Odd title, isn’t it?
I’ve been thinking about something for the past week. Every time I move on to something else, this subject keeps coming back to me in some way. I suppose I just need to face it, talk about it, then put closure on it.
This may be a controversial post for some, and I wouldn’t be surprised or offended if some of you aren’t interested in my thoughts and leave right now.
No worries.
For those that stick around to read, just know that these are just my thoughts and ponderings on an often talked about subject. I’m interested in knowing what you think, too.
But first be sure to visit the bathroom and grab some refreshments. This promises to be a long ride……..
~~~~~~~~
A couple months ago our Homeschool Group and Girl Scout Troop went on a field trip to the traveling exhibit called Bodies- The Exhibition (click link for more info)when it was in Albuquerque. Have any of you seen this exhibit? It’s truly fascinating and so much more educational than looking at pictures in a biology book. All 3 of my kidlets and myself were mesmerized and spent over 2 hours studying the amazing physiology of the human body.
We even had them take a silly photo of us against a green screen as a keepsake of our day.
Anyway, after the exhibition, time went by, the holidays rolled past, and I forgot about Bodies. Then recently The Tucson Massacre became headline news. The tragedy was shocking and heartbreaking on so many levels, and controversial on so many more.
A lot of the controversy surrounded the gunman, Jared Loughton. Everyone wants to know more about this young man and what drove him to murder innocent people. Is he insane? Did he plan this massacre over many months? Or did he just snap one day? What was his childhood like? Did his parents know their son was bound for trouble? Did they try to help their son? As a parent with two sons of my own, this is something I wonder about. I wish I could sit down with Jared’s parents and ask them if there were any signs that their son was steadily falling off the deep end.
As someone with a Mother who committed suicide, I wonder if there was anything that could have been done to help Jared before he caused such terrible mayhem in this world. Because of my own personal tragedy, I also think about the choice that Jared made. It’s one thing to kill yourself, but it’s completely different when you decide to kill someone else. What is obvious is that both are extremely selfish acts, because they affect so many people in such a heart-wrenching, long lasting way.
Because of what my own Mother did and how it has affected me throughout my entire life, I’ve always searched for definitive answers as to why some people choose these kinds of paths in their lives. Some studies say that these people just become overwhelmed with life and see no other way out. I can understand that, to a point. But I tend to see life as the glass is half-full and live my life with the “Little Orphan Annie” mind set:
The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!
Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh,The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!
No matter how bad today is, tomorrow is a new day filled with new opportunities to take your life in a different more positive direction. But I suppose there are some deeply troubled individuals that can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, and they only see one path to take, and it’s never a good one.
~~~~~
Anyway, another controversy about the Tucson Massacre involves the public’s easy access to guns, namely guns that are able to quickly fire more than 10 rounds of ammo. Personally I don’t want to get into a whole Second Amendment argument because that’s not the issue here. The issue is if not allowing the public access to guns that can cause a massacre, would have made a difference in the Tucson shooting. I don’t think so. In Tucson, only 6 people were killed. That leaves 4 more that could have been killed, if that new ruling goes into affect. It’s a silly ruling, imo. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.
There are a thousand different tools that people can use to commit a mass murder massacre, without even having to pick up a gun. Throughout history we have seen this, as in New York City on 9/11, in Oklahoma City, and with Biological warfare, like Anthrax. If you think about it, Jared could have probably killed more people in that Tucson shopping center just by renting a moving truck and revving it straight through that crowd of people.
~~~~~~~~~
So, you’re probably wondering then, why the Bodies title for my post? Is it just to do with the Bodies Exhibition?
Well, sort of. It was just the catalyst that got me thinking and pondering about many different, but related subjects.
You see, a couple days ago, I completed stitching all of my daughter’s girl scout patches on her Daisy Vest. One of those stood out glaringly above all others.
I’m sure you figured out which one. I don’t know what I’d expect them to create, but it would have been nice had they made the patch a little more colorful, and maybe not so big.
But that patch spoke to me (not in the literal sense, of course), and it made me think and think some more. It caused me to do more research, too. I tend to be a deep thinker anyway, but this subject really made me delve deeper still.
But I won’t bore you with a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo.
Instead I will ask you what you think about the idea that what we feed our brains affects who we are and who we become. And this includes TV, movies, books, video games, and music….especially music. Do you believe music can affect our moods, our desires, our interests, and even our personality? Do you believe the music we listen to says something about who we are?
I often tell my kidlets that what they expose themselves to can affect their innocence, their outlook on the world, their opinions, and their choices in life. I encourage them to question everything that they are considering watching, reading, playing, and listening to. I want them to experience the world without being negatively influenced by all of it’s evils.
Have you had the opportunity to watch this video? Be prepared. It may give you chills.
(Note: You’ll want to turn off my PlayList Music at the bottom of this page. Just click the round button in the center of the Playlist widget)
This was on Jared Loughton’s You Tube Channel’s favorite list. It is believed that Jared made this himself, and may even be the creepo wearing the hoody and trash bag skirt.
Did you notice that song?
It is sung by a group called Drowning Pool. Here is their music video. I suggest you watch it.
Do you find it as interesting as I do, that Jared chose this song, especially in light of the Tucson Massacre?
What bothers me about this song (besides the obvious) is the band’s statement and claims about this song, after what happened in Tucson:
“We were devastated this weekend to learn of the tragic events that occurred in Arizona and that our music has been misinterpreted. 'Bodies' was written about the brotherhood of the moshpit and was never about violence." The band also added: "For someone to put out a video misinterpreting a song about a moshpit as fuel for a violent act shows just how sick they really are. We support those who do what they can to keep America safe. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families of this terrible tragedy".
Maybe they really do believe that the song is all about the brotherhood of the moshpit, but from someone who dated a hardcore California punk rocker in my teen years, and who did my own floatin’ in a moshpit or two (or three), I don’t agree.
Do these lyrics sound like they’re preaching “brotherhood” and non-violence?
Let the bodies hit the floor(x4)
Beaten why for (why for)
Can't take much more
Here we go!
Here we go!
Here we go!
One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me
One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now
Let the bodies hit the floor(x6)
Now!
Push me again
This is the end
Here we go!
Here we go!
Here we go!
One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me
One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now
Let the bodies hit the floor(x6)
Skin against skin blood and bone
You're all by yourself but you're not alone
You wanted in now you're here
Driven by hate
consumed by fear
Let the bodies hit the floor (x4)
One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me
One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now
Let the bodies hit the floor(x6)
How about the video that portrays a person with an obvious case of insanity?
After doing more research, I discovered that Jared’s not the only person who easily “misinterpreted” that song either.
You can do a search for “Bodies Hit the Floor” on You Tube and come up with about a thousand videos…none of them showcasing love and brotherhood. In fact all of them, portray violence. Like this Military Style video:
How does that video make you feel? Did it affect your mood?
Speaking of the military, they seem to have “misinterpreted” the meaning behind this song, too. Have you ever heard of Torture by Music?
Apparently “Let the Bodies Hit the Floor” is a popular song used by the military to get prisoners to ‘talk’.
Music has been used in psychological operations throughout history. The term music torture is sometimes used to describe the practice of playing loud music incessantly to prisoners or people besieged.
A BBC News report claimed that music by band Metallica, and from children's TV programs Barney and Sesame Street, was being used to cause sleep deprivation and culturally offend prisoners.
I found it quite fascinating to read that Steve Benton of the group Drowning Pool had this to say about their song, “Let the Bodies Hit the Floor” being used for Music Torture:
"I take it as an honor to think that perhaps our song could be used to quell another 9/11 attack or something like that."
Ironic that their song may have actually had a part in helping to cause a massacre, instead of quelling it.
~~~~~~~~~~
Apparently, the military and You Tubers aren’t the only ones who have “misinterpreted” their song either. It’s been used in many different ways…none of which extoll non-violence and the virtues of the brotherhood of the moshpit:
Boston Red Sox closing pitcher Jonathan Papelbon while jogging to the mound from the center field bullpen during a Fenway Park game.
By World Wrestling Entertainment: the official theme song for SummerSlam 2001, One Night Stand 2005 and 2006, December to Dismember 2006, and ECW on Sci Fi.
The promo video for the Xtreme Freestyle Alliance (XFA) racing team.
The video game Arena Football.
John 'The Ogre' Koziol was intending to use this song as an entrance theme before the downfall of UWA.
The video game Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear in the Urban Operations addon.
The theatrical trailer for the film The Punisher
The theatrical trailer of horror film Jason X, Friday the 13th series.
The theatrical trailer for the film Daredevil.
The film The One
The TV spot for the film Rambo
The film xXx
Opening song for UFC's Ultimate Knockouts 2
It appears in the 2010 music video game Guitar Hero
Mentioned in the film Fahrenheit 9/11 as a song the troops like to listen to heading into battle.
Promotion for the films Rambo and Stop-Loss.
A United States Marine Corps commercial.
The film Stop Loss
The series finale of the WB's cult show Popular
The HBO television miniseries Generation Kill
The comedy metal band Psychostick made a parody of the song called "I Can Only Count To Four".
According to the Associated Press "Bodies" was a song interrogators used, played at high volume, over and over again, to break the will of captives held in extrajudicial detention.
The entrance song for UFC heavyweight fighter Shane Carwin.
Used as the main music in various YouTube videos of Televangelist Benny Hinn.
The game Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has US troops occasionally shouting "Let the bodies hit the floor!" when an enemy on the opposing team is killed.
The HBO television series True Blood
~~~~~~~~~~~
If you’re still hanging on with me and reading, you deserve a big bowl of dark chocolate M &M’s.
And I’m curious to read your thoughts on all of my ponderings. But the big question is:
Does music have the potential to affect our moods, personality, and even our actions?
23 comments :
Wow Lisa Great Post!
Sorry to hear of your Mom and her troubles that she chose to end her life!
No one will ever really know why he did what he did or what drove him to it.
It's just so tragic all the way around!
I do think that music can have the ability to affect our moods and even our actions, and if you follow the nature vs. nurture ideas, it could influence our personalities as well.
Even music without lyrics can influence our moods, think Pachelbel's Canon, or the Wedding March. Or even, listening to techno music at the gym to get hyped up for the stair stepper.
However, I do feel that if music does have the ability to affect our actions or moods, it is probably an underlying mental problem that causes someone to hear lyrics as instructions for mayhem.
Was sorry to read about your mother's suicide. Sadly, you and I have that in common. And you are right, it does affect you throughout your entire life.
I'm probably not as deep a thinker as you are, but I have always believed that our thoughts affect our attitudes and our attitudes affect our behavior. So, yes I believe what we see, what we read and what we hear can affect our thoughts -- and that assumes we immerse ourselves in a particular venue. If someone continually sees a lot of violence, continually reads a lot about violence and continually hears (songs) about violence then I believe that can affect their thoughts which can affect their attitude (become numb/hard hearted toward violent acts), which can possibly affect their actions. I believe the possibility of violence is aggravated by the lack of moral/spiritual guidance by parents, family, friends, etc.
Well, you asked and those are my thoughts for what little they're worth.
Dan
I have to admit Lisa that I did not read all the rewferences or watch the videos,not because I felt it was boring but because in fact I find myself often very upset and bothered by images of violence and music that seems to lend itself to a darker ,more violent culture. I have never felt the need to act on such feelings ,but I do not like it . I think I understand what you are saying .And I beleive media, and music does have a huge impact on the moods of suseptible individuals.(those who are adversely affected and without the insight to reccognise the effects are to thier detriment) .Prayers for the families of the lost ,duringf this tragedy and others
I do indeed, agree with most of your post. Music is and always has been a most influential force for me and I listen to everything from metal and rap to classical symphonies and singing whales. It can influence my mood for the better on many days and comfort me in knowing that I'm not the only one who feels this bad at another moment. But I do believe to take something, whether it be music or the fodder of a cult leaders' ramblings, and manipulate it outwardly into a crime upon other living beings, is a sign that one has a psychiatric problem. There were probably other signs before the awful shootings in Arizona but for whatever reason they were not noticed. Maybe because when someone is as mentally disturbed as Jared Loughton may be, the signs only mean something if the same person keeps seeing them. It seems to me he did 'leave' signs around but it was different people seeing them. If you see one sign, what do you do? If you see a hundred what do you do? I believe his interpretations of many other things, not just music will tell much more of his short story.
Your post was great! Thanx.
Great thoughts. Of course music has the influence to change peoples and even animals moods. Check it out http://news.discovery.com/animals/monkey-music-sounds-communication.html
First of all, I'm sorry to read about your mother and her sad decision.
Like FV, I didn't watch the videos- no need to clutter my mind with images that I know I won't like. Yes, I believe music affects our minds- especially the songs with negative words. If someone tells you something long enough, you begin to believe it. Children have malleable minds, and that is why there are so many efforts to target children,and form their minds. Home schooling is illegal in some countries because the governments don't want the parents to form their children, they want the control themselves. There are many studies out there about the effect of music, video games etc. on children. I worry about cultures that aim at destroying the family, because that is where morals and values are first taught. Music is just a small part of the problems that face parents.
I really don't think that there is any real easy answer. I think so many things factor into peoples actions. I think the child hoods are the most deciding factor sometimes, rather if its no money, abusive, too much money, no attention, no direction. Plus all the other factors rather its games, music, other people. The mind is so complicated that you just can't figure out what makes a person do what they do. Even you and I can't really tell what makes us do what we do. I am so glad you said what you did about the guns because that is the truth!
I believe everything we see, hear and read affects how we all think about the world whether good or bad. However it is each person's own morals and conscience that allows them to act for evil. Evil has existed way before the inventions that allow us all to see and hear the "trash" out there these days. I have more of an issue with the assalt type weapons/amo available so easily without background checks. Keeping these kinds of waepons out of the hands of nutcases is also important. I am not saying NO GUNS...I have one, but can never imagine a circumstance that I would need to fire 10 rapid shots unless it was to defend myself from attack aginst the same kind of weapon. There are so many arguments for all sides that are worthy...I just hope that a way is found to satisfy all.
You put so much work into this...thanks as always for your insight!
I have been affected by suicide, addiction, mental illness and murder in my immediate and extended family. I read all but the final list of your post and I have to admit, I had a little bit of a hard time. To answer your question, I believe that what you listen to, watch and read definitely affects you. I choose not to watch mean shows or senselessly violent ones. We all make choices, granted mentally ill folks need someone or medication to help them make the right choices if possible. But...sometimes we don't realize they need help till it's too late. I'll stop rambling now, but you started it. :-)
Yes I do think that music affects us. I am so offended by Rap for some reason that I immediatly change the TV channel or leave an area where it is, I dont know why, everyone has their own artistic outlet.
You are right, guns dont kill people, people kill people.
The whole shooting incident is very tragic and disturbing. They always seem to find that the signs where there, after the fact, sad.
I feel lucky to have raised three well adjusted kids, two who have or are serving in the Air Force and the youngest making her way in a positive way, working hard. They are all adults now and making their own descisions.
My almost 26 year old son called me yesterday evening just to see what I thought about an experience he had. He was aproached by two panhandlers in the space of 15 min. while he pumped gas. He was very disturbed by his reaction to them. The first an old man with a cane by the door to the station, the second a young woman who approached him at his car and came way to close for his commfort. He want to talk to me to understand why he reacted that way. I told him I would have reacted the same way, I dont give money to panhandlers and the woman in my space would have really bothered me too. He wants to be a psychologist, it was really interesting to talk to him about this. He is taking classes towards a psychology degree while he is in the service.
LOL now I am rambling! LOL
Very thought provoking post but I'm not so sure you can blame a band's music as the reason for the misguided actions of people. Music is art and cannot be taken as reality. In today's market, violence sells, right or wrong, so many music videos and band lyrics are exceptionally "bad" according to the average person's moral standards. But why is music always considered the contributing factor to misdeeds? Many, many people can enjoy controversial music, myself included, and lead normal lives. At least, I think I do?
Also, at what "sign" can someone actually say, this person is going to flip out and do something bad? The insane asylums aren't around so much anymore since Reagan closed them and threw the crazies out on the streets. Just take a look at the street people. Most of them admit they need and want help but can't get it. Counseling is next to impossible to get for the average person when they do seek it. Also, today's society has an apathetic view on people and their actions unless it crosses the line and becomes outrageously dangerous.
Just my thoughts...
I'm so sorry about your mother. I can't even imagine.
As for that video, that was SUPER CREEPY. It gave me chills, and I was horrified by the flag burning. The whole thing... there aren't words. Disturbing to say the least.
Dan, You may not be a deep thinker, but you are truly very wise. And everything you said makes the most sense of everything I've read and studied on this subject. Thank you so much for sharing. I believe your opinion is worth quite a lot actually.
~Lisa
Sydney,
Thanks for that link. I found it very interesting.
This quote from the article rang true for me, as well:
"If music based on tamarin calls can alter their behavior, then our ancestors would have been able to use similar components of music to influence one another"
Kind of like an "aha" moment, eh?
Thanks again,
~Lisa
Lisa~ I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. That had to be terrible to grow up with that, as a kid you don't understand mental illness and take everything personally, it had to be very tough:(
I must admit that when that song came out I actually liked it. I certainly never thought it was about the mosh pit but never heard any other words than the bodies hit the floor and somethings got to give. I didn't really think it was about killing, though.
I think the sickness starts first and they seek out the dark music, but I do agree that music effects us. I use to listen to harder music when I was young and stopped when I became pregnant, listening to classical music for the babies, lol. Now I can't handle listening to that kind of music, all I can explain is that it makes me jittery and agitated.
My baby sister listens to hard core stuff, Gwar and weird stuff like that, and she is the sweetest most gentle hippy girl you could meet.
I do remember, though, as a teenager being very quiet and shy and no trouble at all, liking country music as well as a group called Toadies (I think) and one of their songs that I liked had some disturbing lyrics but I just like the sound of the music, not the words. The aunt I was living with made such a big deal out of it, as if just because I liked that song I was going to end up being some weirdo. Sometimes I think adult's response drives kids to weirder music than they might ordinarily listen to, and then there are the already weird that search for that twisted music.
Thought provoking post!
Fantastyk Voyage,
I'm not blaming music for the misguided actions for some people, but I do believe that music can contribute to our emotions, moods, and even actions. I think it all depends, on like you and others have said, if the person is affected by mental illness.
That being said, I do respectfully disagree about music only being art and not based in reality. In many cultures, including our own, music is a form of story telling. Just listen to any country song or folk song. Heck even the Beach Boys used music to tell their stories about living as surfers and driving their fancy street rods. Love songs are sung to bring two lovers together who are professing their love for one another. Rap music often tells the very real story of what living on the street is like for gang members.
Tangible art, such as paintings and sculptures invoke feelings and emotions based on the stories they have to tell, and are many times based on historical facts. So why can't music not only be an artform, but also tell a story based in reality as well?
~Lisa
horsemom,
Thanks for the kind and understanding words about my Mom. I do appreciate it. And I must say you made me grin reading your comment. I felt like I could have typed the same words. We really do have a lot in common. :)
~Lisa
Reddunappy,
Rap makes me irritated and fidgety, too. It always sounds so angry. I can feel my blood pressure rise after just a few minutes and then I have to shut it off. lol!
And I've just got to say.....You're not lucky with your kids growing up responsible, respectable, and honorable as they are. They got that way through your excellent parenting. You should be proud of you, because I know the job isn't an easy one. But you've accomplished the job with flying colors.
Your kids are a reflection of your parenting and you've done a terrific job, Mama. Three cheers for you!
And because of that great foundation you helped create, they will keep being successful in life. I admire you. You're an inspiration for all parents.
Please tell your Air Force kids that those of us who are enjoying our freedoms here in the USA, are very proud of them and wish to thank them for their courage, strength and great sacrifice to protect our country.
((((hugs))))
~Lisa
Great post! I completely agree with you on things that affect you.
Absolutely believe that music affects a person, only I use it at work to energize when I'm bored or calm down when I'm stressed or at home to give me something to dance to while I clean. And no way is "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" about a mosh pit or that would have been somehow included in the video. I also agree that additional gun control will not stop murderers. As though not allowing conceal and carry would stop someone like Jared from concealing and carrying?
It's strange that I've been wondering about the parents too, not so much if they saw any signs of what their son was capable of, but how awful and conflicting it must be to have known and loved a child, as you would any baby and young child, and see them change into someone unrecognizable and capable of something so awful.
It is difficult to discuss these things because people have such diverse opinions and can be so polarized. Discussion almost feels risky and it shouldn't.
Is music mood altering? Oh yes, absolutely.
I am so sorry about the loss of your mother - I can't imagine the pain such a choice wrought.
I think music is very powerful, but I also think hate speech is powerful. Whether some people react to it may have more to do with their own condition than with words taken to apply to various ideas.
Is a photo of a target inciting violence? Is a lyric of murder inspiring the same? Is a musical score that drives a sense of rhythmic violence envibing that desire in the listener?
I believe in some these things are an echo of the anguish and hate already within them - an echo that leads, horribly, to an amplified reaction. Or perhaps serves as a sick justification.
Wonderful post.
Post a Comment