as my friendly Blanca and Navajo Churros, the day we brought both of them home, when they were still adorable little lambs. You can see photos of them, including Svetlana’s fat tail, by visiting this link:
It’s a great feeling knowing your re-homed animals are being taken good care of.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The snow is still falling hard here with wind gusts up to 55 mph. The weather folks said we should expect between 6-8”of the white stuff. I canceled a Dr. appt. I had this morning in Albuquerque, but I’m not sure they believed me that we had gotten about 3” of snow yesterday and we had a storm raging today. Albuquerque is only 20 minutes west of us, but while they are around 4,000’ elevation, we’re above 7,000’ elevation. Big difference when it comes to weather.
(The birds are well-fed and watered, with bird seed and leftover cornbread, and look pretty chipper, despite the blowing snow and freezing temperatures)
I really don’t like to drive in blizzard conditions with thickly falling snow that is blowing sideways, so I canceled about 2 hours before the appointment.
The receptionist was very nice, but she did give me a little speech about remembering to give a 24 hour notice. Well sometimes that’s just not possible, especially in regards to weather in New Mexico. It can change hourly and a common saying here is, “Don’t like the weather? Wait 15 minutes and it will change”
Then you get people from out of state who aren’t used to snow or the peculiarities of New Mexico and the elevation differences.
Reminds me of a story….
Ranchman John was in a Home Depot last winter buying some new snow shovels, and a know-it-all type, new transplant from California (It’s easy to tell, trust me), snickered at the snow shovels in my man’s arms, and told my hubby, “Well, those are a waste of money. You won’t need them here”.
I guess he doesn’t know that, in New Mexico, you can head up to the mountains to go skiing in the morning and head back down for a round of golf in the afternoon. And if you live in the mountains, you will need snow shovels.
Ironically, just about an hour ago, Ranchman John called me from his job in Albuquerque and said that they’re only getting a little rain, with some snow flurries in the foothills.
He called me a second time to tell me the sun was shining. And wouldn’t you know it, just 15 minutes later the sun was shining up here, too. But at the same time the snow was blowing!
Of course, the sun quickly vanished as the clouds, heavy with snow, commenced with their duty of making sure everything is covered in fluffy white.
27 comments :
I'm so glad that all of your re-homed animals are doing so well. That gives you a nice, warm feeling in your heart, for sure. The lamb is adorable, cute as a button.
We have strange snow, too. Where I live, we don't have mountain snow, but we do have lake effect snow. The cold wind blows over a warmer Lake Ontario and picks up tons of moisture, which it proceeds to dump when it hits the south shore. So, we can have tons of snow where I live, and 10 minutes to the south, they will only get flurries.
When I worked, I used to save vacation days for "snow days." Many times, the storm would be raging at my house, but, when I called in, they would tell me that the sun was out there. Luckily, my boss had lived in this area long enough to know all about lake effect, and she always believed me.
We are over at my Dad's for a brief visit and we are officially snow bound. Amazing transformation in 12 hours...
(Hit return too quick)
Glad BD has found a good home with someone who can handle her shenanigans. I haven't been able to learn what happened with Canyon, but I see Cibolo quite regularly. It's bittersweat to see them happy in new homes...
It's nice of the new owners to keep you informed. Same thing happened here yesterday with the weather. I was sitting by the window gasping at the sunshine, looked away, looked back and there was a white out. I ran outside to find the horses covered in snow. I ushered them into the barn, snow blowing horizontally, practically knocking me down. I closed up the last stall, and the sun came out. Geez.
Lisa, you did well , rehoming your animals ,and it looks like they are thriving, Its right around this time last year you and I "met " though I think we had each been reading the others blog for a time . So glad I was ablew to go on the journey with you while you searched and eventually found Apache . Have a Happy New Year my friend!
It is good to know your decisions to rehome turned out so well.
It was meant to be.
That's funny: We used to use that statement about the 15 minute weather changes when we were in Montana!
I'm so glad that you are able to keep up with your animals. I am at about 50/50 for updates on my young horses, and it's a little frustrating.
Glad to hear Baby Doll has found her place in the world--she just needed a job to do!
Great post Lisa, glad to hear the kids are well taken care of..:-))
Thanks so much for the Baby Doll update! Yes, it sure looks like a good fit all around. It must be some kind of relief to know that she's probably much happier with someone who's able to handle her...and give her a job!
I think everyplace I've lived has quoted that "...wait 15 minutes..." thing. Too bad the flatlanders don't get it! Next time you should ask the lady for her email and send her a photo, lol!
You are so lucky that the animals found such good homes!!! It does make you feel good!!
I have a few I wish I could rehome, but up here, you cant even give old horses away :0(
So we take care of them and feed them and make them comfortable.
Brrr! Look at all your snow! You can barely see your horse!
Glad you did an update on Baby Doll, that's so nice that she is loved and used and happy.
Congratulations for Blanca too! What an adorable baby.
You're welcome for the snow :) Let's not do it again soon, lol
Glad everyone is doing well.
Also: you get *15 minutes* of each kind of weather? We get 5 minutes. Maybe 10, if you include "daylight" as a type of weather.
>whining< : Is it spring yet?
Great update..that new baby is so adorable! We are having a blizzard too:)
That is wonderful that your beloved re-homed animals are doing well. I still worry (feel guilty) about having to re-home Marley last summer. But sometimes it is best for both horse and human. It's still hard though. It makes it much easier when you know they are in a good place. I'm happy for you that you have that peace of mind. And happy for Baby Doll and your adorable sheep, that they are with good people.
Beautiful snow pictures of Apache. Happy New Year.
I believe Baby Doll has a good home, thanks to you! So much good news to share!!! Our rain storm must have hit you with the snow a few days later! I have not had a ride for at least 10 days now...miss the horses bunches!
What happy news! That's awesome you are able to keep in touch with the new owners. The past two horses I sold over the years were immediately "flipped" when I was sure they were going to long term homes and I never saw them again.
Gotta love those Californians! We enjoy bad winters here only because it chases a good deal of them back south:)
Hi there! Lisa it was so nice of you to come by for awhile! Great to hear from you!! I loved this post on Baby Doll and your sheep! It surely is so relieving to you to know your animals are safe and happy! We would like to downsize but I cannot stand the thought of someone mistreating our animals so we continue to have them all. We both enjoy them but my hubby and I have not taken a vacation for about 7 years now because we don't have anyone to tend to them while we're gone. I'm turning 50 this year so I told him we're going to celebrate somewhere else!LOL! Looks like you had great Christmas!!Our snow is all melted now we have MUD! Happy New Year to you and your family in 2011! Give Apache a pat from me!
So happy to hear that Baby Doll is doing so good. And it is nice that her new owners care enough to take the time to send you an update. To me that is proof that they are good folks and she is in good hands. Since I am having to think about rehoming one of my horses it gives me hope that maybe I can find him a good home too.
Been COLD here is Las Cruces too. We even had snow for about 15 minutes. That was more than enough for me!
Happy New Year!
Doesn't it just make you smile when you know other people can care for "your" animals as well as you did when they were really "yours"? And a big sigh, too.
Happy New Year!
Very nice, it looks like all your old friends are in good hands!
Ranchman John is working Alb? I don't know that! How wonderful. I must have missed some posts.
Weather-wise, same here, you can snow ski up here, drop off the mountain a bit, and go golfing. Do you have ski resorts around there?
It might help you to know that my philosphy is as follows. All the animals in my life are here to teach me some kind of lesson. Once the lesson is learned they are able to move on and teach someone else. Sometimes I don't learn the lessons so well, sometimes I do, sometimes I learn the lesson so well that my reward to to give them a forever home.
What ever you believe- I know you did the right thing for your animals- they all are in loving and wonderful homes.
And our lessons go on... and we can look forward to many more happy relationships...equine and otherwise!
Apache looks so beautiful in the snow :)
I am so glad to hear that your re-homed animals are all doing so well. Good to know that Baby Doll is being kept busy!
Happy New Year to you and your family.
It sounds like you did right by Baby Doll. Good on you and good for her.
So glad Babydoll has a new home and they love her there!! Makes getting rid of her a little easier even if you still miss her.
Happy New Year and cant wait to hear whats going on in your life in 2011 :)
Glad to hear that all of the animals are doing well.
Sweet baby lamb! Yay! Great news about Baby Doll. What do they call her?
And how did John respond to that snotty person? Did he whip out a picture of your buried ranch? Some people! :)
Post a Comment