Friday, March 4, 2011

Feeling Better…Busy Day Tomorrow

 

Thank you all for the kind words of sympathy, support and advice. It meant so much to me, just knowing I wasn't suffering all alone. xoxo!

I think I survived the worst of what this nasty virus had to throw at me and I’m on the other side of the chaos. I do seem to be getting a little cold sore above my lip, though. I’ve never had one of those before. But at least the vomiting and diarrhea are over, and
I ate my first real meal tonight besides crackers, toast and ginger ale. That was nice.

I think I know how I ended up with this horrible virus, too. On Sunday night Jen and I worked a booth selling Girl Scout cookies at our local grocery store. I usually never forget to use the Clorox Wipes the store provides to sanitize the handles of the carts. And I also keep hand sanitizer in the van that I always use after shopping. But I was in a hurry that night because it was very cold and windy and we were kept busy by the steady sales, which was a very good thing. But I was so busy that I forgot to use the sanitizer on the carts that we used to transport the cookies to the booth from the van, and I didn’t use the sanitizer on my hands afterwards. ugh.

And we all know how germ encrusted grocery cart handles can be.

IMG_8357

Take it from me. Always sanitize or cover the grocery cart handles and never forget to wash or sanitize your hands immediately afterwards. If you forget, you might be very sorry indeed!

But we did manage to sell over 100 boxes of Girl Scout cookies in just two hours. The girls did a terrific job at being friendly, helpful, polite and good little business women. 

IMG_8806

(Yeah, I know my daughter’s tall. She can’t help it. Her Daddy’s 6’2” and her Mama’s just shy of 6’. We grow ‘em big around here)

I still feel super tired and my tummy aches a bit, but I enjoyed taking a little walk up to the barn tonight with Ranchman John and our visitor friend, Robin, from the United Kingdom. I even took my camera along, but I was only able to get one photo before the batteries pooped out on me. Sort of how I felt by the time I got back down to the house after being whipped around by the bitter cold wind. I think Robin enjoyed feeding cookies to the llamas, goats and Apache, though.

IMG_8809

It’s amusing to me to see Robin wearing my barn coat. My hubby wears it, too. That rugged, dependable, super warm coat was my work-issued winter uniform when I used to pump fuel into Mesa Airlines commuter planes on the airport ramp almost 18 years ago.

Anyway, today was rather quiet. I didn’t have to meet anyone to deliver Girl Scout cookies and I was able to get that appointment rescheduled. But tomorrow is not only my daughter’s 8th birthday, but it’s also my twinling son Jax’s very first high school lacrosse game!

He’s been playing lacrosse every year since he was big enough to coordinate the lacrosse stick and run the field at the same time. His Daddy has been his coach or assistant coach most of those years, just as he is this year, too. This is Jax’s second year playing on Sandia Prep’s lacrosse team. But this is his first year playing on the high school level. It’s even a bigger deal because, as most of you all know, he’s home schooled, but Albuquerque has a generous and fair law that allows home schooled kids to sign up and try-out for one sport per year, at the school of their choosing. Jax has been working hard during practices and he’s earned this opportunity, and I just want to say I am so very proud of him whether his team wins or loses…..

0303111657

Of course, I really hope they win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




9 comments :

Mikey said...

Your daughter is tall! People always think Mercy is 9 yrs old (6 now) but I say the same thing, Mama is tall!
Glad you're feeling better, and I TOTALLY know what you're saying about the grocery carts. I came out of Walmart today fishing for my hand sanitizer in my purse. You just know...
When I went to Cavalia, I put my hand on a bleacher railing that was obviously never hosed off. I could feel the crusty on it. I knew... sure enough, next day I had pinkeye, and I KNOW that's where I got it. Never again. I worship the hand sanitizer.
This said, Mercy and Wade are both sick and I'm not, 2nd time in a row. I'm sure I just jinxed myself by saying that, lol.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, and good luck to Jax.

GreyWolf said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better. I wish Jax well in his endevors in sports. I am not familiar with lacrosse as it is not played here in MI. Jen is TALL and I can't believe how much your children have grown.

Cheryl Ann said...

My cousin, Cindy, is 6 feet tall and GORGEOUS even at age 48! You are so right about the shopping carts! I just saw a news feature on that. They wiped them and found fecal matter on 90% of them! ACK! (...shuddering...) We should all buy hand sanitizer!

Jeni said...

Good Luck Jax!!! I never notice how small my children are until I see them with their peers... then i'm surprised.

Very happy you are feeling better =)

DesertHen said...

I was always the tallest girl in my class and I usually towered over most of the boys as well.

Glad you are feeling better! =) I always try to wipe down the handles on the grocery cart and we have the hand sanitizer in the car to use after every visit to the store, etc. Great photo of the giant hand!

Good luck to Jax and the team today! I hope they win too! =)

Louise said...

I'm glad that you're feeling better. There's very little worse than running at both ends. Here's something that you may or may not think is helpful. I got it, indirectly, from my vet, of all people. He told me to use L-lysine the strengthen the immune systems of my cats. Two of them have persistent viral infection problems. It made a difference and I started wondering if, since it's mainly produced for humans, it would help me too.

I started it early last December and haven't had a single cold or virus all winter long. I usually get at least a couple. You can get it, in pill form, at your local drug store.

Dan and Betty said...

Glad you're feeling better. Give yourself time to build your energy back up before getting too busy. It's easy to relapse.

Dan

Gail said...

Sorry, I'm reading backwards. Know you're better and hope your sweet girl is better, too.