Saturday, January 23, 2010

Letting Go of the Rope

 

(This is a very long post, so if you’re ready to sit down and read, be sure to use the potty first, grab a beverage and a snack, too) (The song I chose for this post is by Jennifer Hanson: “Beautiful Goodbye”, followed by Nickelback: “Far Away”)

IMG_5179[5]

“There are times when we are dealing with horses and/or people and life in general, that things just go wrong in a hurry. And while we are taught to be determined, and ‘stay the course’, if it is putting us in danger of being hurt, it is ok sometimes to just ‘let go of the rope’. Take a second to regroup and either try again, or in some cases move on.“

~ Quote by Fern Valley Appaloosas

 

For me, it was time to move on……………….

I did have a close bond with my mare. We had been through a lot together, both good and very, very bad. I was familiar with her and knew the worst that she would do. That should have made me feel safer, but it didn’t.
I realized that she could hurt me and I knew she could be unpredictable and spooky. And I was aware that Baby Doll demanded a very strong, confidant leader because of how
how stubborn, independent and how much of an alpha mare she was.

IMG_3013[13] 

I finally admitted that I was not able to be the alpha that she needed and demanded.

Even though she has taught me a lot in the 2 years that I owned her, Baby Doll was my first horse.  She was supposed to be my Forever Horse. But she was a challenge I think I knew, from the very start, that I was not cut out for.

IMG_5103[6]

Many emotions were moving through me the day that I sat up on her back again, the day after Christmas, a year after I fell off of her and severed my ACL.

The biggest emotion I felt was relief. I had conquered my fear and had got back up on the horse that seriously injured me, not once, but twice. I also felt satisfied.

I didn’t have any desire to get back up on her again. I knew in my heart I could never fully trust her again. I was finished and felt complete.

I had come to the realization that Baby Doll had the power to cause me to quit riding horses forever. Between the physical injuries, the emotional scarring, the loss of self-confidence and the the fear of her hurting me yet again, I had no desire to ride her anymore.

IMG_4012[32]

 

My mare and I had come full circle together. I fell in love with her as we bonded in the beginning, but then after the multiple injuries caused by her, I wanted Baby Doll gone and could barely stand the sight of her. And finally, in the end, we had re-built that bond and affection for one another again.

IMG_3317[10]

Which only made it so much harder to say goodbye.

IMG_3347[13] 

But maybe that's the way it was supposed to be.

IMG_3526[6]

 

She was and always will be my ‘heart’ horse and I love her so much it hurts deeply to the center of my core, and I've cried oceans of tears over giving her up.  But, she caused me too much sadness, frustration and pain.

I finally came to the realization that I'm not the only person who can provide a good home for my horse. And I understand now that it was selfish of me to think that only I could provide the best home for her. Keeping her because I love her, and didn’t want to give her up was not in my mare’s best interests. She deserved more than that.

IMG_5386[6]

 

 

A blog post over at Mugwump Chronicles ~" Do we love them too much" really struck a  chord with me and helped me to finally move forward.

Baby Doll requires a confidant, strong alpha to ride her and I knew I could not be that kind of rider for her. It hurts to admit that, but the truth often does.....

IMG_5854[6]

 

 

Baby Doll knew how to act to scare me and other riders so she could get out of working. She wasn't a mean horse and never tried to purposefully throw me off. She just did little things, like the crow-hops, head tossing, ears pinned, jigging, spinning, etc. Quite a few people warned me or showed concern that Baby Doll was probably not the best horse for me, but it wasn’t until this past year, that I finally realized and accepted that it was true.

IMG_5415[6]

 

Some people tried to be helpful and gave me lots of great advice over the past 2 years, and sometimes conflicting advice. I think some folks just expected me to fix something that was way over my head and that I just didn’t have the experience to fix. It's like giving someone a book on brain surgery and telling them, that after they’ve read it, to go ahead and attempt to operate on a brain. Ummmm, it would not be pretty.

I had my mare listed for sale a number of times over the past year, and I had many inquiries and a number of people ride her, but none seemed to be the perfect fit.  I had Baby Doll checked out and she was healthy, strong and had no serious issues except a little mild arthritis in her right hock. She had no cataracts, no pain, no ribs out, and didn't require any chiro adjustments, though she did receive a nice equine massage. Her teeth didn’t even have any sharp points.  Baby Doll was in good condition and all the saddles we tried on her fit well, too.

IMG_76155

Last Thursday, a young married couple, B & T, came over to meet Baby Doll and possibly buy her for the husband, T. The wife, B, has been riding since she was in diapers and had been active in 4H, rodeo, and reining events. The husband, T, has been riding for over 4 years and works at a cattle ranch every summer. They both attend college in Portales, NM though they call Texas their home.

(This photo is from the vet clinic after Baby Doll passed her Vet Check. This is the last photo I took of her. She was very tired as it had been a busy day. But she still had a 3 hour ride in the trailer to get to her new home that night)

IMG_7322

B has her reining horse mare to ride and T had been riding their 24 year old gelding, but he was getting too arthritic to even load into the trailer and became too tired on the trails.

I felt good that Baby Doll might end up as a ‘Husband Horse’ because she had always done better when Ranchman John rode her and she seemed to respect men more than women, too. In fact Ranchman John had wanted to keep Baby Doll as his horse, but he’s just too busy to ride and in two years had only ridden her twice.  He loves having horses around, but his focus isn’t on learning how to ride, like T’s focus is.

IMG_7312


When the young couple showed up on Thursday, I made sure they knew that Baby Doll had not been ridden for over 7 months and she had gotten spoiled and lazy and tended to be barn sour. B had no issues with having to give Baby Doll a tune-up and put her back to work if they bought her.

IMG_7303

When the husband and wife each first got up on Baby Doll, she tried her usual tricks: the belligerent head tossing, pissy pinned ears and the defiant crow-hops and then tried to pull them to the barn so she could convince them to dismount. But I was impressed. They had her number and weren't impressed or intimidated by her attitude at all. They rode her with experience and confidence and within 20 minutes Baby Doll gave in and cooperated. It was beautiful. 

I also liked that they were happy to try Baby Doll’s Dr. Cook’s Bitless Bridle after realizing that she wasn’t able to relax in the snaffle bit. They were already planning on buying a new Dr. Cook’s Bitless Bridle for Baby Doll once they got her home, too.

IMG_7309

I was also touched to see T give Baby Doll a hug several times on both Thursday and Saturday. Both B & T spent some time grooming her and getting to know her, too.

(This photo is from the vet clinic. T was so excited to put the new black halter on Baby Doll that he had bought her.)

IMG_7320

They drove the 3 hours back down to Portales that night, but called me the next day to say they really liked Baby Doll and wanted to come back on Saturday to ride her again and have her full vet check completed on Saturday afternoon.

It was really muddy around here, the boot-sucking kind, but I let them take Baby Doll out on some back roads and trails around our house and they walked, trotted and loped her all over the place.

IMG_7305

She tried some more of her defiant tricks a few times, but they were in vain. T just made her work harder. He had already fallen in love with my mare and I could already see a relationship forming between them. I felt sad, but also relieved and happy. It was rather bittersweet, actually.

And he loved her spunky attitude, too. When Baby Doll tried to run off with him, he laughed and made her run faster. It was just what Baby Doll needs. I would have probably taken her back home had she pulled the same thing with me, especially after my injuries that she caused.

(A photo from the vet clinic, just before we unloaded her to go through her Vet Check)

IMG_7314


I had to wait a year to find the best home to sell my mare to, and I ended up taking a big loss in the sale, but knowing that she's in a situation that’s a better fit for her is worth that loss.


I’ve been wanting to blog about this all week, but I’ve just been too sad and the words just wouldn’t come out. I’m still finding it difficult to go up to the barn and take care of my other animals right now. Without Baby Doll or any horses up there, it's just a sad place to be. Thankfully John has taken over that job for now. I think I've got a case of  'empty barn syndrome' .

IMG_5230[12]

As for Rosie, she’s not for sale. My friend Colleen uses her for her trail riding business, and as everyone knows it’s not easy to find a calm, gentle, forgiving, patient horse that anyone can ride. So, yes Rosie is worth her weight in gold.

I do want to find a horse similar to Rosie, though. Rosie made me realize that I never really felt safe or confidant on Baby Doll and because of her I had almost lost my joy of riding.

Riding is supposed to be enjoyable, and I've had lots of fun riding Rosie. She’s so intuitive that she actually seems to know just how much energy to give you and what you're ready for. I remember the first time I asked her to trot. She hesitated and seemed to be asking me, "Are you sure you're ready?" And when I clucked a second time, off she went, slowly and in a controlled manner.

Baby Doll never did that. She took off in a trot like a crazy camel and jack-hammered her front end until my back and neck ached. I never had fun trotting Baby Doll. In fact I never knew that trotting or loping could be fun at all. All the horses I've ridden in the past have been ranch, rental horses or friend's horses and we usually just walked down a trail. Rosie made me realize that riding faster can be fun, and I’m looking forward to more!

(This photo is from the clinic from two weekends ago. Rosie and I are the third horse and rider from the left)

IMG_7287

But I will always have a special place in my heart for my beautiful Baby Doll. I will be keeping in touch with her new owners and hope to visit Baby Doll this summer. I’m glad that she has a new beginning for her life and I have faith that B &T will dote on her and take good care of her while being consistent and firm and providing her the best life any horse could ever ask for.

But I sure will miss her, just the same……..

IMG_5945fixed

 




65 comments :

StefRobrts said...

I'm sure that was a terrible hard decision to make, but sometimes you have to do what's best for the animal, and I think it was best for you too. I'm looking forward to enjoying more of your riding adventures when you get a horse who matches up with you better. There's no reason to beat yourself over a relationship that just didn't work out. Sounds like a happy ending for BD though.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this post, I know it was hard, but months from now you will look back on what you wrote here, remember how you felt and realize that time does put things into perspective. Now you can take your time and look for the right fit horse. I never posted about it because it was too painful for me to do but on the night before this past Christmas Eve my beautiful Arabian mare Jasmine (my heart horse) got a case of colic and died. I was on my way home from working a 12 hour shift at the hospital. There was nothing I could have done, all I could do was cry. Today I am up early, my farrier has convinced me to come ride a buckskin paint he thinks I might like. I am reluctant and sad but fear that if I don't get out and get excited by another horse I may stop riding forever. Good luck with your search you have a lot more knowledge to take with you this time. I too got my first horse only a few years ago as soon as I became a nurse and could afford or at least pretend to afford to own one.

Danielle Barlow said...

What a brave, brave decision to take, and I can imagine how much this has wrenched your heart.
I hope that once you have healed a little from this that you can find a special horse to really enjoy riding. Take care :)

Unknown said...

So many things I want to say here, I previously wrote a long well thought out reply only to have it disapear into the ethers of the internet without posting.

First, perfect song choice!!
Second, as painful as this time is it will all look right in retrospect someday.
I never posted anything about it because it was too painful to even go into but this past Christmas Eve I lost my beautiful Arabian Mare Jasmine ( my heart horse) to colic. She died before I could get home from work and all I could do was cry. Its like losing a friend.

I hope now you can take your time and find the perfect fit of a horse, there are plenty of them out there and I agree worth thier weight in gold.

Happy trials! I am off to go ride with a friend.

colleen said...

I'm so proud of you Lisa..I'm also sad for you, and excited at the new possibilities for both you and Baby Doll..T seems like the kind of rider she needs. As for Rosie. There are others out there just like her. Put the word out with all your horsey friends to keep and eye out for one, and look, look, look. Don't give up. They are so worth it.

You did the right thing by giving Baby Doll what she needs. It doesn't make it hurt any less but in the end you will both be happier I think. Love to you girl!

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you did the right thing, both for her and for you - although it's very hard. Thanks for sharing - and sending good thoughts!

Spring Lake Farm said...

Lisa - I'm very sorry as I know this has been a difficult week for you. It's always refreshing to see someone step back and be really honest with themselves. The personal growth that result will help you through other challenges in life that you are likely to face. Give yourself some time to mourn and then get back out to your other animals! I know that you will find some solace in their company.

Thanks for sharing your story. It had a very important message. One that is good for everyone, especially me, to hear!

I can't wait to follow along on your journey as you look for another horse to share your life with!!!!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Good-bye Baby Doll. She will be so happy with the young couple, and she will have lots of fun. :) I did the right thing Lisa, although I know how hard is was. I had to give up my horse when I was a little girl and I cried for days.

Mikey said...

Oh my gosh. You did it. You actually sold her! And kudos to you for finding the right people for her. They look like the perfect fit. I had a good laugh when you said how she tried to run off, so he made her run faster. I bet that made her think "What in the heck?". Sounds like the perfect thing happened.
And yes, riding should be fun. You've done the right thing, and there will be a horse that comes along that's just right for you. You'll know it when you see it, or ride it, lol.
Hugs to you girl! I know it's a tough time.

Gail said...

lISA, My heart goes out to you! I am sure it was the toughest decision you have ever had to make. It feels right to me, as if I matter...

Maybe your trainer can keep an eye out for the right horse for you.

I am so glad Baby Doll will be in a loving and caring home.

You know when you pull a bad tooth, you still miss it.

Leah Fry said...

I know how much you love that mare and how hard it had to be to let her go, but it sounds like that was the right thing to do for both of you.

I'm excited for what's ahead for you. I know you'll find your Rosie.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Wonderful post full of love, bravery, and wisdom. Most horse people have been in this position, loving a horse that just isn't the right riding partner. It is hard facing that reality and making a choice that is right for the horse and the rider. You have done a grand job explaining this for those riders who haven't been there yet.
Somewhere out there is the partner you are looking for. They seem to turn up when you least expect them and in the oddest places. I hope until that happens your life is filled with wonderful horses that you can ride.
Take care

Mrs. Mom said...

Amen Lisa.

Hard, hard decision, but.. best all around. I'm thankful that her new folks came along for you.

Much love from our corner-- I know all too well of where you sit right now.

jacksonsgrrl said...

Lisa- OH I am SO happy you found such great new parents for BD! I knew you would when I heard you had sold her. They look perfect, and BD will have a job which every horse needs. Purpose, not just a pasture pony. Pasture ponies when they retire or have an injury that makes them unrideable. It took a lot of soul searching and nerve to let her go, I know from being a reader. And it takes guts in and of itself to admit that you were simply overhorsed and that b/c of that you will never be able to ride her. I'm glad you did what you did. You say you took a loss on her. I say, "Who cares?" We all need money, but to me the peace of mind you have from finding a forever home for her is worth any amount of money. I'd do the same, and so would any loving horse owner. Bittersweet, going to the barn it sounds like. Smile, knowing you have taken the unselfish route and done the very best you could for your horse.....
~Mindy

Laura said...

Well, bittersweet seems to be the best word to describe all of this, doesn't it?

I'm sorry you had to sell Baby Doll, but her new family sounds like a good fit.

I hope you can move on and maybe find a new horse that is more in line with your ability and goals. I had to do a similar thing with my old horse Jackson - it isn't easy, but big decisions never are, it seems.

Hang in there, my friend... :-)

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, Lisa...I'm just a puddle of tears right now! I know how hard this was for you. But, it seems Baby Doll has a man in her life now that will keep her in line and can deal with her..."quirks". My thoughts will be with you today and I hope that, in the future, you will find a horse like Rosie!

Carla said...

Oh honey! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I could have written this post. It is sooo hard to let go of the rope.
I'm proud of you for deciding that you didn't want to give up riding, and that BD was making you feel that way. I was trapped by my horse as well.

This post and the pictures will assure you that BD is in the perfect home. She's a strong-willed girl and she needs an alpha. T. looks like the one to do it.

Hugs, hugs, hugs. It will get better. Don't be hard on yourself at all. You tried, but were wise enough to see what needed to be done.

Shirley said...

As the bard said, parting is such sweet sorrow. Knowing that Baby Doll is now going to fulfill her potential and purpose in life is the sweet part. I love the quote from Sherry, she is a wise woman. I know that you have a huge support group, and that you will find another horse to love and enjoy those wonderful moments with. I really hope that you find one that you can bond with the way I have with Beamer. BIG hugs, Lisa!

Sarah said...

Letting go of her I am sure was really hard. I went through the same thing (kind of) a number of years ago. It was heart breaking, but also a relief. And it sounds like it is a winning situation for both you and Baby Doll! I hope that when you are ready to search for your next horse, the perfect one will be there waiting for you.

Patrinas Pencil said...

Over the rainbow - a promise of a new day!
Lisa, girl, you did a marvelous job pening this emotional decision. I am so full of ehugs for you. You are in a good place. Sadness and all! Your inner strength has triumped over your fear, and your sadness is healthy. The knowledge and wisdom you've gained while continuing to love and work with BD, will carry you gracefully and heartfully into your next horizon.

These are beautiful captures of Baby Doll. And T looks like he's in love. He looks great on BD! I wish and pray the best for them and BD. I pray that that special - fantastic bond taht you had with BD on the ground, will transfer to another "heart" horse that will love to carry you safely and confidently where ever you desisre to ride. May your barn not stay empty too long. But just long enough to grieve the loss of BD. Rememeber, you can always visit her, how sweet is that! She is not gone - she just changed barns! I pray new life comes to your barn in a very unexpected way - may it bring a new meaning to "forever".

{{{ehugs}}}}

Patrina <")>><

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Lisa,
I'm sure letting her go was bittersweet. You loved her very much. However, you know that she wansn't right for you and now she's got a good home. That's most important. It was the right decision.

If you want to talk, you have my number.

Christy said...

Lisa, I know how tough this has been for you! While you don't need anyone elses approval, I think you made the right decision. I know the right horse is out there for you and you will find it one day.

Unknown said...

I had a feeling a wile ago that you were going to make this post.
Babydoll and Indigo are a lot alike. She will pull some crap but isn't barn sour. She can be unpredictable when it comes to spooking but other than that I know she would never hurt me in any way other than my body hitting the ground, which has only happened twice *knock on wood*
I am glad you have found a good home for her. I know I could never, ever find a home for Indigo or the others and I know some people who take such excellent care of their horses. I would just miss them too much, especially the ones born and raised here.
Your such a strong person for doing this.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I am so glad you found her the perfect home! I feel your pain, I had to sell my first horse too, a mare I had bonded very strongly with. You'll always love Baby Doll, but when you find the right horse and your horizons open up as to what you can get out and do, you are going to be so happy.

small farm girl said...

I didn't want to tell you to find a different horse when I heard all of the problems you had with her. But, I'm glad you figured it out on your own. It's hard selling your beloved horse. I know, I sold mind when I moved. But, I know now that you have an empty stall, you have room to finally find the perfect match. One that will give you confedence and pleasure when you ride them. One that will be happy to see you and not turn around and move from you when you come into the barn. Don't think of it as losing a friend, think of it as creating an opening for a new exciting experience.

Good luck in finding that perfect horse. Now we both can go on this journey together.

Sherri

Jocelyn said...

I am so proud of you, and a firm confident no BS hand is exactly what she needs.

You fill find another heart horse I just know it !

Selling Star someday is going to be awful and yet I know she belongs to another girl to be her dream pony.

Alison said...

It's been a long year for you, huh? Congratulations on a successful conclusion to a difficult problem. I have faith your barn will eventually house a horse better than you ever dreamed. And Baby Doll will always be yours, too.

Anna Larson said...

saying good bye is hard but sometimes it's for the best. Good luck with your search for a more compatible horse.

EvenSong said...

As you say: bittersweet!

I had only just gone back and read last year's postings about your accident. I can relate, as my Maddie dumped me last summer--though no such serious injuries. Even so, she and I have had to work hard to rebuild our trust, and we're still not "there" yet.

It was a hard decision for you, I'm sure, but one that seems to be for the best, for both of you. You waited until the right folks came along, and I think your experience with Rosie helped you realize that you too can move on to a more positive riding experience.

Doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts and wishes for happier trails are with you.

mrscravitz said...

I know that you searched your heart, and found the answer. I also know how hard it was for you, because I have been in that same situation, and if I can't ride Sissy this summer, comfortably and enjoyably, I will most likely be finding a home for her too. It looks as if Baby Doll got a wonderful home, and with someone that knows all her buttons. It will be good for her. My heart is with you, and I hope that soon, you will have a new horse in your barn. One that you will enjoy being around so much, you will never want to stop riding.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Oh Lisa! First I am glad for you that you found a good home for Baby Doll. As hard as it might be ,you did the right thing for both of you . Too bad Rosie isn't available ,but you my friend have a huge network of people to help you find just the right horse for you ...when you are ready.Hugs to you . I am honored that I was able to help in some small way and that you felt what I had to say was worth quoting

Pony Girl said...

Lisa, I want you to know that I had a feeling what this post was about and I did go get my bowl of Lucky Charms and a Kleenex before I read it! This was a great, reflective post, and very hard to write, I'm sure.
Wow, it's hard to believe the little black and white mare won't be in your posts anymore....but in many ways I couldn't be happier with the decision, and, the wonderful new home she has found! It was meant to work out this way. I'm glad they came back and rode her twice, and really pushed her, and knew her silly tricks and still wanted her. I think they will challenge that alpha mare's spunk and put it to good use, and she will be happy with them! How wonderful that you get to keep in touch with her, too.
I think Rosie is the "kind" of horse you are looking for. There is no rush, let your broken heart mend a bit. How exciting though, that if you want us, we all get to go virtual "horse shopping" with you! :) Blessings my dear friend!!
p.s. Love the quote by Fern Valley!!

ChicagoGrrrl said...

what about adopting a horse? like from Shiloh in Las Vegas, NV? Jill seems get horses that are looking for a loving pampered home who are quiet wonderful trail horses. You could give a horse a great home and make a great partnership. I know they have horses that trail packers just dump in the slaughter pens who are lovely and have lots of life left. http://www.shilohhorserescue.com/

cdncowgirl said...

(((hugs)))

I know this was hard for you but I think you did the right thing for you AND for BD.

Sent you an e-mail because there was much to say and didn't want to take too long here.

Gone2theDawgs said...

Ah, Lisa, I have been where you found yourself. Knowing that Baby Doll has gone on to a great home for her will make you feel really good in the future. Hopefully they will keep you posted on how she is doing. I went thru the same thing with my last gelding, it was hard, but the home I let him go to was SOOOO much better than what I could ever offer him (I even tried to get them to adopt me!). Take your time and find your perfect horse, a horse YOU can give a better home to! Hugs! Tammy

DesertHen said...

I can only imagine how hard this post was for you to write, but how theraputic as well. Letting go is never, ever easy, but sometimes that is what we have to do to move forward in our lives. Think of it this way....you were a stepping stone of love on Baby Dolls path of life. You were there for her when someone else might not have been. We purchased a horse once that was a "powder keg" waiting to explode. Only my husband was ever able to ride this horse. He spent several years with my husband and then we decided to sell him. Along came a ranch hand that had lost his best horse a few months before and they clicked like they had been made for each other. But if we had not purchased "Mooch" those two years before, he would have been sent to auction and possibly would have met with a horrible end. So I looked at it as we were the stepping stone in Mooch's life until he was ready to move on. T is going to love Baby Doll and you will have comfort in knowing that. Now someone out there is the stepping stone for a horse that is ready to find you and I believe in a very short while you will find each other!! (((HUGS))) to you dear Lisa!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I can appreciate your mixed feelings. You and Breathe are both looking for a horse who can take care of you in exchange for you taking care of it. With all we do for our horses, incessant sassing can get old and make us horse sour. Of course, though you took a loss on the sale, you are saving on maintenance costs until you find the right horse for you.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I certainly understand your grief Lisa, however, you know BabyDoll is going to a good home. I had a "BabyDoll" too but she was just too much horse for me. I didn't grow up with horses so don't have the experience that I needed for my Paint mare. Although, I LOVE riding, has to be on certain type horse.

You can still trail ride Rosie when you want to can't ya? Maybe not soon, but you'll have a good horse in your barn one day. Take care honey.

Lori Skoog said...

Lisa...obviously you have been agonizing over this for a long time. I give you a lot of credit for doing what was best for you and Baby Doll.
I am such a mush! Anything I get is forever...I get so attached. Now, your other animals really do need you and they will get you through this.
What you did was not easy...You are a very strong and thoughtful person.

So is Rosie your horse too? And did you enjoy that clinic?

Crystal said...

Aww Lisa, its so hard to part with them when you get to love them, even when you know its better off for her and you.

I know theres a perfect horse for you out there and you will find it too.

Paint Girl said...

I think you did the right thing, Lisa. I am so glad you found her the right kind of people to buy her. It sounds like they are good people and are a very good match for her personality!! I am sure you will update us when you see her this summer!
I know this had to be so hard for you. I probably couldn't do it. You have been so strong throughout all of this.
I know there is the perfect horse out there for you, and I can't wait to see your next horse!!

Dan and Betty said...

Well done, friend. You and Betty can share a lot of similar experiences. There's a horse out there for you -- just take your time to find him.

Dan

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

oh, you made me cry.
very strong of you to realize what you had to do, and make the decision to do it. sounds like you were around Baby Doll for this time to find her this good home, and she was here to teach you what you needed to learn.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Unknown said...

Lisa,

I'm thrilled you didn't just sell BD, you found her a home where she can be loved on and ridden by someone who can handle her stuff.

The right horse is out there. Hang in there and enjoy the horses that come your way...

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

Oh Lisa. That was a hard choice you made. I don't even know what to say. My heart hurts for you.

allhorsestuff said...

I actually made it through the entire post...till that last rainbow pic- and just bawled!

I am so happy about who you chose and that you are completely at peace with how they will love her. The photo's of him with her...such a story in the making and I too am at peace.
Hard, terribly hard thing you have done and a piece your your heart went with your lovely Paint mare.I am confident that not too much time will pass before you have a horse to love and truly trust and bond with.
I read someone's comment..."enjoy the process"...YES, what an adventure of horses there is to come now!
Praying for you and looking forward to the journey Liss!
XOXO
Kac

Kateri said...

What a bitter sweet sweet story. I'm really glad she went to a home where she will be loved and ridden as she should be, but how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved animal.

Janice said...

Well Lisa as much as I knew this was coming I'm still sad for you. I'm happy for Baby Doll though it looks like T has already bonded with her. I'm very impressed by your determination to stick with her and find her a good home.You might not think so right now but there is a horse out there right now with your name written all over it.

Victoria Cummings said...

Lisa- What a journey you and Babydoll have been on together, and my heart goes out to you now. I'm sure it must be very empty in the barn. How wonderful that you were able to find people who understood her and fell in love with her. I know it's hard now, but things have a way of working out. Maybe you'll look back and go, oh yeah, that's why this had to happen so the next part of this story could unfold. We'll be here with you waiting to share it.

Callie said...

Live and learn, Lisa, I've been there, done that myself and it's a difficult decision to make, but one I'm sure you'll get through and you will find that horse that keeps your confindence and you trust. And that trusts you. One thing I have learned , even with a new trust worhty horse like Rosie, it still requires some time to build it. Good luck. Glad she went to a good home. Hope you can find a "Rosie".

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, what a hard thing to have to do. Having a relationship with a horse is kind of like a marriage, if the two aren't well suited then it's time to separate. Your heart must have been breaking writing this post, it takes a strong person to come to this decision. So glad that you found just the right people to take BD and give her a good home.
I hope that a Rosie horse comes along your way soon. You need a horse like her in your life. Give yourself time to heal; your new horse will "find" you.
hugs.....
Jane

CTG Ponies said...

I commend you for waiting to find just the right new owners for Baby Doll and recognizing that she wasn't the best horse for you. It sounds like her new owners are just what she needs and you were honest enough with yourself to admit that she wasn't the best match for you. You'll never forget her and I'm sure she will never forget you. But you will find another horse that brings back the pure joy of riding. Hang in there, kiddo, it does get easier.

gtyyup said...

Lisa~It's a wonderful ending to a situation that was so difficult to cope with. As heart wrenching as it was, I can hear your relief and the joy you have for Baby Doll finding the right home in your words...

Your horse life will continue as you start a new adventure!

Celeste said...

Oh Lisa you are so brave! Well done, I think you have made the best descision all round. It sounds as though Baby Doll and her new owners are a great match and although it will hurt like hell for a while you know in your heart of hearts it was for the best. Mares are funny old things, I had more issues with mares in my 20+ years of riding than I ever did with geldings. You should try a few gelding before you make a final descision, they are generally much more obliging and mellow. I know you will find a new special equine friend when the time is right.

KD said...

Dear Lisa, I'm so glad that the "right" people finally showed up for BD. The right horse will present itself to you too and you will be ready for it. {{BIG HUG}}

Rural Writer said...

Sometimes making the right decision is really difficult, but it sure sounds like you made the right choice for both you and Baby Doll. Hugs and wishes for the right horse to come your way.

Unknown said...

Lisa,
I have been following your journey with your mare...I am so glad it ended so well! I owned a mustang mare for 22 years and I never was able to trust another horse after her, as I also got hurt trying another one. I have since gotten bad arthritis and I am learning to drive Haflingers. It is a blast! I have also gotten on top of one, and after 14 years of not riding it was unreal! But I still worry the whole time I am up there....so my very dear friend is teaching me how to drive. It is a little safer, if you have a Rosie, but as you well know horse are dangerous....and now that I am over 55 I don't heal so quick. So know that I am glad to see you have moved on and so has Baby Doll...I think the husband is perfect for her! Hold her in your heart....she can live there forever! Your friend who rides...Sandy

The Wades said...

I'm so happy/sad for you! What news. I'm with you, BD will be so well off. I love it that he could control her with so much confidence. That has to make you happy for both of them.

I love Portales people. I lived there for several years.

Tammy Vasa said...

Boy, when I miss a few days - I seem to miss the BIG days! (My office at home is still under construction!!)

Wow. You did it. You put your big girl pants on and made the best decision for you and for your mare. You searched until you found the right home and although it hurts like hell, you have to be proud of your decision to not give up on your dream and pick up the pieces and move on.

I'm proud of you.

I wish you were closer because I know of a Rosie type horse for sale...

I wish you the best of luck & look forward to you sharing your horse future with us!

Desert Rose said...

you were right...I did miss this post...it must have been when I was up north getting Toby to come down here for a week. I have a grandchild overnight each day I was there including the 8 and 13 month old baby girls. I did not have much time for the blog.
Wow, what a terrible decision for you to have to process. You gave it tremendous thought and have great insight to exactly what all the issues were. It was great to see Baby Doll's new owners so attached already and to know that she won't be able to hurt them becuase of their skill and ability.
My 1st horse George was teriffic for 4 years...not one issue. Then we started to take him to the desert and he bagan to spook, bolt, rear, you name it out on the trail with me and even trainers. he was NOT a city horse! however I kept him for 5 more years scared to death everytime I rode of what would happen this time. I too almost gave up riding because of my anxiety and fear. George dies at the age of 19 from a broken leg due to a pasture kick. This sent me into a physical and emtional breakdown that lasted seveal years. We got Jesse as a baby so there were a few issues there also. I told my husband that If I could not ride unafraid in the next year...I was goign to sell Jesse and stop riding. Fortunately I had Cowboy H in my life at that time and with his help and encouragemnt...I was able to surpass where I was before. I still get some angst from time to time...but it is truely my life's passion and I am so grateful that I was able to come back to it fully...as I know you are working towards now my friend!!!

Katharine Swan said...

Lisa, I've been thinking a lot about what passed between us a while back, and when I saw your comment about selling Baby Doll on Kate's blog, it seemed like a sign that now was the time to speak up.

I obviously did you a huge disservice when I criticized you for wanting to sell BD. You took the time to find her a good home; you knew what she needed and made sure to find it.

I am so sorry for the hurtful things I said back then. I misjudged you, and you have proven that with many of your posts since then. You did the right thing by BD, and she was lucky to have you.

Farmer Jen said...

I just got around to reading this post. (I am very behind in my reading) Very heartfelt post Lisa. You share your feelings so bravely and genuinely. You did the best thing for both Baby Doll and you. Seems like her new owners will work out well and this frees your energy to attract what/who you need in your life right now. Be at peace in your heart.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Where have I been..off in la la land I guess.. I totally missed this post. It is sad, but a good sad I think..a moving on sad..both for you and Baby Doll. I am sorry it did not work out..I do hope you find your special horse soon:)

flowerweaver said...

I'm just catching up and this post made me cry. I know how hard this has been for you. But I also know, like you do, that sometimes happy endings don't turn out like we expect them to. Baby Doll looks happy with the young man in control, and you will find your forever horse, one that will grow with you. I'm so glad to see you riding again!

Girl Tornado said...

Lisa, I apologize for missing this post. I did not even know that you had finally found a good home for Baby Doll, and truly, it does sound like she found the perfect fit with B and T. Now I understand better why you have been searching for the perfect horse for you. I found it interesting that you said how well you and Baby Doll bonded while you were on the ground, but that it was a different story on her back. I have bonded so well with our paint horse, but he's green broke and hasn't been ridden in at least 3 years! I keep hoping that someday we will have some extra change to send him to a local trainer for a month or so, and then I can ride him. I just hope we don't end up having a similar story with him!

*hugs* girl, I know how difficult this must have been for you, but I'm heartened by your description of the people that bought her, they sound wonderful! :) It would always be my top priority that any of our horses are going to a good home, the final purchase price would have to be secondary to that goal. I think you did good, and I'm sure that Baby Doll is probably happier in her new home, with owners that tell her what's what. LOL