Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Going out Like a Lion

 

For us up here in the Central Mountains of New Mexico, March came in like a lamb with beautiful blue skies, sunshine and temperatures above 70F every day.

I enjoyed keeping my windows open all day to let the warm breezes inside. It was heavenly.

But all that changed yesterday. The winds blew in with full force, gusts up to 60 mph. From my bedroom balcony I can gauge the strength of the winds by watching my neighbor’s flags and the way his flagpole bends with the force.

IMG_9164

Yesterday was pretty brutal. The flags never even had a few seconds to furl and rest.

I had some errands to do down in Albuquerque yesterday and was curious to see if the city was also affected by the wind and how much.

I’ve lived in New Mexico for close to 20 years and have never seen the winds so strong as to fill the air with so much brown cloud dust that it completely hides the Sandia and Manzano Mountains from view. I couldn’t even see beyond the city and enjoy the normally expansive views. Mt. Taylor at almost 12,000 ft high, and only 80 miles away near Grants, NM was just a figment of my imagination.

There were times driving through the canyon that I felt that my van might even tip over or I might lose control from the strong gusts.

As many of y’all know we’ve been very dry here.  We haven’t had a lick of rain since last August and only a couple snowfalls all winter. Us folks in New Mexico have been a little envious of some of y’all’s rain and snow, especially since we all fear Fire Season every summer.

Sometime last night I awoke to the pitter patter on our windows and roof, of what seemed like rain. I smiled and fell back to sleep.

But upon waking up, we were disappointed not to see wet ground and water puddles, but instead what appeared to be Dippin Dots.

IMG_9400

IMG_9402

Not even real snow. And it had melted and evaporated soon after I took this photo.

 

Now we’re back to the fierce winds.

IMG_9165

Looks like March is Going Out Like a Lion.  



15 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

That's the West. Winds have been up in Colorado as well. The forecast is for more winds Thursday and Friday after we come home on Wednesday night.

Dan

DesertHen said...

We have had terrible winds here as well! Last week saw gusts up to 65mph! It snowed here yesterday and put down an inch in less than 30 minutes. Then it melted off, the winds picked up and it almost felt like were going to have a thunderstorm! Crazy weather for sure!

Sandy ~~~ said...

Hey...even Dippin' Dots melt to become MOISTURE. Yeah!

baystatebrumby said...

Oh my, it's raining dippity dots!!! A strange but fun weather experience!! March brings all kinds of interesting things!

Kathryn said...

Lisa, we had high winds and snow last night here in Northern Utah, not only pellet snow but big wet flakes as well, ended up with about 4 inches. We are still colder than you, only in the 40s today.

lisa said...

You said a mouthful there! We see the ground and the next thing you know we are seeing the snow again. We had snow the other day and it melted now it is calling for more again. We always seem to get the wind when the weather seems to clear out!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

After reading this I had to go look at the weather radar map to see where our last storm went. It looks like it moved fast toward the northeast, spreading out as it went. Colt's track meet had to be canceled because of the snow on Saturday. They rescheduled for next Tuesday, and of course the forecast is showing snow for then too.

Gail said...

Doing a rain dance for you!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I would be happy to send you some of the 6 inches of snow we have gotten since "spring " started! Hope you get some rian its scary to be so dry!

Dreaming said...

Yup, winds were terrible here, too. I had to lean into the wind just to get to the barn. I made an executive decision not to let the horses out. Not sure whether they liked that, or not, but I didn't particularly care to take them over to the pasture we have been using!
More wind today - but not nearly as bad.

Deb said...

we have had strong winds here in Texas also....

Unknown said...

Sending you damp thoughts. It's getting a little dry over here too...

Reddunappy said...

Gaahhh I wish I could send you some of our rain!! March came in like a lion around these parts! It is very very wet here on the west coast of Wa.
I just want it to dry out enough so I can ride, sigh....

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

ugh - the "W" word! we had some of that - maybe it was the same day. the forecast said "possible property damage" under 'Warning'. nothing blew away though!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

The Wades said...

Dippin' Dots=very creative. :)

Yeah, not enjoying all the wind. Guess it just makes us appreciate when it dies down, huh? (When will it die down?!)