Sunday, May 25, 2008

Angora Love

Lately we've been working with our angora goats. John doesn't like the angoras at all because they are bossy and head butt all the other goats and sheep. John is very fond of Moon Pie and Pepper and dislikes seeing the angoras pick on them. And they do.
But the angoras serve a purpose on our ranch and they are quite valuable. I also have a very soft spot for my Luna, our first Angora, who I rescued from a bad situation. She will always have a home here on Laughing Orca Ranch.

Well, we've been applying the 'Tellington Touch" technique that I first learned about through my llama training and care guide books. And it seems to be working. All the angora goats are tamer and will allow us to pet and hold them. And they are not as pushy with us and will respect us when we tell them to back off and leave the other goats and sheep alone. It's not perfect yet. But we are enjoying our angoras a whole lot more now.

My 5 year old daughter, who has OCD and mild Aspergers, practically lives in the barn, and loves communing with the critters. All of the animals seem to enjoy her being around because she is gentle, quiet and doesn't harrass or chase them around. It's also very therapeutic for her, too, because the animals accept her and are affectionate and gentle with her, too.

I couldn't choose just one photo from the following because they all make me smile.

Here Luna, the Queen goat, is gently taking pellets from Jenna's hand. Look at Lily's cute face!

Luna was licking and kissing on Jenna's arm and making her laugh. Cloud, our gelding, sure has come around in his friendliness, too. He has some very sharp, curved outwards horns, though. They make me a little nervous. I think he has a more male face compared to our two females.
Everyone waiting patiently for their pellets. They are doing good, too. They could easily mow Jenna right down. Lily is more reserved and tends to stay back.
"Everyone take turns, please" Even Cataleya, our female llama wants a nibble.

7 comments :

Carla said...

You've done well by those goats. I can't believe they don't have Jenna on the ground and aren't helping themselves to the snacks!
Could you blunt the tips of Cloud's horns with a rasp?
Lucky, lucky Jenna to have a barnyard full of love!

Pat - Arkansas said...

I love the story of how you rescued Luna! I'm so glad you have her. She looks like such a sweet animal!

Pony Girl said...

Those are sweet pictures. It appears your daughter has a special way with the animals. I believe animals are so therapeutic, for anyone! Just petting an animal can lower your blood pressure. I want to start volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding program again. I did it years ago.
I would be a little afraid of those horns, too! I am completely comfortable around my sister's nubian and alpine (neither of them have horns) but do not like to go near the two la manchas! They both have huge horns!

Robbyn said...

Those are the neatest pictures! I love watching children with animals...I really loved being with animals ever since a young age, and thought they were often much nicer than some people :)

Christy said...

How sweet! Looks like the angoras are getting pretty sweet.

Anonymous said...

Aww, those pictures with your daughter and the goats are so cute! They seem very gentle. I've read about TTouch a few times, and I really want to try it with Daisy, but I don't really know how to do it...is it hard?

sugarcreekstuff said...

I wouldn't have been able to pick just one of those adorable photos either. So sweet.