I just wanted Cheryl Ann of Desert Horses and Sandy of Where My Heart Lives to know that their knitted hats are on their way to them. I was able to get to the P.O. before the storm hit on Monday.
These two hats are kind of a big deal for me, because it’s the first time I’ve ever had anyone ask to buy my knitted items. So, it was a real honor to be offered money in return for my talents and for doing something I enjoy. And it pleases me to no end imagining other folks wearing items that I've made for them, too.
So without further ado, I introduce you to my first commissioned knit hats! (lol!)
I must admit these two are probably my favorite hats I’ve made. Both Cheryl Ann and Sandy asked what color yarns I had left at home and I told them, a whole lot of variegated blue. In the past I’ve made knit hats for men or boys using this yarn, so I never considered that any women would like it, too. Of course, I did add the fuzzy, fancy yarn to blend with it, which gives it a nice soft, girlie look. But I’ve made so many purple colored hats over the past 4 years that I’m all out of purple, and I’m kind of glad. These blue hats are da bomb!
And if you’ve been reading my blog for any amount of time, you also know that I give my creations their own names. I don’t spend much time thinking up names, though. Rather, I let them names themselves, which happens usually very soon into the project. The name just sort of materializes into my thoughts.
This thick, soft, snuggly hat soon became “Icicle Lake”, probably because the fuzzy outer yarn resembles icicles, while the darker variegated navy blue yarn beneath resembles a lake.
I added a narrow brim at the bottom to give it more shape, snugness, and to keep some of the fluffy fuzziness out of the eyes.
And this colorful, thick, soft hat struggled with a name during the knitting process, but when the hat was complete, it immediately became “Sky Circus” because the colors in this hat are all of the colors that one would see if enjoying a New Mexico sunset. It exudes fun, playfulness and a sense of freedom. (I know. Seems like a lot of words describing a simple hat. But why not? Life is too short not to be creative and fun)
For this hat I left out a brim because Sandy preferred to be able to just roll her hat up or down as she desired. So, I created a much longer style for her to have the freedom to do this, instead. I also used three different kinds of yarns: the variegated blue yarn, the fancy fuzzy light blue yarn, and a multi-colored variegated fancy fuzzy yarn.
Oooh! I want one of each for me. But alas, these are one-of-a-kind designs. The yarn store is all out of the fancy fuzzy blue yarn. *pout*
So, ladies, be on the look-out for your Noggin’ Warmers (Hey! Maybe I’m onto something there?).
And Gail of At the Farm, I’m still working on your hat. All I had here at home was some turquoise mohair/wool yarn, and nothing festive to blend it with, so I visited the yarn store last week….and well, you’ll just have to wait to see it, until I give you a peek in a future post. I will be nice and give you a hint that your hat’s name is “Confetti Cactus”. hee hee.
23 comments :
Those hat/caps are gorgeous! You do beautiful work. We are freezing our hinneys off down here in SE Texas, might even have snow flurries on Friday. ~~sigh~~
Very nice. You have a talent.
Dan
Oh My I LOVE the blue too! I can attest to the warmth of your hats =) I LOVE mine thank you so much!
oh girl they are beautiful...I am able to follow your blog again...I dont know what was going on but it left my blog roll and wouldn't let me put you back...
Very nice work! Do you still spin your own wool from the llamas?
Those are so beautiful! You make me really want to learn how to knit. You have great talent!
Lovely hats! :)
Wow Lisa your woolly creations are so beautiful. I am not sure I would be able to part with them :)
Wow, thanks, I didn't know I had a hat coming!!!
These are stunning!!!
The blue is pretty - actually all of the fuzzy hats are beautiful. The fluff makes them special. I will have to say I love my purple hat. I was 'wearing' it in a drawing I made of me feeding the boys (on today's post)!
Wow, what cute hats!!! Love them both, good job!
hugs....
jane
Hey Gail,
Remember when I e-mailed you last week and said I'd like to make you a hat in place of that book I tried to get ordered for you (the blogging dog book that you won during the contest)?
Either way, surprise! lol!
Sure hope you like it. I finished it tonight and will get it sent out next week.
~Lisa
I'll buy a hat!!! I've always wanted a nice hand knitted hat. Yours are beautiful.
I have a friend that knitts but when I mention it to her I guess she forgets about me in between knitting for her five kids. Can't imagine how that could happen;)
Those are great , and what a beautiful blue! sure would good againts all my white snow ! Congrats on your first Noggin warmers sales!
Oh, I can't WAIT to receive my hat!!!! Your hats are beautiful, Lisa! Thank you so much!!!
Very nice. You could open up shop on etsy.com.
Beautiful work Lisa, I love that blue!!!
My Aunt Lily and her daughter Joyce were knitters extraordinaire - they also did needlepoint and tatting (is that what it's called - when you make lacey stuff?) I was always amazed at what they could create. I, unfortunately, am not gifted in that area :(
Your "Noggin Warmers" are truly beautiful! The colors are so bright and cheerful. A head would definitely be warm and happy under one of those!!
Lisa,
re: your comment, i think that it's incredible that you have 300 letterboxes, considering how sparse letterboxes are in comparison with geocaches. impressive! i have to go a really long way here to find a letterbox, but whenever we find one, it makes me happy cuz i love having those in my statistics. (hybrids)
They are both gorgeous. I can't decide which one I like better! You are very creative to combine the yarn like that.
I love those blue colors!
Oh My Goodness! My new hat is FAMOUS! It was here on your blog before it will be on my head, for all the world to see.
I am so, so honored.
Thanks so much for my piece of the New Mexico sky.
Beautiful, I need to get home and get mine, I could have used it over the past couple of days..:-)
Post a Comment